What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

King-Gutho94

Coach
to be fair 98% of those merkins he coached he virtually developed himself, despite Waldron's f**kery...

imagine if he had uncle Nick by his side?
I think his coaching in the past 5 years has been better then the first 15 with the plodders he has had since 2020.

Like he had Cameron smith out there being able to manage the refs, opposition and coach his own side out there for 15 years which was a big advantage.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think his coaching in the past 5 years has been better then the first 15 with the plodders he has had since 2020.

Like he had Cameron smith out there being able to manage the refs, opposition and coach his own side out there for 15 years which was a big advantage.
now you've done it...

waiting for @Poupou Escobar to come back with the ole, maybe we should of given BA another 6 years then...

eels_fan

First Grade
you can look at it from that angle...

or you can give them a bit of credit for having a decent crack at a guy who would probably never want to coach another NRL side.
Mate I’m 100% glad that the board has a red hot go and trying to get the best in the business, they deserve plaudits for that. I just wish we weren’t the basket case we are that makes a rebuild seem too depressing for the best to want to take it on

King-Gutho94

Coach
FFS don't remind me!

200w.gif
That series was more humiliating then getting beat by 50 by a champion team in whatever year that happened.

Johnny88

Juniors
NRL 2024: Parramatta Eels targeted Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy with $10m contract to replace Brad Arthur
Before securing Jason Ryles as their new head coach, Parramatta offered Storm coach Craig Bellamy an NRL record $10 million contract to replace Brad Arthur and save the strife-torn Eels.
Peter Badel
Travis Meyn
and
Brent Read

Strife-torn Parramatta secretly targeted Craig Bellamy and offered the Melbourne super coach an NRL record $10 million contract in a stunning big-money bid to poach him from the Storm.
As he prepares for his 10th grand-final in Sunday night’s clash against Penrith, this masthead can reveal the Eels tabled the richest coaching contract in rugby league’s 116-year history to lure Bellamy out of Melbourne.
The Eels were on the hunt for a new coach following the termination of Brad Arthur and attempted to blow Melbourne out of the water with a deal that seemed too good for Bellamy to refuse.
Parramatta’s pursuit of Bellamy is entirely feasible given Bellamy’s success this season in winning the minor premiership, the Dally M coach of the year award and steering the Storm to a 10th decider.

It’s understood Parramatta powerbrokers had drawn up a hit list of potential successors to Arthur and they made inquiries with several candidates, including Wayne Bennett, who ultimately joined South Sydney.
But Bellamy was a key target.
Mindful of his 20-year association with Melbourne, Eels chiefs knew it would take a monumental effort to entice Bellamy and they were armed with a four-year contract worth an estimated $2.5 million a season.
Bellamy signed a five-year deal with Melbourne in 2022 that allows him to decide each year whether he will continue in the head coach role for the following season or transition into another role at the club.
The 65-year-old held preliminary talks with the Eels but money wasn’t a driving factor in his decision to knock back Parramatta and stay loyal to the Storm.
While he appreciated Parramatta’s interest, Bellamy was mindful of the rebuilding task required at the Eels and the perils of leaving a Melbourne club with a cultural bedrock of sustained success
After announcing the appointment of Jason Ryles as their new head coach in July, Eels chair Sean McElduff revealed the club had originally set their sights on seven-time premiership winner Wayne Bennett.
What wasn’t made public was the plan to sign Bellamy, who many believe has now surpassed Bennett as the greatest coach in the game’s history.
Eels sources confirmed on Thursday that Bellamy had been approached, but insisted talks failed to progress to the pointy end because the three-time premiership winner was under contract with the Storm.
It is understood Bellamy’s current contract with Melbourne makes him the highest-paid coach in the game on a deal worth almost $2 million a season.
Any club looking to prise him out of Melbourne would likely need to pay him significantly more.
Parramatta were willing to do just that, although sources close to the Eels insist talks did not reach a decisive stage because Bellamy indicated he wanted to stay in Melbourne.
Thus, the Eels became the latest club to try and fail in a bid to land the signature of Bellamy, who has rejected bids from Brisbane, the Dragons, Cronulla, Gold Coast, the Warriors and Wests Tigers during his Storm tenure.

Getty Images
Storm chairman Matt Tripp said he was always wary of poaching bids for Bellamy, but insisted the newly-minted NRL coach of the year is not motivated by money alone.
“The truth is Craig has been offered much more money by other clubs than we can give him,” Tripp said.
“If Craig was motivated just by money, he would have taken the offers and we wouldn’t have him anymore.
“Over the years, of course, money talks, but I think he’s in a really good place at the moment.
“I’d be incredibly surprised if Craig got the urge to go to another club, or even a start-up (expansion) club, because of his familiarity with Melbourne and what he has created here.”
Having missed out on Bellamy, the Eels are entirely satisfied with the appointment of his former Storm assistant Ryles and backing the 45-year-old to lead a blue-and-gold revival.
Bellamy, whose contract expires at the end of 2026, said he is never complacent at the Storm and humbled by regular interest from NRL rivals.
“One thing I never try to do is get too happy about things because there is always something around the corner to give you a slap in the face and wake you up again,” Bellamy said.
“I’ll keep making the decisions I think are right for the club and not myself.
“You’ve got to make the right decisions for the team and the whole club.
“That’s one thing I’ll always hold dear and see as really important and will try to do that.”

