What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels keen to discuss Smith's future

The Colonel

Immortal
Eels keen to discuss Smith's future

By Greg Prichard
September 27, 2005

Next year is shaping up to be Brian Smith's last as Parramatta coach - regardless of whether he finally realises his dream of winning a premiership with the Eels.

Smith is contracted until the end of next year and Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald yesterday said the club would honour that deal.

But at the same time, Fitzgerald revealed the club planned to make a decision on Smith's future beyond 2006 before the start of next season.

"There have been no discussions at this stage, but we will be speaking to Brian about the situation at the end of this year," Fitzgerald said.

"We would like to make a decision in regard to the ongoing situation sooner rather than later, and I would like to think that would be in place prior to the start of next season.

"It's important to know which direction you are heading in by then rather than wait until halfway through the year, when you might be trying to attract players or whatever, so that there is no uncertainty."

Fitzgerald refused to give any indication on whether an early decision meant it was more likely Smith would finish up next year.
But the plan for a decision to be made before the Eels get the chance to play another game in anger can hardly be viewed as a good sign for his longevity after the bitterly disappointing way in which the team finished the season on Sunday.

Parramatta started as hot favourites in the second preliminary final against North Queensland at Telstra Stadium, but were thrashed 29-0.

The Herald understands there are no plans at board level at the Eels to offer Smith an extension on his current deal.

Calls for the sacking of Smith and Fitzgerald have come following the loss to the Cowboys but the chief executive defended both the coach and himself.

"We are not going anywhere," Fitzgerald said. "Brian has still got a year to go on his current contract and I think he's done a good job. It was a disappointing result, that's for sure, but this season was a big improvement on last year. We won the minor premiership and saw terrific young players like Tim Smith and Ben Smith being developed. Plus, older players like Eric Grothe, PJ Marsh and Dean Widders made substantial improvements.

"There is plenty of depth coming through, with our lower grades being in the finals, so we should have a good year next year."

Asked if he remained convinced that Smith could win the club a premiership, Fitzgerald replied: "He's got as good a chance as anyone, I believe.

"We started the season poorly, which wasn't unexpected since we had put a new team together, but we finished very strongly.

"We didn't play well [in the preliminary final], but I tend to think that if we played the Cowboys five times we would beat them four times."

Fitzgerald said he would discuss the game at greater length with Smith soon.

"I talked to Brian briefly in the dressing room after the game," he said. "Now is not the time to go into it at length. We'll talk about it again later in the week.

"My view is that the players looked over-enthusiastic to try to do something on every play and didn't give the ball sufficient respect.

"Our completion rate was right down on what it had been this year."

Next year will be Smith's 10th as Parramatta coach and his contract is understood to be worth $400,000 annually, making him one of the highest-paid coaches in the NRL.

There is no doubt about Smith's technical ability as a coach, but his critics point to Parramatta's stunning failures in several big end-of-season games over the years.

Still, Smith's players stoutly defended him in the wake of Sunday's loss.

"It had nothing to do with him," Grothe commented after the game. "He leaves no stone unturned."

Parramatta captain Nathan Cayless added yesterday: "Personally, I get sick of all that sort of stuff, bagging the coach. He prepares us as well as any coach could prepare a team."

PARRAMATTA'S FINALS FAILURES

1998 Lost 32-20 to Canterbury in extra time in grand-final qualifier after leading 18-2 with 11 minutes of normal time left.

1999 Lost to Melbourne 18-16 in preliminary final after leading 16-6 at half-time.

2001 Lost 30-24 to Newcastle in grand final after starting slowly and trailing 24-0 at half-time.

2005 Lost 29-0 as hot favourites against North Queensland in preliminary final.

http://smh.com.au/news/league/eels-keen-to-discuss-smiths-future/2005/09/26/1127586800090.html

This should cheer many of the doomsayers up.......

fish eel

Immortal
whether he is staying or going after 2006, the most sensible thing written there is:

We would like to make a decision in regard to the ongoing situation sooner rather than later, and I would like to think that would be in place prior to the start of next season.

Stagger eel

Staff member
it's a great move for the club whether or not your a supporter or a detractor of Smithy.

So who could be the next coach ??? Jason Taylor. He has gone on the same path as Ricky did, Maybe as well have Smith in a Gould like position as coaching director.

fish eel

Immortal
Can somebody tell me if this man is sighted anywhere neare Parramatta Leagues club?

souness0824_dr.jpg

Suitman

Post Whore
MarkInTheStands said:
So who could be the next coach ??? Jason Taylor. He has gone on the same path as Ricky did, Maybe as well have Smith in a Gould like position as coaching director.

I honestly believe we need someone from outside the Club.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
Ten years is a hell of a long time. I think next year we will see two of the longest serving coaches of the modern era step down in Smith and Bennett. As Mario said
it's a great move for the club whether or not your a supporter or a detractor of Smithy.

Personally, and as much as I like JT, I'd like to see a broom put through the club at the top if Smithy does go. I would like us to look at Shane Flanagan, Kevvie Walters or even David Furner.....

Suitman

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
Personally, and as much as I like JT, I'd like to see a broom put through the club at the top if Smithy does go. I would like us to look at Shane Flanagan, Kevvie Walters or even David Furner.....

Agreed. We need to move on from the Smith era and that can't be done by appointing the likes of Taylor or Sharpe. As nice as they are, they have been indoctrinated by Smith himself. Its not a bad thing, but we need greater change than that.

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:
but we need greater change than that.

Suity

Do we really?

This time last year, I would have agreed.

But Smithy has put in terrific structure at the club....under him we also have a great quality of person playing for us.

It would be a mistake to make wholesale change for changes sake, and I think somebody like Taylor, given the opportunity could be some fresh ideas and would be his own man.

The Colonel

Immortal
Putting JT in doesn't really change the culture. In the nineties we went for similar cultures in Hilditch and Cronin and we got zip, nada, nothing. When Brian came in it was the start of a new era, and while we haven't won a premiership few can argue that it hasn't been a lot better than before he arrived.

If JT is going to be successful as a coach he is better off doing that away from Parramatta.

The Colonel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
Hasn't Flanagan served under Smith as well ?

He has also served under John Cartwright, Phil Gould and Ricky Stuart since he left the club. That is his biggest advantage having seen other ideas and rather than limited to one......

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
how much does the clubs culture need to change?

Not much. But anyone who watches the clubs lower grades can see a similar vein of not performing when it really counts exists there as well......