What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels rebels sell Brett Kenny a big dummy

Craig Johnston

First Grade
I wonder what other sucessful club would have such an article written about a former legend. I'm sure Bert is not the only legend o struggle with life after League. You just don't hear that crap from Saints, Easts, Souffs or either Tigers partner. Hughes at Canterbury - well that's just a spat that spilled outside the club.

2 tries, in 3 GF's, 265 games. He's our best ever local junior. He deserves more respect than the "F*ck Kenny" comments from f*ckwits who wouldn't remember who Michael Vella was and think Daniel Anderson was our best ever coach.

X2

Forty20

First Grade
Who is the coach of Wenty now? Is he any good?

Brett Cook has stepped up from coaching Wenty's extremely successful Bundy Cup squad to take on the NSW Cup head coach role.

So as far as credentials go he is off to a solid start.

bildo

Juniors
I wonder what other sucessful club would have such an article written about a former legend. I'm sure Bert is not the only legend o struggle with life after League. You just don't hear that crap from Saints, Easts, Souffs or either Tigers partner. Hughes at Canterbury - well that's just a spat that spilled outside the club.

2 tries, in 3 GF's, 265 games. He's our best ever local junior. He deserves more respect than the "F*ck Kenny" comments from f*ckwits who wouldn't remember who Michael Vella was and think Daniel Anderson was our best ever coach.

In years to come, no one is going to care less about a clique of stupid old 'know it alls' , that spend their days talking sh*t. Kenny will always be a club legend.

Suitman

Post Whore
I will ask at the preseason fan forum and let you know.

Indeed. A broken promise, and an important one.
You'd really think the club would want to absorb, involve and reward all those fans who they have begged to become members and who have done so.
A simple fans forum would go a long way towards achieving that, one would think.

Suity

eels81236

Bench
Indeed. A broken promise, and an important one.
You'd really think the club would want to absorb, involve and reward all those fans who they have begged to become members and who have done so.
A simple fans forum would go a long way towards achieving that, one would think.

Suity

We should all feel the same as Kenny. Used. We were just a means to an end, I'm afraid.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Watching the NYC team for the past few seasons I think Matt Cameron is very lucky to still have that role. Why not let Kenny coach NYC?

Delboy

First Grade
The reason why it is difficult to give Bert an ongoing coaching role is pretty simple, he doesn't appear to be very good at it.

He would still be involved in that capacity if he was, frankly you need to be more than a past legend to get these jobs, the results are far more important. Speak to players he has been involved with and it helps understand why he is finding it difficult to get that sort of role

Maroubra Eel

Coach
The reason why it is difficult to give Bert an ongoing coaching role is pretty simple, he doesn't appear to be very good at it.

He would still be involved in that capacity if he was, frankly you need to be more than a past legend to get these jobs, the results are far more important. Speak to players he has been involved with and it helps understand why he is finding it difficult to get that sort of role

So why did Ozzy promise him a role with first grade? Or did he?

eels81236

Bench

I understand this. As far as coaches go he is a bus.

Why would the bloke be lied to about getting a gig though?

I find it funny how the former board brigade on here are still at it. It's amusing watching desperate people ask the so many unimportant questions.

Parra Guru

Coach
Come on really... It's been a long time since Bert has played. He has had a while to sort his sh*t out in terms of employment. Yes he split with his wife and went broke, but I don't see how it's Parra's responsibility to rescue him because he needs a job.

DeanPay98

Juniors
my guess is that Paul Osborne doesn't like saying no and gave Kenny a non-commital answer which the latter interpreted as a yes. But that is just a guess.

I remember Brett Kenny as a great player. But I'd be heartbroken if Hindy or Caylo were still here in twenty years time arking up about how the club owes them a job etc. All that this episode shows is that players need to be prepared for a life after footy. It doesn't seem that Kenny had any career in mind during his playing days. So his current woes are fairly predictable.

I think the club has been doing a good job since the 1990's in helping players transition. Thats probably why you don't see these type of stories about Dean Pay, Jim Dymock or Jarred McCracken.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think the club has been doing a good job since the 1990's in helping players transition. Thats probably why you don't see these type of stories about Dean Pay, Jim Dymock or Jarred McCracken.

.....or any other player who made a squillion from the super league war