What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Ryles

Votes: 21 25.6%
  • Morris

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Cheika

Votes: 33 40.2%

• Total voters

Gronk

Staff member
So you want a rookie coach like Ryles whose only ever coached a group 7 team for a few games- good luck with that.

Or do you want the current blues coach, who did extremely well with the nz national team, a premiership winner.
His tenure at the West Tigers with a imperfect roster was poor. He was there for 3+ years and actually took them backwards.

IMG_1688.jpeg

jason taylor

Bench
Look at how Fitzgibbon has gone at the Sharks over the past three years. I think there’s something to say about recruiting a well experienced assistant coach who has done his time in well-run, successful setups.

Maguire would have been the perfect coach for our 2022 squad - I think now we need to accept the fact that we’re going to have to rebuild our squad. We may as well roll the dice on an untried albeit well credentialed rookie coach.

King-Gutho94

Coach
So you want a rookie coach like Ryles whose only ever coached a group 7 team for a few games- good luck with that.

Or do you want the current blues coach, who did extremely well with the nz national team, a premiership winner.
Where did i say Ryles.

I am surprised Ryles is being talked up as this new supercoach as a player he was as dumb as dogshit. How many times did he do something stupid for St George that got him sin-binned or suspended for stupidity.

Not sure where he has all of sudden got this footy IQ from because he never showed any as a player.

I just dont think Madge is the right fit for us now. He is similar to BA in the old-school effort & intensity type coach i feel like we just need something a bit different & different style of a coach to freshen up the squad.

One concern i do have is he has lost the dressing room at both of his previous clubs pretty quickly. I think that gives me a few alarm bells right there.

Gronk

Staff member
Look at how Fitzgibbon has gone at the Sharks over the past three years. I think there’s something to say about recruiting a well experienced assistant coach who has done his time in well-run, successful setups.
Yeah but there more Belly or Robbo assistants who were expected to do well and didn’t.

jason taylor

Bench
Yeah but there more Belly or Robbo assistants who were expected to do well and didn’t.
True, but like Fitzgibbon, there are exceptions that prove the rule. Ryles might be another one of them. I think him knocking back the Dragons last year bodes well for his character - shows that he’s not desperate for a head coaching role, but will wait for the right circumstances/setting that will ensure success.

Though given how our management allegedly curtailed BA’s ability to recruit, it remains to be seen whether someone like Ryles would accept such an arrangement if they’re not willing to budge on it.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Ryles never coached in group 7.......

He took over Wests in the Illawarra comp for a few years, which while obviously not NRL standard, is a pretty good starting base to get some experience, the quality of footy is pretty good! It would be a bigger job then coaching a Flegg side (as good as NSW cup/English second division).

He did some junior reps with NSW / Australia.

Did 4 years at the Storm, a year at the Roosters now back at the Storm.

So his experience is as good as it gets, for someone not yet at an NRL coach:

- ran a side on his own
- experience with 2, top level clubs
- experience with juniors
- plus has been coached by a variety of coaches, including Smith, Bellamy, Walters, Waite

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Yeah but they're more Belly or Robbo assistants who were expected to do well and didn’t.
Is that actually correct about Bellamy? BA, Macguire, Walters have who been decent. Kearney failed, but what other have had a crack and didn't work out?

TheRam

Coach
Where did i say Ryles.

I am surprised Ryles is being talked up as this new supercoach as a player he was as dumb as dogshit. How many times did he do something stupid for St George that got him sin-binned or suspended for stupidity.

Not sure where he has all of sudden got this footy IQ from because he never showed any as a player.

I just dont think Madge is the right fit for us now. He is similar to BA in the old-school effort & intensity type coach i feel like we just need something a bit different & different style of a coach to freshen up the squad.

One concern i do have is he has lost the dressing room at both of his previous clubs pretty quickly. I think that gives me a few alarm bells right there.

You could say that about Blocker Roach but look at him now in his highly respected footy analyst presenter job...Oh wait...

Latest posts