What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johnny88

Juniors
Apparently all the Josh Hannay talk last week that he had the job and Ryles pulled out was misinformation from the Parramatta club to flush out a leaker according to Jimmy Smith.
Also all assistant coaches are not contracted for next season including Trent Barrett, so would be interesting to see who Ryles assistants will be.

Pazza

First Grade
Yeah i guess it depends how much Ryles wants to get out of these last 8 weeks with Barrett.

Clearly they were still friends 12 months ago.

Interesting watch

View attachment 90822

The hair, the beautiful smiles.... we're killing it off the field atm

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Bellamy said that it’s not hard to make the semis. The difference between making the semis and winning the comp is huge however
Easy for the Storm to make the finals. Once you’re there, winning the comp is a matter of probability. The Storm have made 6 grand finals in their last 16 trips to the finals (not including ‘07 and ‘09 because they can get f**ked), for 3 wins. Meanwhile we have made 4 grand finals in our last 16 finals trips, for one win. It’s not much worse. The main discrepancy is how often the two clubs make the finals. We need to go back to 1986 to gather data for 16 years of finals appearances. The Storm have done it since 2005, or 2007 if you include the stripped premiership years.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I found this part interesting, suggests there really was a disconnect between Arthur and the board:

“However, there has long been a belief within the Parramatta organisation that a disconnect between the football team and the club was holding them back.

Ryles’ homework, if as thorough as we are led to believe, would’ve discovered that well before Mitchell Moses’ post-game tirade after the Knights game a week ago highlighted it.

It’s a culture the Eels privately believe has been allowed to fester under the siege coaching mentality of Arthur, and a realignment of the club’s culture and standards was imperative in their search for his successor.”
This is far more likely than bullshit assessments like Arthur’s-doesn’t-understand-modern-tactics or chasing-collisions-wore-players-out. I think it’s pretty obvious the senior players are the problem, given the alarming drop in form for most of them, and the coach enabled that. They aren’t too old, they are unprofessional. Bennett has a bunch of forwards older than our lot, and they are still maintaining high standards.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I thought all coaches can’t afford to fail at their roles.
Ultimately, the definition of failure depends on expectations. How many years should we expect between premierships? Before our last coach we had waited 27 years. Now it’s 38. In that time we have made three grand finals, so if Ryles makes a grand final every twelve or thirteen years he’ll be on par with the past. Surely we’ll eventually win one. The opposition’s best player will fail a drug test on grand final morning or something.

hindy111

Post Whore
New Parramatta coach can’t afford to fail ? How stupid. All he can do is prepare the team, put together a decent roster and point them in the right direction.

Bellamy said that it’s not hard to make the semis. The difference between making the semis and winning the comp is huge however and you rely on no significant injuries, no off field disruptions and the other teams simply not being better at it than you.

Everyone knows that we are in drought, but you only need to look at our 01, 05, 09, 22 seasons to see it’s bloody hard to win a comp.

If merkins are going to apply a benchmark of success on Ryles to win a comp or it’s a fail, then they are only adding an extra mountain to climb, which is setting him up for a fail.

I'd expect 2025 to be rocky
2026 back in the top 8 contention (squad pending if cut some dead wood and cap sapce)
2027/2028 top 5 or pushing for it ijnuries pending.

King-Gutho94

Coach
One of the articles was saying Ryles was impressed on the fact Parra made it very clear he can have the staff, setup he wants. I’d say he already has them picked.
I wonder who though.

Its not like the storm & roosters will be letting assistants go he worked with.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
Easy for the Storm to make the finals. Once you’re there, winning the comp is a matter of probability. The Storm have made 6 grand finals in their last 16 trips to the finals (not including ‘07 and ‘09 because they can get f**ked), for 3 wins. Meanwhile we have made 4 grand finals in our last 16 finals trips, for one win. It’s not much worse. The main discrepancy is how often the two clubs make the finals. We need to go back to 1986 to gather data for 16 years of finals appearances. The Storm have done it since 2005, or 2007 if you include the stripped premiership years.
My brain hurts