What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Ryles

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Cheika

Votes: 25 37.3%

• Total voters

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
The reality is, no matter who we sign as the next coach, they’re going to have questions marks about them.

To my way of thinking Holbrook is probably the safest bet of the ones mentioned. Tasted success at St Helens. Didn’t set the world alight at the Titans, but who does?

Ryles, Hannay, Cheika, Ennis… whoever else I’m missing… they’re going to be anything but a sure thing.

Zoso

Juniors
Personally I would like D.Pay. With a weak Bulldogs side he always had good defense.
Whoever we sign I want them to be defensively minded and add some grit to our defense.
You can attack with your defense by mentally breaking sides and bashing them out of the game. We have far to MA y soft players and soft attitudes.
Loved him as a player and on field leader.

Zoso

Juniors
There has been a shortlist since mid-2022.
It would make good business sense to do so. Here’s a non-sporting comparison (of sorts)…newspapers have obituaries pre-written for famous people well in advance of their death.
You know it’s gonna come one day, why not be prepared for the inevitable.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Spoke to a mate I know who has involvement in the Qld side. Hannay is extremely well thought of within that circle. We could do worse by the sounds of it.
Were a funny club when it comes to coaches though you either have to be a Parra man or a bigish name from elsewhere.

Hannay seems like neither. But maybe that has been the problem as well.

I am sure he could do a job and everyone would get behind him.

But if you look at all our appointments since Gibson in 1981 our coaches have either had Parra links or association with Parra before the top gig - Monie, Cronin, Hilditch, Anderson, Arthur.

Outside of Parra linked coaches
- Brian Smith was well known & credential when he arrived.
- Michael Hagan - premiership winner with Newcastle
- Stephen Kearney - Won a World Cup with NZ in 2008
- Ricky Stuart - Premiership winner & Australian/NSW Coach previously.

Were a funny club when it comes to coaches though you either have to be a Parra man or a bigish name from elsewhere.

Hannay seems like neither. But maybe that has been the problem as well.

I am sure he could do a job and everyone would get behind him.

But if you look at all our appointments since Gibson in 1981 our coaches have either had Parra links or association with Parra before the top gig - Monie, Cronin, Hilditch, Anderson, Arthur.

Outside of Parra linked coaches
- Brian Smith was well known & credential when he arrived.
- Michael Hagan - premiership winner with Newcastle
- Stephen Kearney - Won a World Cup with NZ in 2008
- Ricky Stuart - Premiership winner & Australian/NSW Coach previously.

FYI - John Monie was brought onto the Eels coaching staff by Jack Gibson. He originally started coaching at Woy Woy until Jack Gibson brought him aboard as his assistant and reserve grade coach. Monie played first grade fore the Cronulla Sharks from 1968-70.

King-Gutho94

Coach
FYI - John Monie was brought onto the Eels coaching staff by Jack Gibson. He originally started coaching at Woy Woy until Jack Gibson brought him aboard as his assistant and reserve grade coach. Monie played first grade fore the Cronulla Sharks from 1968-70.
I just included Monie being an assistant under Gibson as a Parra association/link before given the Top job when Gibson left.

Captain BF

Juniors
As much as I dislike the bloke, I reckon Parra should have thrown half the Leagues club's pokies and a boat at Craig Bellamy before he re-signed with the Storm.

Zoso

Juniors
And look at the team the poor bugger had to work with when he took over!

84 Baby

Referee
You mean if we sign a former player nobody even knew was now coaching we can keep our promising junior?!? It’s a deal!!!
We have multiple dealings with Moses so I very much doubt we’re naive to him.
If it were a Flanagan or even Payten we may have been more susceptible but Green would be no chance unless Moses gave us the pick of his stable at absolute bargain deals

Latest posts