Bellamy’s greatness as an NRL coach is now set in stone.
Even allowing for Melbourne’s salary-cap breach which saw the club stripped of titles in 2007 and 2009, Bellamy will clinch his fourth official premiership if the Storm prevail over Penrith on Sunday night.
He has claims to being one of the finest coaches in the history of Australian sport.
Football’s Ange Postecoglou dominated the National Soccer League and the A-League, delivered the Socceroos’ only major trophy and has won leagues in Scotland and Japan.
Bennett has won seven NRL premierships, while Alastair Clarkson won four flags (2008, 2013-15) from five grand finals at Hawthorn.
Such is Bellamy’s dominance, he has well outlasted Clarkson, with his 10 grand-final appearances spanning an 18-year period dating back to 2006.
Bellamy will be a free agent when two new expansion clubs, the Western Bears and Papua New Guinea, are tipped to enter the NRL in 2027-28, but Tripp is determined to keep him at the Storm for life.
“To be honest, the greatness of Craig is that he is coaching better now than he ever has,” Tripp said.
“He’s contracted with us until 2026 and we’ve got a rolling arrangement where in March or April each year, Craig has a think about things.
“He will tell me whether he was to stay as head coach or move into a mentoring role.
“Part of Craig’s strength is that he makes average players good and good players great.
“There’s always going to be interest naturally in a coach of Craig’s ability, but with what he’s created, I think he’d like to see it out at Melbourne.”

Gazzamatta

Coach
NRL 2024: Parramatta Eels targeted Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy with $10m contract to replace Brad Arthur
Before securing Jason Ryles as their new head coach, Parramatta offered Storm coach Craig Bellamy an NRL record $10 million contract to replace Brad Arthur and save the strife-torn Eels.
Peter Badel
Travis Meyn
and
Brent Read

Strife-torn Parramatta secretly targeted Craig Bellamy and offered the Melbourne super coach an NRL record $10 million contract in a stunning big-money bid to poach him from the Storm.
As he prepares for his 10th grand-final in Sunday night’s clash against Penrith, this masthead can reveal the Eels tabled the richest coaching contract in rugby league’s 116-year history to lure Bellamy out of Melbourne.
The Eels were on the hunt for a new coach following the termination of Brad Arthur and attempted to blow Melbourne out of the water with a deal that seemed too good for Bellamy to refuse.
Parramatta’s pursuit of Bellamy is entirely feasible given Bellamy’s success this season in winning the minor premiership, the Dally M coach of the year award and steering the Storm to a 10th decider.

It’s understood Parramatta powerbrokers had drawn up a hit list of potential successors to Arthur and they made inquiries with several candidates, including Wayne Bennett, who ultimately joined South Sydney.
Mindful of his 20-year association with Melbourne, Eels chiefs knew it would take a monumental effort to entice Bellamy and they were armed with a four-year contract worth an estimated $2.5 million a season.
Bellamy signed a five-year deal with Melbourne in 2022 that allows him to decide each year whether he will continue in the head coach role for the following season or transition into another role at the club.
The 65-year-old held preliminary talks with the Eels but money wasn’t a driving factor in his decision to knock back Parramatta and stay loyal to the Storm.
While he appreciated Parramatta’s interest, Bellamy was mindful of the rebuilding task required at the Eels and the perils of leaving a Melbourne club with a cultural bedrock of sustained success
After announcing the appointment of Jason Ryles as their new head coach in July, Eels chair Sean McElduff revealed the club had originally set their sights on seven-time premiership winner Wayne Bennett.
What wasn’t made public was the plan to sign Bellamy, who many believe has now surpassed Bennett as the greatest coach in the game’s history.
Eels sources confirmed on Thursday that Bellamy had been approached, but insisted talks failed to progress to the pointy end because the three-time premiership winner was under contract with the Storm.
It is understood Bellamy’s current contract with Melbourne makes him the highest-paid coach in the game on a deal worth almost $2 million a season.
Any club looking to prise him out of Melbourne would likely need to pay him significantly more.
Parramatta were willing to do just that, although sources close to the Eels insist talks did not reach a decisive stage because Bellamy indicated he wanted to stay in Melbourne.
Thus, the Eels became the latest club to try and fail in a bid to land the signature of Bellamy, who has rejected bids from Brisbane, the Dragons, Cronulla, Gold Coast, the Warriors and Wests Tigers during his Storm tenure.

