What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels move two games to Telstra Stadium

fish eel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
I think the December Newsletter will be quite interesting. If they offer a refund then I can't see why everyone wont be happy.

I also just don't think saying in a press release, something like. Current Season ticket holders unhappy with this change can have a partial refund. Would be a good showing from the club.

Still mate, poor form they way this was done.

In any case, I doubt they have a legal obligation to offer and grant refunds.

Tickets are classified legally as a 'service'. When you buy a ticket, you are effectively entering into a contract with the seller and agreeing to the terms and conditions attached to that ticket. I'm sure those t&c are pretty generic, and would not specify where the matches would be played.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think under fair trading laws it's actually illegal NOT to offer refunds if a customer so demands...

It'd be interesting to see if anyone can get their hands on a copy of the T&C's...

strider

Post Whore
Timmah said:
Sacrificing your identity? FFS the Dogs play one home game a year at Suncorp, Souths at Bluetongue and so on. Telstra is around the corner FFS.

I agree they should be flexible with STH and refunds given the info about Telstra became available after renewals were sent out, but at the same time the ground is the next closest NRL venue to Parramatta Stadium.
yeah but the dogs are sh*t - we don't wanna aspire to be like them :lol:

fish eel

Immortal
Timmah said:
Why not???

Because you do not have the right to simply demand a refund because you want one, thats why, as that is what you said:

I think under fair trading laws it's actually illegal NOT to offer refunds if a customer so demands..

Also, as I said earlier, a ticket is not classified as a good.

It is a service. You are not buying a good, but effectively entering into a contract for the provision of a service. Whether it be a rock concert or grand final tickets, in buying the tickets you effectively enter into a contract with the seller and agree to abide by the terms and conditions. You may have recourse if you believe the T&C are breached, in the same way the seller can cancel a ticket sold above face value because it would have been done in breach of the t&c.

Hellsy

Immortal
But when you have purchased something based on a letter from the club and then the club changes it there should be a right to a refund as you have not purchased what was advertised - it is misleading.
When concerts get moved you get offered to swap days or a refund, this should be the same thing

And again... why the hell should I contact the club????????????????? They are the ones who have changed things they should contact the fans. That is poor communication

Timmah

Staff member
Hellsy's right, there was assumed knowledge that the games were all at Parramatta Stadium, and since then two games have been shifted. There should be scope to cancel if necessary.

Suitman

Post Whore
Hellsy said:
But when you have purchased something based on a letter from the club and then the club changes it there should be a right to a refund as you have not purchased what was advertised - it is misleading.
When concerts get moved you get offered to swap days or a refund, this should be the same thing

And again... why the hell should I contact the club????????????????? They are the ones who have changed things they should contact the fans. That is poor communication

But Hellsy, you're still getting 12 "HOME" games, just that two of them aren't at home. ;-)

Suity

eelsta

Bench
I also agree with Hellsy........Doesn't bother me about going to telstra,BUT

don't sell me a season ticket to parra stadium then tell me i've now got to go to Telstra for 2 games, not good enough.....

Hellsy

Immortal
Precisely!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand why we are going... but dont sell me 2 tickets to Telstra without my consent and expect me to like it

The Colonel

Immortal
B-Tron 3000 said:
So get some business sense. PHaC and good old Rusty are doing away with Pokies completely!!

Provided the Leagues Club board are agreeable and they don't have a huge hole in their budget to fill.

The board's chairman, Bill Alexiou-Hucker, said that without seeing the proposal, he believed the club would go broke within 12 months without the $150,000 per month from its 60 pokies.

Mr Alexiou-Hucker today corrected earlier reports that the club had licences for 160 pokies

The leagues club is being rebuilt after going into administration and will reopen next year.
"I don't want to pre-empt anything that the board may decide, because (Crowe and Mr Holmes a Court) might come up with something that is going to blow our socks off," he said on Macquarie Radio.

"The board will make its decision on sound business and economical fundamentals. We are not about to look at this through rose-coloured glasses. We don't want our members to have to go through two administrations."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22444023-31037,00.html

The Colonel

Immortal
Hellsy said:
Has the club offered it?
They are the ones who decided to annouce this moving of games, they should make the fans aware of all that is on offer for them in conjunction with it.
It is THEIR responsibility

Why answer a question with a question? A simple no would have been suffice. If you haven't asked if a refund is possible then why jump up and down about them just because it isn't contained in the media release.

You bought the ticket. If you are unhappy with it ask for a refund. Simple process. The FT laws cover that at the very least.

Timmah

Staff member
Sure it would be Hellsy's role to familiarise herself with the T&Cs of the season ticket but the club would have an obligation to notify in written form the acknowledgement of changing of two games.

All she's saying is that all fans should have that option and in terms of basic logic she absolutely should. Whether or not the club will be doing that remains to be seen though... the announcement is barely 48hrs old.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
I think you're really comparing apples with oranges my learned friend. ;-)

Those games were moved to take the game to regions where Parramatta aren't seen very often. Also, wasnt the parkes game part of an nrl push to take games to the regions, and we were one of few clubs to do it?

The STH fiasco aside, I think the most concerning thing about this is for some people, that Telstra is just down the road, and this may well be the beginning of a slow relocation to Telstra, or at least more games being played there should it prove to be successful from a financial perspective.

Out of curiosity, how many games did we sell out last year? Honestly, I think considering how many people roll up each week on average, Parra stadium is almost the perfect size for us. There is nothing wrong with having a ground that gets full 2 or 3 times a year for a 'marquee' game. It creates a buzz, it makes tickets to see Parramatta worth something and sought after, and if a family misses out on a 'marquee' match because it's sold out, they may well choose to make their one game a year another one.

