What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels keen to discuss Smith's future

Kornstar

Coach
If Taylor wins the P/L title this year then i see that as a positive, he he fails at the final hurdle then we may very well see someone from outside the club

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:
Not much. But anyone who watches the clubs lower grades can see a similar vein of not performing when it really counts exists there as well......

isnt that jumping the gun a bit before this weekends games?

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
isnt that jumping the gun a bit before this weekends games?

I hope I am proven wrong. But if you have a look through the previous years we have had lower grade squads who have set the world on fire throughout the season and then leave the finals with nothing more than a whimper.

Suitman

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
He has also served under John Cartwright, Phil Gould and Ricky Stuart since he left the club. That is his biggest advantage having seen other ideas and rather than limited to one......

That is exactly right.
Some could argue that Taylor has played under many different coaches and learnt from that, but coaching is a much different game to playing.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
You could say the same for Jason Taylor.

He has served under different coaches at the Bears ?

He has played under different coaches. He hasn't been a coach under anyone else outside of Brian at this stage.

Stuart was at the Dogs and then came into the Roosters.

Hagan has had his time at other clubs as well.

John Cartwright was successful at Penrith before going to the Roosters.

Bennett had time at Canberra under/beside Don Furner.

Stagger eel

Staff member
a few years ago Canberra and Mal Meninga made a decision before the start of the season to part ways, so what they did was appoint Mathew Elliot to assist Mal in his last season and oversee the operations at the club, we need to adopt a similar structure...Have JT or whoever?? work very close to Brian from the start of the season and then have them take over the reigns next season, that person can also start working with Zapp, Mitchell and Fitzy from April to make all important retention and recruitment decisions and start working to build up for 07, while Brian does his darndest to break his duck for 06.

just a thought.

The Colonel

Immortal
eelavation said:
a few years ago Canberra and Mal Meninga made a decision before the start of the season to part ways, so what they did was appoint Mathew Elliot to assist Mal in his last season and oversee the operations at the club, we need to adopt a similar structure...Have JT or whoever?? work very close to Brian from the start of the season and then have them take over the reigns next season, that person can also start working with Zapp, Mitchell and Fitzy from April to make all important retention and recruitment decisions and start working to build up for 07, while Brian does his darndest to break his duck for 06.

just a thought.

That sounds very much like what may well happen. Given there are going to be a few faces coming off contract next year from a lot of clubs whoever takes over can do what they have to for 2007.

Hopefully though whichever way it goes it is more successful than the Elliott experiment at Canberra.

The Colonel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
Also Furner has served under Elliot so isn't it more Smith based coaching.

He has spent a year under Elliott and yes it would be more Smith based however he has also spent a lot of time as the son of a fairly well respected coach by the name of Don. He may not necessarily be the right choice but than again he might not be the wrong one either.

parra pete

Referee
David Furner has the potential to be a great coach. No doubt he will take over from Matt Elliott at the Raiders.
I am a Brian Smith fan...I think he has been OUTSTANDING in his contribution to the Club. The loss on Sunday CAN'T and SHOULD NOT be put down to his COACHING

Stagger eel

Staff member
MarkInTheStands said:
So what are the coaches doing next year?
Anyone else we can throw into the mix.

Look i can deal with throwing JT the gig for a couple of seasons however if your want a combo completely out of left field how about a Pay/Dymock combonation?

Eela, I like it.

If the eels had half the aggression of the Rosters Premier league there would be some very sore cowboys yesterday Morning. Sure Fui would be habitually out for months on end but still.

Stagger eel

Staff member
MarkInTheStands said:
Eela, I like it.

If the eels had half the agression of the Rosters Premier league their would be some very sore cowboys yesterday Morning. Sure Fui would be habitually out of months on end but still.

The Roosters have had a recent history in hiring young coachs who players want to play with and look up to, I was speaking to an ex Rooster Flegg player this year and he told me that as soon as he found who was coaching them he wanted to drop everything and go back to the club. The problem with Deano is talking him into a job where he needs to move back to the big smoke and that's where the problem may lie.

