What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Ryles

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.7%

• Total voters

Eelementary

Post Whore
So once you learn something, it means you never make a mistake again, or never have a moment you don’t heed that advice or let old habits slip in?

You are being awfully hard on Moses of late, which is funny given aside from Gutho he’s basically the lifeblood of this club. He may not have the consistency of Cleary or DCE, but largely anything good we do flows through him. No one is always up - and it would be nice if our $900k a season 5/8th stepped up when our half may slip out of the game a little.

Moses has mentioned more than once how his game has evolved.

And more than once, we have found ourselves in a match where we are in a very winnable position, and he has gone MIA.

This is nothing new - he's done it his entire career.

There's a reason he's known as a flat-track bully/downhill skier.

I, personally, would expect my million-dollar halfback to win you those matches where you dominate territory, and possession.

Moses just can't do that.

He's elite-level in terms of talent, but his mentality/aptitude/whatever you want to call it just isn't there.

I believe Moses has more skill than Cleary (not that Cleary doesn't have skill), but I'd take Cleary at halfback over Moses every damn day of the week, because I know that Cleary is a born winner, and will step up when the game is on the line.

We won't ever win a damn thing with Moses as our halfback, tbh.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
lol there are those Apple to Apple comparisons that Pou loves.
Well they're killing it this year. Are the Dolphins really such a shit club? I reckon they're closer to a premiership than plenty of clubs. They are f**king minted. It's why they were given a license ffs

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Axed South Sydney coach Jason Demetriou has taken the first steps towards a return to the NRL as a head coach after meeting Parramatta powerbrokers.

It is understood that Demetriou was one of a handful of potential candidates who interviewed for the Parramatta head coaching position, which was vacated when Brad Arthur was sacked last month.

Demetriou, Josh Hannay, Trent Barrett and Jason Ryles are among those who have spoken with the Eels about the job, as has former Wallaby coach Michael Cheika.

Parramatta are understood to have completed their first round of talks and will whittle down their list before speaking with their preferred targets at least one more time.

Demetriou has emerged as a contender despite keeping a relatively low profile since being dumped by South Sydney earlier this year. The former Rabbitohs coach led the club to the preliminary final in his first year in charge but missed the final in his second year and was then axed after they languished at the bottom of the ladder this season.

His name had not been linked with the job before but Demetriou – who has dipped his toe into the media landscape since stepping away from the spotlight –

had indicated his desire to return to the head coaching position and it is understood he was interviewed as part of the club’s search for a new mentor.

Current interim coach Barrett is campaigning hard to keep the job although it is understood that Ryles and Hannay remain the early favourites. Cheika is understood to have impressed in his conversations but there is a natural concern given he has never coached rugby league for any great period of time.

NSW coach Michael Maguire was another of the leading contenders but he withdrew from the process to focus on the State of Origin series.

Demetriou confirmed he had met the Eels and said he would relish the chance to reignite one of the game’s sleeping giants.

“It sort of woke me up from my slumber a bit, got me excited, got the adrenalin going again,” Demetriou said on Triple M NRL.

“I am a strong believer that I am a career coach and I will get an opportunity again, This experience has taught me some lessons that really prepped me for that next opportunity that comes.

“You go into head coaching thinking you know that you are ready. Sometimes it takes a bit of a smack in the face to realise this is what it is all about.

“For me it was about getting out there again, getting the blood going, getting the excitement to put my hat back in the ring. I am excited for the next challenge in my career.

“I am quite brutal in terms of how I reflect. I walked away feeling good about whatever the future holds.”

If Demetriou has his way, it will be at the Eels. Asked why the Parramatta job was so coveted in the coaching ranks, Demetriou said: “First and foremost they have a roster - a very good roster. As a coach you think about how you can impact that roster.

“I think Brad Arthur has left that roster in decent shape. It is a strong, vibrant club that is running well. Two years ago they were beaten in a grand final.

“There is a really strong roster there, an outstanding spine, some really big forwards as well. So I is a team I would love to coach if given the opportunity but there are some really great candidates out there who are putting their hand up.

“There is a reason why everyone is putting their hand up. It is an exciting job. It would be great to be part of a journey that reignites Parramatta.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/b81a2a008832ab5233521341a6d9d9cf
I can't shake the feeling he's an Eric Bana character.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If you took out Demetriou last half of 2023 and the start to this year he has a very impressive record.
I almost give him an out at Souths with trying to coach a Latrell and Cody that sometimes have a crack other times look like they don't care and he also had some injuries with Souths.
I would take him over Barrett, Holbrook anyway.
His first year at Souths was very good. I wonder if back ended contracts came home to roost after Bennett walked away.

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
Moses has mentioned more than once how his game has evolved.

And more than once, we have found ourselves in a match where we are in a very winnable position, and he has gone MIA.

This is nothing new - he's done it his entire career.

There's a reason he's known as a flat-track bully/downhill skier.

I, personally, would expect my million-dollar halfback to win you those matches where you dominate territory, and possession.

Moses just can't do that.

He's elite-level in terms of talent, but his mentality/aptitude/whatever you want to call it just isn't there.

I believe Moses has more skill than Cleary (not that Cleary doesn't have skill), but I'd take Cleary at halfback over Moses every damn day of the week, because I know that Cleary is a born winner, and will step up when the game is on the line.

We won't ever win a damn thing with Moses as our halfback, tbh.
I reckon you’re being a bit harsh on Moses mate. Agree he has and still fails to nail the big moments regularly and last week is the perfect example, but I do believe he is improving and it’s a part of his game he’s had to develop whereas the likes of Clearly seem to do it more naturally. And as good as Clearly has been he hasn’t done it in origin

I don’t agree with your last point, despite our current issues I do believe with Moses and the majority of this squad they are capable of winning us a comp. If they get the coach right and a few tweaks to the roster we could be back in genuine contention as early as next year

And despite his short comings the last few months have proven he’s our most important player

King-Gutho94

Coach
His first year at Souths was very good. I wonder if back ended contracts came home to roost after Bennett walked away.
Perhaps but I feel like there is a toxic element at Souths and JD either was unable to control it or had his hands tied.

Either way the roster he had last year should have made finals they were on top of the ladder after Round 12.

Demetriou was a driving force in Reynolds going and backing Ilias which has been a major balls up.

Noise

Coach
Perhaps but I feel like there is a toxic element at Souths and JD either was unable to control it or had his hands tied.

Either way the roster he had last year should have made finals they were on top of the ladder after Round 12.

Demetriou was a driving force in Reynolds going and backing Ilias which has been a major balls up.
Yea it’s doubtful backended contracts started having effects from round 13 last year. It was much more likely the senior players ruled the roost with shit / lazy attitudes. Just like at Parra.

Avenger

Immortal
But I do agree - Brown has been underperforming for some time now, too.
He’d be easily my most disappointing player of the season. The others like Paulo, Lane etc I don’t really rate in the first place but Brown I do. Brown has been very inconsistent and one dimensional. Him playing at 7 when Moses went down also didn’t help. He never should have been there. In the end BA paid for that mistake with his job.

Latest posts