I've been saying all along, this is not about getting bums on seats but getting a financial windfall which the club desperately needs thanks to a state government who have been picking the eyes and continue to pick the eyes out of the club who ultimitely funds us.

2 games at a state of the art venue located 4K's east of Parramatta stadium where STH holders get the chance of experiancing facilities that are far superior than Parra and also getting the chance of having an after match function right at the venue.

I have no problem with anyone asking for a refund for these 2 games and to me that's a different arguement.

Glenn

First Grade
Isn't one of the conditions of a ST, that the club reserves the right to alter the venues?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Glenn said:
Isn't one of the conditions of a ST, that the club reserves the right to alter the venues?

not sure..does that line appear in your terms and conditions???

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
I've been saying all along, this is not about getting bums on seats

If you read the clubs media release, thats what it is about.;-)

but getting a financial windfall which the club desperately needs thanks to a state government who have been picking the eyes and continue to pick the eyes out of the club who ultimitely funds us.

Oh you mean it's about getting a financial windfall because club management have been lazy and too slow to find alternate revenue streams, and sell ourselves short with sponsors ;-)

2 games at a state of the art venue located 4K's east of Parramatta stadium where STH holders get the chance of experiancing facilities that are far superior than Parra and also getting the chance of having an after match function right at the venue.

What facilities? Will the seats be in the members area, or reservered elsewhere in the stadium?

All I'm interested in, and I'm sure most sth, is the match, and the atmosphere - which is pretty safe to say wont be a patch on a full house at parra.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
fish eel said:
I think you're really comparing apples with oranges my learned friend. ;-)

Those games were moved to take the game to regions where Parramatta aren't seen very often. Also, wasnt the parkes game part of an nrl push to take games to the regions, and we were one of few clubs to do it?

The STH fiasco aside, I think the most concerning thing about this is for some people, that Telstra is just down the road, and this may well be the beginning of a slow relocation to Telstra, or at least more games being played there should it prove to be successful from a financial perspective.
Thank you for expressing so well what has been beyond me due to my annoyance!

Not to mention the fact that we have already agreed to five years of this. What's in store for us in 2009 - Manly and Dogs games at Telstra?

Hey, here's an idea - why don't we have ALL the Sydney derby games there, and totally defeat the point of a derby!!

Out of curiosity, how many games did we sell out last year? Honestly, I think considering how many people roll up each week on average, Parra stadium is almost the perfect size for us. There is nothing wrong with having a ground that gets full 2 or 3 times a year for a 'marquee' game. It creates a buzz, it makes tickets to see Parramatta worth something and sought after, and if a family misses out on a 'marquee' match because it's sold out, they may well choose to make their one game a year another one.
Exactly.

Talking to an English friend about the A-League, and he said they should have it in smaller grounds until it is more popular. That way, they sell out, good atmosphere, looks good on tv, people get interested. Then, when you keep selling out you move to a bigger ground. That's what they do in England, and that's what Melbourne Victory did. They didn't start at the Dome first, but now they're regularly getting 30+ and have hit 50 for normal league games v Sydney.

The games we have at Parra stadium next year are mainly sh*te, and will do nothing to encourage people to come. If someone goes to Parra stadium to watch the sh*te atmosphere of a Raiders game, will they come back? Maybe, but it's less likely than if they see a Dogs game, isn't it.

eelavation said:
I've been saying all along, this is not about getting bums on seats but getting a financial windfall which the club desperately needs thanks to a state government who have been picking the eyes and continue to pick the eyes out of the club who ultimitely funds us.
And I fail to understand why that hasn't been communicated to us. Is Denis worried that his image is purely that of a financial controller, and that if he loses that good fiscal image he will be seen simply as a terrible man manager who pisses off everyone else surrounding the club?

As i have said, the club is consistently failing us. We're run by geriatrics. Where's the new managerial blood? Ron Hilditch? f**k sake, from all accounts Ron's a good bloke but it's jobs for the boys. We knew the poxie tax was coming, what have we done?

Is it not true that the Wests Tigers were advertising in O'Connell St - the very street that our ground is on? What were we doing?
Is it not true that Wests conduct recruitment drives for their members?
Is it not true that Souths have sent out letter-box drops to people in their area, on the fringes of their area, and beyond (and by all accounts their brochure and options are far superior to ours)?
Is it not true that some clubs have now taken private investment (not that that's perfect either) in order to stave off financial troubles? I don't see the Sea Eagles leaving Brookvale.
Is it not true that the club won't partake in after game functions (a fantastic way for the fans to feel a valuable part of the club), yet the players seem to manage to hike down to the Rose every time. Is their two block walk the warm-down?

Where are crowds on a weekly basis? They're not there because they are not being enticed to come. I have lived pretty much all my life in Parramatta - over 30 years - and I have never receieved anything from the club that I didn't ask for or had already laid out fees for. NOT ONCE!! Not a flyer, nothing.

You ask why the hysteria Eela, it's because it has come to this. If I thought the club were doing an awesome job and hunting down every prospective fan and sponsor it could, then there'd be no hysteria. There'd just be a kind of quiet resignation that sport these days is kinda sad. But, whilst I am sad it has come to this, I'm f**king angry too. And I'm angry at the fact that hardly anyone else is angry. It's so ingrained in us now to accept these 'business' decisions that we don't even question why they have to be made. I'll tell you why:

THE CLUB HAS FAILED US!!

And this won't help. Ok, it might fix the monetary short-fall at current, but what is it doing for the future? What is the long-term plan? Do they have one? If so, what is it?

eels_fan_01

Bench
Get over it peeps. We play Dogs at Telstra in round 1, we used to play a Sydney team there for a double header anyways. So realistically were taking one home game to Telstra, its better than taking it to New Zealand when you cant even go.

Latest posts