What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters

eel01s

Bench
I want a coach who is technically proficient and can read the game, and can adapt to the inevitable changes that will come in the next few years. I like the talk around the likes of Hannay, although tbh I am wary of a first time Head Coach.

Zoso

Juniors
I want a coach who is technically proficient and can read the game, and can adapt to the inevitable changes that will come in the next few years. I like the talk around the likes of Hannay, although tbh I am wary of a first time Head Coach.
Can we have that plus a tough as nails merkin?

Lemon Squash

First Grade
It’s a million to one but Billy Slater should be the number one target, he would completely transform the club. He is that good.

If not I would prefer someone with experience but there honestly isn’t one really available that excites me… Madge, Hook, Holbrook all yuk.

A Pom or Cheika/Jones might have a bit of a placebo effect for a while but we want sustained success… and if it fails we will get smashed by the media.

I think it’s likely we end up with a first timer or someone with limited experience. If that’s the case I’d go Hannay 1, Ryles 2, Bomber Morris 3

JokerEel

Coach
Thinking about it I think Benny may have come on board.

What's the point of sacking BA now if we didn't have someone else lined up for next year. BA was the coach in 2025. If they waited till the end of the season the team may have improved enough for the club to have to keep him.

Benny also hasn't signed with South's even though they have been talking about it for a few weeks now...

What's the point of sacking BA now if we didn't have someone else lined up for next year.
Because like the vast majority on here, maybe the Board could also see the writing on the wall - and nothing other than a spoon coming our way, if they persisted with the status quo for the rest of the season?

Wally21

Bench

What's the point of sacking BA now if we didn't have someone else lined up for next year. BA was the coach in 2025. If they waited till the end of the season the team may have improved enough for the club to have to keep him.

Benny also hasn't signed with South's even though they have been talking about it for a few weeks now...
This seems the most likely scenario to me as well well Joker.
If we miss Bennett, I would like the club to throw the kitchen sink at Slater. Winning mindset, accountability, won’t take shit from the players.
If not Slater, Hannay or Ryles

emjaycee

Coach
I agree with everything you have said but my point is emphasised when you said “at the moment”. But… The club has made the decision to move on from that coach so it is somewhat irrelevant.

A new coach will change all that. Defensive structures will need to change. Attacking structures need to change.

I think choosing a coach that suits our current roster/playing style/mindset is a short term solution. We are not a club entering our window. We are quickly slipping out of it.
The roster needs to be turned on its head. It’s been a decade of the same thought process. It worked for a period of time. For whatever reason it’s not working now.

IMO we don’t need a short term fix to cover cracks. What we have simply isn’t good enough.

I’ve been here long enough and been lurking long enough to respect your opinions and your connections within the club. You know more than I do but I will respectfully disagree with you here.

its rebuild time. The coach needs to write his own script. Burn the grandstand down.

I need to learn how to quote again. Apologies. The was meant as a reply to @emjaycee
New coach will definitely turn the roster over given a chance, as they should.

My at "the moment" comment was more related to the fact that we need to fix our defensive mindset - it has been an issue for a number of years and in 2025 we will still have 15 of this years forwards on the books. Hopefully some of the younger brigade amongst them such as Doorey, Moretti and Mataele get a decent run at FG and are difference markers, but if not, the next coach needs to get the current defensive issues sorted.

With Drown, Moses, Talagi, Lomax, Penisini in the backline our attack should still be satisfactory.
We also have 4 or 5 spots available to fill and more if we manage to let go of some early.

yy_cheng

Coach

It is weird sacking brad now. We are bending over for Bennett. Make us coachless according to bennetts rule than trump souths some way.

Buzz said Bennett will sign with south's in the next 24 hrs.

If not, its on for Donkey kong

Bennett is in no rush. He'll want to draw this out as long as possible. He gets his rocks off this way

blue bags

First Grade
It’s a million to one but Billy Slater should be the number one target, he would completely transform the club. He is that good.

If not I would prefer someone with experience but there honestly isn’t one really available that excites me… Madge, Hook, Holbrook all yuk.

A Pom or Cheika/Jones might have a bit of a placebo effect for a while but we want sustained success… and if it fails we will get smashed by the media.

I think it’s likely we end up with a first timer or someone with limited experience. If that’s the case I’d go Hannay 1, Ryles 2, Bomber Morris 3
Eddie Jones

blue bags

First Grade
New coach will definitely turn the roster over given a chance, as they should.

My at "the moment" comment was more related to the fact that we need to fix our defensive mindset - it has been an issue for a number of years and in 2025 we will still have 15 of this years forwards on the books. Hopefully some of the younger brigade amongst them such as Doorey, Moretti and Mataele get a decent run at FG and are difference markers, but if not, the next coach needs to get the current defensive issues sorted.

With Drown, Moses, Talagi, Lomax, Penisini in the backline our attack should still be satisfactory.
We also have 4 or 5 spots available to fill and more if we manage to let go of some early.
Bill Belichick

eels81236

Bench
I agree @emjaycee. The new coach needs to work with what he has at hand for 12 months minimum due to timing and roster management.
This is not a quick fix appointment for a new coach. We need to show patience, remembering that the youngsters have grown up in OUR system. Hopefully they are adaptable enough to fit into someone else’s system quickly. We get 12 months to find out for most. If not then burn it down and start from scratch again.

edit: ffs I can’t quote. Gimme a break. I’m 50.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Especially one who has been a caretaker/interim coach twice and passed over twice. That's twice as many as Arthur when we made him head coach in 2014.

T-Boon

Coach
We really should have moved on last end of season. I think Bellamy resigned with storm over last couple of weeks.
I’d go after Bellamy, Bennett, slater, Cleary and the Auckland coach (Webster), or the dogs coach (bitch face).
We need a big dog. One of the big dogs.

Last edited:

DaveMc

Juniors
Especially one who has been a caretaker/interim coach twice and passed over twice. That's twice as many as Arthur when we made him head coach in 2014.
Imagine if it happened though? Probably be an example of the board having more info than all of us and being justified in backing their choice. A bit like they were over the last decade in persevering with BA. And also in f**king him off today.

By the way, BA’s not gonna suck your cock, bro, you don’t need to keep licking his taint. Get with the program, mate.