Getty Images
Storm chairman Matt Tripp said he was always wary of poaching bids for Bellamy, but insisted the newly-minted NRL coach of the year is not motivated by money alone.
“The truth is Craig has been offered much more money by other clubs than we can give him,” Tripp said.
“If Craig was motivated just by money, he would have taken the offers and we wouldn’t have him anymore.
“Over the years, of course, money talks, but I think he’s in a really good place at the moment.
“I’d be incredibly surprised if Craig got the urge to go to another club, or even a start-up (expansion) club, because of his familiarity with Melbourne and what he has created here.”
Having missed out on Bellamy, the Eels are entirely satisfied with the appointment of his former Storm assistant Ryles and backing the 45-year-old to lead a blue-and-gold revival.
Bellamy, whose contract expires at the end of 2026, said he is never complacent at the Storm and humbled by regular interest from NRL rivals.
“One thing I never try to do is get too happy about things because there is always something around the corner to give you a slap in the face and wake you up again,” Bellamy said.
“That’s one thing I’ll always hold dear and see as really important and will try to do that.”

Even allowing for Melbourne’s salary-cap breach which saw the club stripped of titles in 2007 and 2009, Bellamy will clinch his fourth official premiership if the Storm prevail over Penrith on Sunday night.
He has claims to being one of the finest coaches in the history of Australian sport.
Football’s Ange Postecoglou dominated the National Soccer League and the A-League, delivered the Socceroos’ only major trophy and has won leagues in Scotland and Japan.
Bennett has won seven NRL premierships, while Alastair Clarkson won four flags (2008, 2013-15) from five grand finals at Hawthorn.
Such is Bellamy’s dominance, he has well outlasted Clarkson, with his 10 grand-final appearances spanning an 18-year period dating back to 2006.
Bellamy will be a free agent when two new expansion clubs, the Western Bears and Papua New Guinea, are tipped to enter the NRL in 2027-28, but Tripp is determined to keep him at the Storm for life.
“To be honest, the greatness of Craig is that he is coaching better now than he ever has,” Tripp said.
“He’s contracted with us until 2026 and we’ve got a rolling arrangement where in March or April each year, Craig has a think about things.
“He will tell me whether he was to stay as head coach or move into a mentoring role.
“Part of Craig’s strength is that he makes average players good and good players great.
“There’s always going to be interest naturally in a coach of Craig’s ability, but with what he’s created, I think he’d like to see it out at Melbourne.”

Ta J88. 👍

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's not that we don't have money, it's that we haven't been willing to spend enough of it.
Also other clubs have more money.

I can't read the article so not sure over how many years this $10m was over, but from the outside looking in it seems a crazy decision to turn down that amount of money. He either really wants to retire soon, does not want to leave Melbourne or is afraid of f**king up his legacy with another team away from the Storm system.
Yep. We have cash. They have resources. Bellamy knows the difference.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Mate I’m 100% glad that the board has a red hot go and trying to get the best in the business, they deserve plaudits for that. I just wish we weren’t the basket case we are that makes a rebuild seem too depressing for the best to want to take it on
Rebuilding isn’t something a coach does in 2024. It starts at the top. Owners/board members, financial backers, executive staff, etc. Below all of them are the likes of the head coach and GM football. Bellamy is a cog in the machine over there. Is it really worth $2.5M to move to Sydney and suddenly have to take responsibility for the entire club?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Peter Badel
Travis Meyn
and
Brent Read

Getty Images

So a great coach wants to stay in Melbourne, which means if he wants to coach in the NRL the Storm are his only option. That’s a geographical resource. On top of that he feels loyalty to the club. Another resource money (apparently) can’t buy.

Incorrect

Coach
I'm always skeptical about any media article as contracts are always confidential

those amounts could have included incentives like finals and GFs and if none of those were achieved it may have been considerably less
Sceptical when it suits. I recall you referencing an article you couldn't source a while back saying Reed was on $700K+ at the Dogs.... You were happy to take an absent media article as gospel that day.... Don't worry, you're not the only only one around here who flip flops on this....

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Sceptical when it suits. I recall you referencing an article you couldn't source a while back saying Reed was on $700K+ at the Dogs.... You were happy to take an absent media article as gospel that day.... Don't worry, you're not the only only one around here who flip flops on this....
Soccer Player GIF

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Peter Badel
Travis Meyn
and
Brent Read
4 min read
October 4, 2024 - 6:00AM
News Sport Network

Not the usual Buzz Hooper article but these 3 other Muppets
Great to hear that we tried this.

So we have $, but not enough resources in place to attract someone like Bellamy.

Makes sense when you think about it. Why would Bellamy take big money to tackle a basket case when he can stay with a club that has all of the systems and resources in place to deliver success?

I don’t know how resources has become a proxy for money on this forum. It’s never been the case in my entire working life and never will be.

You can have lots of money and piss it away because you have stupid people, stupid systems and a lack of leadership across your organisation.

Melbourne don’t have to try and offer Bellamy the same money, because he knows they are a far better club.

Latest posts