The Colonel

Immortal
parra pete said:
David Furner has the potential to be a great coach. No doubt he will take over from Matt Elliott at the Raiders.
I am a Brian Smith fan...I think he has been OUTSTANDING in his contribution to the Club. The loss on Sunday CAN'T and SHOULD NOT be put down to his COACHING

His contribution has been fantastic Pete but from the above article it would suggest that next season will be likely his last. He still has my support and while he is here he always will but I think the club is due for a change.....

walker smith

Juniors
eelavation said:
The Roosters have had a recent history in hiring young coachs who players want to play with and look up to, I was speaking to an ex Rooster Flegg player this year and he told me that as soon as he found who was coaching them he wanted to drop everything and go back to the club. The problem with Deano is talking him into a job where he needs to move back to the big smoke and that's where the problem may lie.

absolutely love the pay/dymock idea

I thinks its disappointing that this is the reaction from people who only last week were talking up the world.

Stop throwing your toys, kids - you were happy when we were winning, then we lose a game, and the world comes tumbling down.

It was not parra's destiny this year.

The majority of people on this forum agreed it was a rebuilding year.

How many people are being influenced by what geniuss that support other clubs are saying?

BS is on his last chance as far as I am concerned. Having said that, I will continue to SUPPORT him and give him the opportunity to fulfil his dream and our dream.

If we were all to get behind our team and show solidarity, maybe he and the boys wouldnt feel the pressure so much and perform to the standard we know they are capable.

Win, lose or draw - they will always have my support, because I am an EEL through and through.

The Colonel

Immortal
NorthShoreEel said:
I thinks its disappointing that this is the reaction from people who only last week were talking up the world.

Stop throwing your toys, kids - you were happy when we were winning, then we lose a game, and the world comes tumbling down.

It was not parra's destiny this year.

The majority of people on this forum agreed it was a rebuilding year.

How many people are being influenced by what geniuss that support other clubs are saying?

BS is on his last chance as far as I am concerned. Having said that, I will continue to SUPPORT him and give him the opportunity to fulfil his dream and our dream.

If we were all to get behind our team and show solidarity, maybe he and the boys wouldnt feel the pressure so much and perform to the standard we know they are capable.

Win, lose or draw - they will always have my support, because I am an EEL through and through.

Mate have a read of the article at the start. I've got a two year old who throws toys - if you want to start tarring people with the same brush get to know them first.....

Parra Guru

Coach
The Colonel said:
Eels keen to discuss Smith's future

By Greg Prichard
September 27, 2005

Next year is shaping up to be Brian Smith's last as Parramatta coach - regardless of whether he finally realises his dream of winning a premiership with the Eels.

Smith is contracted until the end of next year and Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald yesterday said the club would honour that deal.

But at the same time, Fitzgerald revealed the club planned to make a decision on Smith's future beyond 2006 before the start of next season.

"There have been no discussions at this stage, but we will be speaking to Brian about the situation at the end of this year," Fitzgerald said.

"We would like to make a decision in regard to the ongoing situation sooner rather than later, and I would like to think that would be in place prior to the start of next season.

"It's important to know which direction you are heading in by then rather than wait until halfway through the year, when you might be trying to attract players or whatever, so that there is no uncertainty."

Fitzgerald refused to give any indication on whether an early decision meant it was more likely Smith would finish up next year.
But the plan for a decision to be made before the Eels get the chance to play another game in anger can hardly be viewed as a good sign for his longevity after the bitterly disappointing way in which the team finished the season on Sunday.

Parramatta started as hot favourites in the second preliminary final against North Queensland at Telstra Stadium, but were thrashed 29-0.

The Herald understands there are no plans at board level at the Eels to offer Smith an extension on his current deal.

Next year will be Smith's 10th as Parramatta coach and his contract is understood to be worth $400,000 annually, making him one of the highest-paid coaches in the NRL.

There is no doubt about Smith's technical ability as a coach, but his critics point to Parramatta's stunning failures in several big end-of-season games over the years.

PARRAMATTA'S FINALS FAILURES

1998 Lost 32-20 to Canterbury in extra time in grand-final qualifier after leading 18-2 with 11 minutes of normal time left.

1999 Lost to Melbourne 18-16 in preliminary final after leading 16-6 at half-time.

2001 Lost 30-24 to Newcastle in grand final after starting slowly and trailing 24-0 at half-time.

2005 Lost 29-0 as hot favourites against North Queensland in preliminary final.

Halle f***ing lujah.... but it remains to be seen. Who knows what will happen!

I wouldn't begrudge him a premiership if we did happen to win next year, because I do feel sorry for him in a way, but I still think he should bow out after 2006 regardless.