What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels keen to discuss Smith's future

Stagger eel

Staff member
walker smith said:
absolutely love the pay/dymock idea

young fresh ideas!!

I would be most interested in hoe the Warriors react to the Cleary/Campion team, given that Stacey won't be there next season.

Nickeel

Juniors
What some people are failing to realise is that this isn't a personal slight on Brian or his ability.

There is no-one here that can argue the club is in better shape now than the years pre-Smith.

There is no-one here that can argue this season was a fantastic improvement over the previous two and, despite the ignominious finish, was one to remember.

I have been a Brian Smith fan for his entire tenure at Parramatta. There were moments of frustration re: tactics along the way, but he is an extremely likeable man with a keen intellect who I believe is an excellent coach and developer of players...

...But change is good.

Even if we had of won the premiership this year (and even if, God willing, we win it next year), after 10 years at the helm it would always be time for both parties (club and coach) to re-evaluate the relationship. One only has to look at the situation in Brisbane now, where Wayne Bennett (great coach that he was/is) is out of step with the way the game is being played and, similarly to Brian, is able to get a team flying high during the year but can't seem to complete the job at the business end (obviously Bennett's premiership-winning record is somewhat better than Brian's, but I feel the comparison is apt).

Enthusiasm, fresh ideas and a culture shift in a positive new direction are meritorious at football clubs, in boardrooms, in the art world or in government. Whether a new coach is introduced beyond next year, or JT is brought up alongside Smith in a tandem role, it is important that a smooth transition is made, which builds on the great leaps forward Smith has made for this club. I really want to see him get his trophy, for our sake and his, but regardless of what happens this time next year, this evaluation is coming at the right time.

Nick

The Colonel said:
Mate have a read of the article at the start. I've got a two year old who throws toys - if you want to start tarring people with the same brush get to know them first.....

Having supported the teamfor over 30 years, I know them....

Very similiar to the ones that were around in the late 70's.

I wasnt referring to the article. Just the ongoing dummy spitting. Some people just dont seem to be happy - mate, you need to learn to take the good with the bad and there can only be one winner ultimately at the end of the year. It is not the end of the world, like some people continue to believe.

My six year old went to school yesterday, copped it from his friends, but, as he said, they had dropped it by lunchtime.

Kids are great at getting over things, unlike some adults.:)

T-Bone

Juniors
people will probably shoot me down for this but I would love to see Gould at the club. He seems to be successful whereever he goes. He apparently is also available after a falling out with Stuart.

However he is probably on massive money with Nine and the Herald and would not want to coach full time at the moment.

Get him and also drag Flanagan across as a package deal. Gould as coaching director and Flanagan as head coach

Avenger

Immortal
T-Bone said:
people will probably shoot me down for this but I would love to see Gould at the club. He seems to be successful whereever he goes. He apparently is also available after a falling out with Stuart.

However he is probably on massive money with Nine and the Herald and would not want to coach full time at the moment.

Get him and also drag Flanagan across as a package deal. Gould as coaching director and Flanagan as head coach

That is what I would do.

forward pass

Coach
Doesn't Daniel Anderson still have links with the club?

I am sure he would chuck in his ESL job to coach Parra. He must be in the running.

The Colonel

Immortal
NorthShoreEel said:
I wasnt referring to the article. Just the ongoing dummy spitting.

Had you looked in another thread you might be right. No real dummy spitting in here. It looks like the club are looking at other options, ones which we should know about before the start of next season. Even the most ardent Smith supporters would agree, even with a rebuilding phase, after ten years something new is needed.....

Suitman

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
Even the most ardent Smith supporters would agree, even with a rebuilding phase, after ten years something new is needed.....

You would think so..............

Suity

Avenger

Immortal
Do not think for one moment that Gould will not be approached. He will. He is close to Smith and Smith's opinion will be taken on board.

MRJUCY

Juniors
I believe 10 years is too long for any coach. It doesn't matter if they're th best coach in the world (Jack Gibson) eventually they've given all they know & tried all there ideas. A team eventually needs fresh ideas & a different perspective to move forward. Switching every year or mid season doesn't work as it can take awhile to get the mix right but eventually enough is enough time to move on.

The Colonel

Immortal
Avenger said:
Do not think for one moment that Gould will not be approached. He will. He is close to Smith and Smith's opinion will be taken on board.

I don't doubt that at all. Main reason I'd lean towards Shane Flanagan as well - Gould is a big fan of his.

Avenger

Immortal
Colonel,

Did Flanagan leave us on good terms? What is his rapport like with the players?

The Colonel

Immortal
Avenger said:
Colonel,

Did Flanagan leave us on good terms? What is his rapport like with the players?

As far as I am aware he did. He was supposed to have been going to the Bunnies and was touted as being there to succeed Langmack but that went pear shaped and the Roosters nabbed him.

His rapport with the players was very good. Many of them played there now played under him as they came through the grades...

Eelectrica

Referee
Just want to say that I agree that it is time for change and to run with a coach from outside the organisation. Wipe the slate clean so to speak.

Good luck Smithy on your last year as head coach of the Eels, hopefully you end up with your own fairy tail finish. You've deserved it.

i don't want Brian Smith to leave our club, I want him to stay Involved with running of the juniors and operations. When it comes to that Stuff he knows what he is doing. We have the best Junior set up/ scouting of any club.

As for the new coach Only one name comes to Mind DEAN PAY!!!!!!!!! Give him what he wants.

PJ Marshal

Coach
fish eel said:
Can somebody tell me if this man is sighted anywhere neare Parramatta Leagues club?

souness0824_dr.jpg

ffs we wont have any chance at getting craig bellamy, but we may get michael owen

Suitman

Post Whore
Well Michael Owen scored more points than Parra on the weekend so he might be a good buy.

Suity

Eelectrica

Referee
I just hope than when the new coach is selected the interview process is thorough.
We need give the people in the organisation a chance at an interview, but we must also look outside to give any credibilty to the process.

Latest posts