What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

84 Baby

Referee
images

Gronk

Staff member

Shadow of Michael Jennings still looms over the Eels​

Michael Jennings’ suspension after a failed drug test has hampered the Eels ever since news broke during last year’s finals. Michael Jennings’ suspension after a failed drug test has hampered the Eels ever since news broke during last year’s finals.

authors

Haze Dunster’s last finals appearance was also his first. Not just his first finals game, but his first game in first grade. The Parramatta winger can look back now with a sense of mirth but it was no laughing matter for Dunster or the Eels at the end of last season, on the morning of their last game.
For all the talk about Parramatta’s inability to win big matches, and coach Brad Arthur’s failure to get his side over the finals hump, it’s worth reflecting on events of last year and the remarkable way their game against South Sydney in the second week of the finals unfolded.
Dunster, who will make his second finals appearance when he plays on the wing against Newcastle on Sunday at Browne Park in Rockhampton, was a central figure in one of the most bizarre days in recent finals history.

READ NEXT​

It was a moment that continues to have ramifications for the Eels to this day. Parramatta have never really replaced Michael Jennings, the star centre who was notified by anti-doping officials of a failed drugs test on the morning of the game when the turned up at his house, knocked on his door and seized his mobile phone and laptop for forensic analysis.
Sports Integrity Australia declined to comment when contacted by News Corp about the progress of Jennings’ case but it is understood the NRL is still waiting to hear whether the 33-year-old intends to fight the allegations — at the time of initial ban he vowed to clear his name and claimed he was shocked to find himself in that position after returning a positive test to two banned substances.
Jennings is facing a four-year ban but he can have his suspension reduced to three years if he elects not to fight the allegations. A decision is imminent according to sources with knowledge of the situation.
Regardless, his career appears over and the Eels are still trying to fill the void. Dunster was given the chance last year at the 11th hour on a day that will live long in his memory.
He had gone to bed late the night before, having watched ‘Blades of Glory’ with his then partner, expecting to take a seat in the stand the following afternoon against the Rabbitohs.
His phone rang early the next morning, one of a flurry of phone calls made by Arthur on the day of the game. The Eels had been shocked from their slumber by the stunning news surrounding Jennings.
Arthur can’t remember who called him. He can remember what happened next as he did his level best to stop his side unravelling. His first call was to Jennings to make sure he was OK. He called chief executive Jim Sarantinos around 6.30am.
To the best of Sarantinos’ recollection, he was still in bed. While Sarantinos devoted the ensuing hours to notifying sponsors and members, Arthur started reaching out to players.
Dunster, who had been flogged by the training staff the previous day to make sure he was in good condition should he be needed at some point in the finals, wondered what he had done wrong when Arthur’s name flashed on his phone.
Arthur asked Dunster what he was doing and what he had done the previous night? You didn’t get on the piss, Arthur asked.
“It was pretty crazy,” Dunster recalled.
“The night before — usually if you aren’t playing you do your own thing — I had a real chilled night. I stayed up real late watching movies with my partner.
“We went to bed around 12 expecting a nice sleep-in and then to go and get brekkie. I got a call pretty early from Brad. Lucky I checked and didn’t let it ring out.
“He said ‘are you ready to play footy today’. I said ‘what do you mean?’ He explained the situation and I was like ‘oh yeah’. From there, I had to start prepping for the game.
“There were so many emotions I was excited and happy, but also shitting it at the same time. I wasn’t prepped to play a game and then I was in a final.
“The Rabbits were in hot form. He (Arthur) told me not to tell anyone. But I told my old man as he came back from work.
“That got me emotional. Then I had to call a few family members. It felt like a dream.”
Arthur called Waqa Blake and told him to look after his rookie winger. Blake promised to do just that. He then made his way around the team and told them of the news.
Rather than drop their heads, they gritted their teeth. The Eels put up a fight against Souths but their season ended in the second half, the game turning on a Mitchell Moses shot at goal that hit the post.
As they prepare to return to the finals this weekend, Jennings’ inglorious absence continues to sting. The former NSW and Australian centre was largely unsighted after his suspension and has kept his head down since, save for a civil court case involving his former partner earlier this year.
His social media account has been sparsely used and the only images are those celebrating his family and the baby girl he and his current partner welcomed into the world earlier this year.
References to the Eels are few and far between — the last image involving rugby league was in May last year. At his best, he was an elite player, good enough to play 18 State of Origin games and seven Tests.
How Parramatta could do with that class heading into Sunday. Outside backs have been an issue all season for Arthur. The club bought Tom Opacic before Jennings’ ban as backup, but he has become a regular member of the side.
In recent weeks, teenager Will Penisini has had his chance and held his hands up. That said, the Eels miss the defensive fortitude and experience that Jennings once gave them.
Their desire to find a worthy replacement was highlighted when they launched a bid to steal Kotoni Staggs from the Broncos, only to fall short.
They head into the finals with their faith placed in Penisini, his elevation to first grade for such an important game no doubt coming ahead of schedule.
Arthur’s preference is not to delve into the past, but to focus on the future. He stayed in touch with Jennings after the suspension but drifted out of touch when the centre’s contract was finally terminated by the club earlier this year.
His immediate and only focus is on finding a way past the Knights this weekend and ending their horrific run in the finals — they have lost five of their past six post-season appearances under Arthur.
In Arthur’s defence, they have been outsiders on most of those occasions. Three of those losses have been to the mighty Melbourne Storm. They will start as favourites on Sunday against the Knights.
“We’re training well, they are rested and they are ready to go,” Arthur said.
“We have no excuses. Blokes have a bit more experience under their belt, we have a bit more combination, we have learnt things along the way.
“We had a tough period for a month with we have rebounded from OK. Sometimes you get just as much out of losing as winning if you do something about it.”

Gronk

Staff member
Paywalled. I’m guessing Kenny has backflipped because no team has conquered Storm like us and (apart from hooker) we are fresh and fit and have good players who can’t make the 17.

BB78CB3B-324F-4CFC-83EC-39BE06465204.jpeg

Latest posts