What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Ryles

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.7%

• Total voters

Gronk

Staff member
I felt similar and voted for him in the poll.

However a number of clubs have overlooked him, bit of a red flag maybe?

I know f**k all about Hannay and Ryles - will support whoever management decides on.
I agree. All are good candidates.

I can see however that some have decided already that appointing X or Y will be a horror show. This forum never fails to deliver on controversy.

chiefy1

Bench
Has Jason Ryles ever been a head coach of any football team?

All I know about Ryles is that he was the defensive coach at the Roosters in 2022 .

Hannay? If pau pau was so smart, tell us is he in charge of attack or defence, and where are the stats to support him

The only reason people are choosing Hannay is because they think he's going to pull a few qldr's to parra.

Last edited:

Legal Eel

Juniors
I agree. All are good candidates.

I can see however that some have decided already that appointing X or Y will be a horror show. This forum never fails to deliver on controversy.
I have to admit that my choice was Cheika.

However, I agree that no one can definitively say either Ryles or Hannay is the wrong choice because how could you know??

To be honest, I feel Demetriou has too much recent baggage and I feel Trent has never shown an ability to impart his obvious football nous to the teams he has had.

For these reasons, I think either Ryles or Hannay are decent choices...although I have a slight preference for Hannay just because of the Queensland of it all.

But we need to pull the trigger soon to start planning for next year.

Legal Eel

Juniors
Why is Cheika still 39 % if he's out. About time you change to who's up next.
Is he out for sure or because the DT says so?

Is the poll a preferential voting system? Were we supposed to indicate a second preference for the votes to go elsewhere?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I coached an U19's cricket team, i should throw my hat into the ring. I'm also bald enough for this club.
Na...different sports....and I doubt you were responsible for running/overseeing 3 grades, firsts, reserves and 18's with over 60 players, several coaches, dealing with players from from 17 years old to 30 plus, numerous stakeholders ....and budget of $300k or so on players....in a competition which along with the Newcastle comp is the second biggest in the state behind NSW cup....the standard is high....and comp has produced many NRL players...

the job is bigger than running a NSW cup or flegg side as there is no NRL club support and more responsibilities...

Obviously not NRL standard/level, but it's a pretty decent entry point into a coaching career and to see what is needed......

Suitman

Post Whore
My opinion is that not appointing Cheika is a massive opportunity lost.
We have a decent roster although we lack depth. What we need is a man manager and motivator. The club needs a MASSIVE shakeup.
It is my belief that of all the contenders for the coaching position Cheika was (?) the only person properly qualified to do this.
Parramatta still doing Parramatta things.

Last edited:

Tmars

Juniors
Both Hannay and Ryles are unknowns. It's laughable that we're considering either. It's absolutely amateur hour.

What stats can anyone pull out on Hannay besides sitting next to Billy. What about Ryles besides hearing Bellamy blow up in the box 📦

All I know about Ryles is that he was the defensive coach at the Roosters in 2022 .

Hannay? If pau pau was so smart, tell us is he in charge of attack or defence, and where are the stats to support him

The three amigos doing the interviews can't go with either of these two otherwise we're looking at multiple bottom 4 finishes.
The only reason people are choosing Hannay is because they think he's going to pull a few qldr's to parra. That's it.
Yep crazy to consider Ryles or Hannay!
Fitzgibbon and Ciraldo and Webster have been a disaster right??

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Na...different sports....and I doubt you were responsible for running/overseeing 3 grades, firsts, reserves and 18's with over 60 players, several coaches, dealing with players from from 17 years old to 30 plus, numerous stakeholders ....and budget of $300k or so on players....in a competition which along with the Newcastle comp is the second biggest in the state behind NSW cup....the standard is high....and comp has produced many NRL players...

the job is bigger than running a NSW cup or flegg side as there is no NRL club support and more responsibilities...

Obviously not NRL standard/level, but it's a pretty decent entry point into a coaching career and to see what is needed......
Are you Ryles manager???

Last thing we need is another Bush coach.

chiefy1

Bench
Yep crazy to consider Ryles or Hannay!
Fitzgibbon and Ciraldo and Webster have been a disaster right??

Without Gould pulling the strings would Cirialdo be doing as well ?

Webster - bad start this year ? Could he be a one hit wonder ?

Fitzgibbon is doing well, but well see if they again fail in the big matches.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Both Hannay and Ryles are unknowns. It's laughable that we're considering either. It's absolutely amateur hour.

What stats can anyone pull out on Hannay besides sitting next to Billy. What about Ryles besides hearing Bellamy blow up in the box 📦

The three amigos doing the interviews can't go with either of these two otherwise we're looking at multiple bottom 4 finishes.
The only reason people are choosing Hannay is because they think he's going to pull a few qldr's to parra. That's it.
I still have an open mind but my choice would be Holbrook.
A slight concern with Hannay is he was overlooked for Slater, a bloke who's not coached previously. Hes also been a caretaker twice and overlooked both times. Anyway whoever, its change we needed and we gunna get that.

Last edited:

JokerEel

Coach
Bet the club is only looking at Ryles and Hannay as they are the cheapest..

Hannay apparently is not going to change all the staff which the club will also like with not having to spend more money...

I will assume Cheika and Demetriou wanted to make more changes to things. Demetriou would have learnt from what happened at South's and wanted big changes.
Who wouldn't the club is a mess....

Latest posts