What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Blaming ‘coaching’ for everything is naive and lazy.
No-one's blaming coaching for everything. But people are entitled to critically reflect on apparent issues re coaching without your constant strawman noise to the contrary.
The type of thinking that lets merkins think that sacking a coach will solve all the club’s problems.
No-one's saying it will solve every problem. Your own strawman noise again.
Have a look at these merkins. “We need to announce the coach soon enough to sign players for next year blah blah.”
Are you saying players will willingly sign to come or stay with a club without knowledge of who the coach is at least meant to be? Naive strawman.
It’s obviously all part of someone else’s job description. They don’t want a coach balls deep in everything. They want someone to run the team he’s given.
Intelligent people might conclude that a head coach is at least part of the decision making for recruitment and retention, surely. Otherwise it's a lame duck position which no-one would want, and which clubs wouldn't pay as much as they do.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ol mate at the pub last night (Drags Fan): so I hear Lomax can pull the pin if he wants.
Me: wtf ?
Ol mate: He had a BA clause in the contract and BA has walked so he's undecided, waiting to see who the new coach will be before deciding.
Me: I call bullshit, our club isn't that silly, oh wait..........

jason taylor

Bench
Ol mate at the pub last night (Drags Fan): so I hear Lomax can pull the pin if he wants.
Ol mate: He had a BA clause in the contract and BA has walked so he's undecided, waiting to see who the new coach will be before deciding.
(Of course could be a load of crock) but I recall that media reports were that Lomax had requested a BA clause in his contract, it was rejected, but he signed anyway.

The story is that Brad tried to put the clause in but the club caught him out:

I doubt he will fall on his pork sword and try to reneg to stay at the club he spent months trying to abandon.

Hes part of the solution, but there are other pieces of the jigsaw to sort out.

I’d like to see the new coach take over asap and see what can be salvaged from this season.

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal
Brad tried to put that clause in to protect his incompetent and self serving arse.

I am so glad that he is finally gone. I suspect despite the comparisons to Harry Grant (hello TCT) Matt Arthur will follow.

I’m so shook up about it too.

Brad tried to put that clause in to protect his incompetent and self serving arse.

I am so glad that he is finally gone. I suspect despite the comparisons to Harry Grant (hello TCT) Matt Arthur will follow.

I’m so shook up about it too.
I agree.

I’ve considered the alternatives and concluded that even if Zac was the one insisting on it, he still ultimately agreed with the clause being removed.

The difficulty with the clause is that it seems to put Brad’s personal interests over the club he was contracted to serve.

I suspect the issue was not well received at HQ and hastened calls for his dismissal,

On the basis that if Brad is prepared to cross the line with Zac, all bets are off.
It is untenable and upsetting that the coach should tie an asset to himself.

There’s speculation that Zac wanted out of SGI last year and he began his campaign then.

And the “best guesses” are that it’s club and official related as well as interests in boxing and so forth.

Brad should have refused to tie Zac to himself. But he was willing to drink from the poisoned chalice and paid the ultimate price for disloyalty.

As you know, I think Brad is a good coach

You guys set him up for life and this is how he repays you?

Last edited:

84 Baby

Referee
Bryce Cartwright 2024 2025
Clint Gutherson 2024 2025
Joey Lussick 2024 2025
Wiremu Greig 2024 2025
Shaun Lane 2024 2025 MO
Sean Russell 2024 2025
Ryan Matterson 2024 2025 PO
Reagan Campbell-Gillard 2024 2025
Maika Sivo 2024 2025 MO CO
Junior Paulo 2024 2025 2026
1. Make Paulo available - I think his output to salary is the worst in team but he stills have value and that contract length is probably the most negotiable
2. Make Matterson available - that’s assuming medical doesn’t catch up first
3. Make Lane available - the MO makes him slightly better “value”
4. Make Sivo available- he’d be higher if not for our lack of backs and the options in our favour
5. Make Lussick available - but we need a hooker
6. Greig and Russell are probably not on top 17 money so can probably see out their contracts. Perhaps a new coach can unlock them.
7. Make RCG available - way down the list because I think he’s the most likely to recover some output for salary plus he’s been ok, just not value
8. Make Cartwright available - see RCG but Cartwright is reportedly on a lot less
9. Gutherson - fine to see out contract if necessary

What’s striking about these players to me (except Lussick, Greig and Russell) is that they are good players in good teams (so they may draw interest), but they’re bad players in bad teams. With the exception of Gutherson, these are more the downhill skiers than Moses is, and Moses relies on them for him to be able to perform

The next coach, write into his contract that he can’t sign players tying them to himself.

I’m pretty sure every club will want a copy of your clause for their own agreements.

If the new coach doesn’t like it, he’s prepared to serve himself over the club, so stuff him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He also had a group of highly talented players who were perfectly suited to the game at that time.
They were, thanks to his recruitment and tactics. Then the following three years they weren’t perfectly suited, and he had to rebuild. During that time, bigger clubs with better rosters (Roosters, Dogs and Broncos) didn’t decline. Their players were well suited to any interpretation of the rules.

Latest posts