What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels keen to discuss Smith's future

The Colonel

Immortal
Avenger said:
How old is Flanagan and what is his background? Did he ever play?

Shane Flanagan

AKA Flano

DOB 02/12/1965

Position Premier League Coach & Assistant Coach – NRL

Playing History 78 First Grade games, 3 for St George 1987, 42 for Wests 1989-1991, 33 for Parramatta 1992-1994.
Clubs Parramatta SG Ball 1997, 1999; Parramatta Jersey Flegg 1998; Parramatta First Division 2000-2002, Premier League 2003; NSW Under 19s 2001-2002, Junior Kangaroos 2002.

Premierships Sydney Roosters Jersey Flegg 2004 (undefeated)

Stagger eel

Staff member
Avenger said:
How old is Flanagan and what is his background? Did he ever play?

Shane's a St George junior who played most of his first grade career for the Magpies, he did play for us for 2 seasons and was mainly an understudy to peter MaPhail at hooker, in the early to mid 90's.

The Colonel

Immortal
eelavation said:
Shane's a St George junior who played most of his first grade career for the Magpies, he did play for us for 2 seasons and was mainly an understudy to peter MaPhail at hooker, in the early to mid 90's.

Well at one stage he had Peter McPhail playing at lock to accomodate him so he was going alright.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Colonel said:
Well at one stage he had Peter McPhail playing at lock to accomodate him so he was going alright.

yes! but at the time we weren't....it was a dark period at the club. ;-)

The Colonel

Immortal
eelavation said:
yes! but at the time we weren't....it was a dark period at the club. ;-)

bullsh*t...... :lol:

Actually that is a good point. No matter how many Preliminary Finals and GFs we have lost under Smithy, it doesn't get any darker than what was going on back then.......

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Colonel said:
bullsh*t...... :lol:

Actually that is a good point. No matter how many Preliminary Finals and GFs we have lost under Smithy, it doesn't get any darker than what was going on back then.......

oh! thank christ for Galbraith!!!..I would of been slashing my wrist if it wasn't for him. :roll:

Avenger

Immortal
Weidler had something on the Footy Show last night. Apparently Smith may move to a mentor role as early as next season and the new coach will start at the beginning of 2006.

Nickeel

Juniors
Avenger said:
Weidler had something on the Footy Show last night. Apparently Smith may move to a mentor role as early as next season and the new coach will start at the beginning of 2006.

Well it must be true, then...

Nick

Nickeel

Juniors
Avenger said:
a touch of sarcasm Nick ?

No!!! Of course not!!! ;-)

Yeah, the unfortunate thing about Weidler is that someone like me sees him say that and immediately exclaims "bullsh*t!", while the layperson such as my girlfriend says "They're going to fire Brian?"

The issue should be allowed to run its course without speculation (wishful thinking, I know). Besides, as I said to her, if Brian were to leave after next year (likely) it would be after 10 years of mostly success, and the implementation of a structure that has seen us more often than not involved in finals football. And this nuffy with the ridiculous hand gestures comes along with his 'hot goss'!!

Nick

strider

Post Whore
Avenger said:

Weilder talks crap - he's just another of the publish anything you hear, don't get the truth get in the way of a good story mob....he probably got his info from this forum :lol:

He had Graham Murray dead and burried in Nth Qld at the start of the year on the basis of a disgruntled player manager getting in his ear.

The Colonel

Immortal
Avenger said:
Assuming a new coach comes in 2006, I can see Cannings, Wagon and Burt being released.

Not before the start of the season, with all under contract. Burt and Cannings are off contract next season along with Ash Graham. I'd say at this stage only Burty might bet a look in on a renewal. Wagon may decide England is an option after next year.....

yy_cheng

Coach
With Delaney, Reddy, Williams all ready and waiting, I would think it will all depends on how much money he wants and how much Parra wants to offer him.

Wade could be in a similar boat.

When does Stringer's contract expire? We would probably go after a big young Prop with Stringer retiring after 1-2 years and possibly releasing Cannings.

yy_cheng

Coach
Furthermore, the advantage of a coach from the outside (if he or she was an established coach) would be that he would bring in his favourites if possible.

The Colonel

Immortal
Stringer signed for two years. Next year is likely to be his last, depending on his hios form and which direction the club wants to take.

Next year will be a big year as far as decisions on the playing roster go.

McKinnon, Dean Widders, Burt, Cannings, Morris, Graham and a few lower grade players are all off contract. Could be the last throw of the dice for a few players, not just the coach.

Avenger

Immortal
From the group that you mentioned I cannot see any of them staying beyond 2006. Delaney will be re-signed and perhaps Burt.

Colonel, who are the other lower graders off contract ? I think Cordoba, M. Perenara, H. Perenara are.

The Colonel

Immortal
Avenger said:
Colonel, who are the other lower graders off contract ? I think Cordoba, M. Perenara, H. Perenara are.

I'd guess there would be a few. Not really sure who because it isn't as widely known as firsts. The two games this weekend would probably set the ball in motion for a number of contracts being re-negotiated....

Latest posts