What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swiftstylez

Bench
I'm glad to see most of the discussion can see the issue from the boards side rather than just bowing down to the almighty leader.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. The NRL's kangaroo court needs to be challenged.

But surely the NRL Lawyers have been through the document. In fact its the lawyers who should have written the document.
100% correct, in fact it should be double and triple checked.
This could turn out very bad for the NRL if they didn't cross all the t's and dot all the i's.
3 or 4 at the NRL would have walk if it went against them and Greenberg would be one of them.

Swiftstylez

Bench
The best thing the NRL could have done was sat down with Parra first and gave them the opportunity of reply before going to media. And Parra asked for this in the beginning.. This was just another dumb decision by Todd Greenberg,. Just silly

Exactly mate. How can the NRL leak their own findings to media organisations that have a stake in them for weeks on end and think the eels will just bend over when they don't allow them to work it out with the NRL behind closed doors? If public opinion influences the outcome in a real court case and turns into a witch hunt the perpetrator can walk free. How is this any different? In saying that it is actually worse because the adjudicator leaked the proceedings themselves.

Again, wake up sheep and f**k the NRL.

strider

Post Whore
Im starting to wonder if the NRL actually did an investigation or just sat around each afternoon reading the newspapers.

:lol:

Investigator #1: Look at page 24
Investigator #2: Should I wrote it down?
#1: Nah just photocopy it
#2: Nothing in the paper yesterday
#1: Its ok that Seaweed guy is gonna give us 37 pages tomorrow

eels_fan

First Grade
I still remember only a few weeks into the investigation, News Limited was running a pole on how many points we WILL lose. From memory zero wasn't even an option.

If love to see how a defence attorney would have handled that if their client, who by the letter of the law has a presumption of innocence, had the largest media organisation in the land running poles on their clients potential conviction before they'd even had a charge laid against them

Gazzamatta

Coach
It was all about grandstanding and Greenberg making one of his "look at me Im the new boss" statements.
Its the only time Ive ever witnessed a termination by announcing it to the world while those being sacked were seated in the audience and hearing it for the first time. Totally unprofessional and wasnt even close to his so called procedural fairness. Guilty until proved innocent.
Meanwhile one Seyward is home feeling very pleased with himself while checking Ebay and Gumtree to see if any of his stock has sold.
Im so cranky I could just spit.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Kent has sand in his vagina http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...p/news-story/b7b7f2877f3806494732ddace6015284

NRL’s backflip on Parramatta points decision a major misstep
May 6, 2016 7:12pm
PAUL KENTThe Daily Telegraph

IF you can get out-smarted by the Parramatta board, how bad are you going?

The Parramatta Gang of Five had their Supreme Court injunction extended to Monday and came out with news the NRL is prepared to let them play for premiership points despite not satisfying the game’s demand to stand down.

Such a backdown defeats everything the NRL stood for with all their tough talk on Tuesday.

Hours after NRL boss Todd Greenberg made the apparently tough decision on Tuesday, handled himself with aplomb in the press conference, he arrived at Fox Sports for his appearance on NRL360.

We were sitting in the green room minutes before heading on set for NRL360 and he asked what I thought of the punishment.

My initial reaction to allow them the chance to play in this year’s finals was a bit soft, I said, but the more I thought about it the more I saw how clever it was the decision.

It forced Parramatta to get under the salary cap quickly and forced the club to remove its poor administrators, those responsible.

“Exactly,” he said.

Two days later Greenberg met with club bosses, who have a great interest in this. How it plays out could fundamentally change the way business is done in the NRL.

Greenberg told the club bosses that Parramatta had approached them seeking help to get below the salary before kick-off.

He said he told Parramatta he did not want to talk to them while ever the officials were taking legal action against the NRL.

The following morning, the NRL softened on that tough stance.

So as it turns out there appears nothing very clever about it at all. They are still there and the NRL is allowing them to play for points if they satisfy the second part of the punishment, becoming salary cap compliant.

If so, it leaves nothing left.

Already everybody has spoken about how easy it would be for the Eels to become salary cap compliant by simply retiring Anthony Watmough on the career ending insurance scheme.

The Eels are $570,000 over and Watmough earns in the vicinity of $750,000.

Even Watmough has offered to take one for the team and retire, bless him.

Yet given the amounts stated this can happen only if the salary cap auditor uses his discretion to decide Watmough’s entire contract is not counted.

If it is applied to the letter, meaning 25 per cent of Watmough’s contract still applies given he did not suffer the injury until February, once a new player comes into the top 25 it would again push the Eels over.

So the NRL would need to apply discretion to wipe it all off.

Unless, again, the NRL applies discretion.

It is all starting to look too convenient.

At the same time Will Hopoate still has his court case going ahead which, oddly, recently got the slows.

No-one can explain why the hold up.

Earlier this week I asked the NRL media department if Hopoate’s settlement would be included in the salary cap.

They said it would not be included in the salary cap because it would be a compensation payment and not salary.

Other clubs heard this and rubbed their hands with one thought.

Beautiful.

Every time a player has reached his use-by date before his contract is up or a club gets in salary cap trouble they will simply sack him and compensate him, knowing the money will not be included in the salary cap.

Unfortunately, the information the NRL gave out is not true.

According to the NRL’s own contract, Hopoate’s payment will have to go on the salary cap.

In the “NRL Playing Contract and Remuneration Rules”, part 8.3, subsection 65 (f) states money will be included in the cap if it is a “Beneficial entitlement, in law or in equity”. Sub-section 65 (j) states it’s included if they “Chose in action, being a right to sue someone”.

Both comfortably satisfy Hopoate’s claim should be included in the salary cap.

When this was brought up Thursday, in relation to, Greenberg told club bosses he knew his media department had given the wrong information.

So what is going on in there?

Lacking in the NRL’s actions since Tuesday’s punishment is consistency and transparency.

All while it appears to be working towards getting the Eels ready to play for points next Thursday, their only true loss being a player they have not played with this season, anyway.

Avenger

Immortal
I imagine it's not going to work out well when a barrister gets a hold of it..

The NRL have underestimated the power of the courts and the board's decision to use it. Can you begin to imagine if this comes to a hearing and Seward is issued a subpoena to give evidence? It would be a bloodbath for not only him but the NRL. Conflicts of interest, self incrimination, the reliability of the evidence of a whistleblower et al. There is no way the NRL would want this. That is why the NRL will compromise and settle this with a reduction in penalty. That's how I see it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts