What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels keen to discuss Smith's future

shiftysmith

Juniors
Kornstar said:
I wonder if Cayless has thought about offloading the captaincy to concentrate on his own game? I know he loves it but i just wonder how much better he could be if he didn't have that on his shoulders too, he took it over at a fairly young age.....

Not to say that i want him out of the captaincy, i just am saying it as more of a personal thing for Caylo, i am sure it has crossed his mind.
i disagree i think he is agood captain,and if it were to go to anyone else it would go to hindy,and then if his form dropped a little we would be here saying he can not cope with the captaincy

Kornstar

Coach
I never said he wasn't a good captain, i was just putting a thought out there.

The only thing i would like to see him do is maybe rip into the boys some times after a try is scored against us, on Sunday after the Jensen and Firman tries would have been a good place, that was terrible defence, although he may not have been on the field i guess

shiftysmith

Juniors
i dont know how but this afternoon i watched last sundays game,and boy it hurt.watching the game i realised that brian smith is not to be blamed at all.i am sure he gave the boys a game plan but we did not get to see that quite simply because we never held onto the ball.so to everyone who wants to bag him think again,there was a game plan there and the players simply did not even give themselves a chance to implement it.........

Stagger eel

Staff member
shiftysmith said:
i dont know how but this afternoon i watched last sundays game,and boy it hurt.watching the game i realised that brian smith is not to be blamed at all.i am sure he gave the boys a game plan but we did not get to see that quite simply because we never held onto the ball.so to everyone who wants to bag him think again,there was a game plan there and the players simply did not even give themselves a chance to implement it.........

well his gameplan was definetly not to go out there and spill the pill for the whole game.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It is true that the attacking gameplan can't be blamed on Brian, due to the butter-fingers of the team on Sunday.

But what about our usually rock-solid defence?

Our defence was awful - letting in 5 piss soft tries and a field goal.

Surely one of the coaching staff should be told off?

Yes, it's the players' faults - 90% players, but the other 10% is a coaching issue.

parra pete

Referee
Makaby Diva flopped in a major overseas race. Did she choke or just have an off day?
Was it her trainers fault, or was she due for a bad one at the time?
Should the owners sack Lee Freedman? Was her preparation not up too it? Was he overconfident?
Interesting! Would love to know the answers. Ob la de Ob la da.

Eelectrica

Referee
Eelementary said:
It is true that the attacking gameplan can't be blamed on Brian, due to the butter-fingers of the team on Sunday.

But what about our usually rock-solid defence?

Our defence was awful - letting in 5 piss soft tries and a field goal.

Surely one of the coaching staff should be told off?

Yes, it's the players' faults - 90% players, but the other 10% is a coaching issue.
Yes you're absolutely right. I'm sure Sharpie pulled Wags aside before the game and said, "When Bowen has the ball near our line, sprint out and leave a big gap you could drive a truck through. He'll be so surprised at it he won't know what to do."

Eelementary

Post Whore
I know you're being sarcastic, but I think my comment is a fair one.

Wagon is an experienced player. Combine that with the fact that Sharpie and Smithy probably warned the boys to be at their best defensively and NOT leave gaping holes for the likes of Bowen and Williams to run through, and you've got....A 29-nil scoreline?

Nah, I don't buy it.

parra pete

Referee
Eelectrica said:
Yes you're absolutely right. I'm sure Sharpie pulled Wags aside before the game and said, "When Bowen has the ball near our line, sprint out and leave a big gap you could drive a truck through. He'll be so surprised at it he won't know what to do."

:lol: :lol: Can't believe where the blame is going. These blokes are professional footballers. Surely by now they know what to do and what not to do. Their own pride should get them through. Facts are facts. THEY HAD AN OFF DAY.
More likely to do with the week off. Sh*t happens, as Forest Gump said. As for blaming the coaching staff that is just a cop out..and gives bastards like Hadley Roach and Fulton satisfaction to sling more dung at the Eels Club.
We have to move on. It could be worse, we could live in Baghdad or New Orleans. Smell the roses, get on with life. Next month it'll mean SFA.
We will be in preparation for 2006 season.
If the Eels weren't the best side in 2005 I'm Murray Farquhar (i.e a bad judge)

Eelectrica

Referee
They tried too hard to make things happen. They were pressing. They all wanted to go out and make a play to fire the team up and turn things around. Just didn't come off.

pk76

Juniors
The Colonel said:
bullsh*t...... :lol:

Actually that is a good point. No matter how many Preliminary Finals and GFs we have lost under Smithy, it doesn't get any darker than what was going on back then.......

Yes...

I remember I was one of only 7 boys in my year who supported Eels, DESPITE the fact that my former high school is in the Parramatta district. There were more F%$#wits supporting Bulldogs and Manly!!!

(Remembering Penna, Danny Crankvich (?), that big, bald winger and other backs who had talents but never the oportunity to shine during the dark age)

pk76

Juniors
Eelectrica said:

Hahaha.

I am also informed that the coaching staff instructed players before the game to
not worry too much about the completion rate because Cowboys would be so surprised that they won't know what to do.

Kornstar

Coach
pk76 said:
Hahaha.

I am also informed that the coaching staff instructed players before the game to
not worry too much about the completion rate because Cowboys would be so surprised that they won't know what to do.

If that is the case then i think we need to get coaching staff who know how to fire a team up, let them know the drill!! Completions win games, we did not try and put pressure on the Cowboys, for the first 30 mins i kept screaming "pressure". People around me looked at me like i was an idiot, now that may be true but that is a big reason we lost the game, our unwillingness to build pressure, trying to score off every play just did not work!!

yy_cheng

Coach
I just rewatched it too and the enthusiasm was there. We were not that flat.

Alot of the problem were due to poor handling from pressure passes. Benny lost alot of ball. But alot of those passes were thrown to him when 2 or more defenders were nearly in his face. There was also alot of poor ref decisions. Benny had the ball clearly raked from him with 3 defenders. Then Wade lost the ball from a strip by a defender and it was called a knock on against parra.

If we just executed 1 try, I think things would've been alot different with points on the board.

Eelectrica

Referee
I haven't been able to re-watch it, but the two plays that are continually being replayed in my mind are the Grothe near miss and the Burt miss with the interception. We'll never know how different things could have been had either come off.

Zippy Eel

Juniors
I think post 2006 we need a new coach. But i wouldn't mind seeing Smithy in the Junior Structure because IMO he is one of, if not the best, at bringing through the young blokes.

number8

Juniors
pk76 said:
Yes...

I remember I was one of only 7 boys in my year who supported Eels, DESPITE the fact that my former high school is in the Parramatta district. There were more F%$#wits supporting Bulldogs and Manly!!!

(Remembering Penna, Danny Crankvich (?), that big, bald winger and other backs who had talents but never the oportunity to shine during the dark age)

Danny Crankvich (Crnkovich), that big, bald winger (Micheal Erickson). They were awsome in some periods for the Eels. I remember them giving a touring Lions outfit a lesson within a few weeks (I think) of working the Broncos over.

Some great moments in those dark days. I'd say they took their opportuninties & did shine. As breifly as it may have been I reckon we all got a good look at what they were capable of & they had their success in that regard.

It's just as important to remember these guys as it is the Cronins & Prices. There is a lot more players that will not win a comp for our club, than there are that will. Its good to see their names mentioned again.

Bulldogs & Manly supporters for the most part are f%$#wits. I'm glad there weren't too many at my school.