What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

King-Gutho94

Coach
Not only the 3 in a row but after that we then play the Tigers who have the bye the week after.
Well at least we don’t have one of them easy draws. Who’d want one of those
We saw last year a soft draw only gets you so far.

Sharks were cannon fodder in the semis.

And the cowboys crumbled in the heat against us.

Johnny88

Juniors
NRL 2023: Inside story of Parramatta’s five failed bids to overturn Ryan Matterson ban decision
Parramatta made five attempts to reverse Ryan Matterson’s bizarre decision to accept a three-game ban over a $4000 fine - but the Eels forward had unwittingly sealed his fate.

Dean Ritchie

It might not be the only time the Eels go 0-5 this season.
Parramatta tried and failed five times to backflip on Ryan Matterson’s bizarre decision to accept a three-game ban over a $4000 fine, with revelations the back-row star’s own comments helped cement his fate.
Matterson has been named to return to Parramatta’s line-up in their grand final rematch against Penrith on Thursday night after watching his teammates struggle to a winless start to the NRL season

.The Eels’ premiership hopes go on the line against the Panthers in round 4 because the only team that has started the season 0-3 and won the comp in the NRL era was the Cowboys in 2015.
Things don’t get any easier next week when they face the Sydney Roosters.

Ryan Matterson will play for the first time since the grand final. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images
The Daily Telegraph can reveal the five different ways the Eels attempted to overturn Matterson’s decision to accept a ban for his grand final crusher tackle.
However, the NRL code states when a player determines his plea, and a penalty is applied, there is no legal avenue for the matter to be reopened.
Matterson was granted an extension to enter his plea. A hearing was offered before a result was reached but Parramatta declined.

“If a player, after receiving a notice of charge, elects within the meaning of Rule 57 to: (a) Plead guilty to the offence and accept the grading, he shall be allocated the ‘Early Plea’ penalty for the offence provided for under the Second Schedule and, subject only to Rules 47E and 47G, the proceedings will thereby be concluded,” the code reads.

It’s claimed Matterson was suffering from concussion and had been enjoying post-grand final beers when he made his decision.

While acknowledging that may be the case, the NRL was legally unable to change Matterson’s plea.
The Daily Telegraph has been told Parramatta management – through barrister Stephen Stanton - lodged an application to revisit Matterson’s decision.
Eels chairman Sean McElduff and general manager of football, Mark O’Neill, attempted to meet with NRL CEO Andrew Abdo and ARLC chairman Peter V’landys over the matter. However, they were unable to intervene given the judiciary is independent.
Parramatta also sought to meet with judiciary chairman, Geoff Bellew, who rejected the application.
After being charged, Matterson gave reasons behind his decision to accept a suspension over a fine, which NRL insiders say show the back-rower reached a clear decision.
“I just feel that $4000 is pretty hefty considering I have already paid close to $4000 in fines this year for things that are absurd,” Matterson said.
“At the end of the day I have personal things I need to worry about outside of rugby league. I just didn’t think it was warranted. If you do something wrong at work they don’t take money off you. I didn’t do anything wrong. I’m playing rugby league.”

Matterson and Parramatta incorrectly thought trial matches may be included in the three-game suspension.
Privately, Parramatta felt Matterson wasn’t given natural justice, something the NRL quickly denied.
IN DEFENCE OF THEIR TEAMMATE

Chipmunk

Coach
The person in the club who allowed the situation to get to the point where the club signed off on Matterson accepting the 3 games should've been sacked immediately last season. It is pure amateurism it was allowed to happen.

The club then trying to get out of it five times after the event is pure amateur hour at best. Accept your decision to sign off on it was pathetic and move on. If the person was sacked over it, then maybe I can accept the five times they tried to get out of it.

Once the NRL decided there was money involved, including a ladder, for pre-season matches, the club should've returned to the NRL and insisted that the pre-season matches count. It appears they made another amateur hour decision not to bother at that point.

The entire situation has been an amateur hour shit show from the outset, where every other player and club is laughing at Matterson and Parra and thinking what the f**k were those f**kwits thinking!!!

emjaycee

Coach
I'm not chasing anyone - unlike yourself being third man in again it seems?

I replied to/about Pou's last quote only - the one from the journo's closing comment, about an article titled re our 2023 season chances. Hence the focus on discussion in the thread/re the post about... the meaningfulnees of this week's game to our 2023 season chances, and helpfully bringing Pou back on topic.

He may have a difference of opinion to me about the importance of this week's game, but once we cleared the fluff away, he could state that clearly and he and I could agree to disagree on that.

Having (again) explained that, enjoy your chasing - though it seems to indicate you have a chip on your shoulder, or maybe need to relax about things?

View attachment 71532
No chip and no relaxation required.
I just dont like pendantic hypocrites.

King-Gutho94

Coach

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Do you often blatantly lie?

The first of Pou's quotes from said article was a quote made by McElduff specifically about Arthur's contract extension. And the other 2 quotes of Pou's were from the closing comment of the journalist.

Seriously, you need to stop chasing Pou so hard mate. It's embarrassing for you.
He lacks self awareness.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm not chasing anyone - unlike yourself being third man in again it seems?

I replied to/about Pou's last quote only - the one from the journo's closing comment, about an article titled re our 2023 season chances. Hence the focus on discussion in the thread/re the post about... the meaningfulnees of this week's game to our 2023 season chances, and helpfully bringing Pou back on topic.

He may have a difference of opinion to me about the importance of this week's game, but once we cleared the fluff away, he could state that clearly and he and I could agree to disagree on that.

Having (again) explained that, enjoy your chasing - though it seems to indicate you have a chip on your shoulder, or maybe need to relax about things?

View attachment 71532
No I quite clearly stated this week’s game matters for no other reason than because it’s worth two points. People looking for revenge or trying to tie the result to the ability of the coach will be the exceptions.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The person in the club who allowed the situation to get to the point where the club signed off on Matterson
Is the club even part of the process? If it’s not in the playing contract I don’t see how the club gets a say. Their only recourse is next time he’s off contract.

Rocket man

Juniors
It was requested by the players association during the cba negotiation
Why not have a system like yellow card that can be issued by the MRC. 2 or 3 yellows cards could = 1 match suspension.
Players are on notice after their 1st yellow card.
If the attacking player backs into defenders and a crusher is the result the attacking player must bear some responsibility.

yy_cheng

Coach
Why not have a system like yellow card that can be issued by the MRC. 2 or 3 yellows cards could = 1 match suspension.
Players are on notice after their 1st yellow card.
If the attacking player backs into defenders and a crusher is the result the attacking player must bear some responsibility.
They wanted to pay the fine so they don't miss out on playing.

For the nrl, the stars stay on the field

Latest posts