What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipmunk

Coach
So Jake, for arguments sake (ha rhyme), let's say we take the NRL to court and the board are completely, 100% cleared of any wrong doing. Would you admit you were wrong about them? I bet you wouldn't.

But at the moment, with no clear proof of full guilt yet, you are quite happy to lynch them, and are almost demanding anyone to stood by them to admit they were wrong..

#Landscaper #hashtagsarestupid

I think it needs to be stressed, that the board isn't currently taking the NRL to court because they think they did nothing wrong, they're taking the NRL to court because they are arguing that the NRL has no authority over the Parramatta League Club and subsequently the Parramatta NRL Team board and as a result has no jurisdiction to remove the board members, etc.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Former NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert says the Parramatta Eels will be cap compliant by Friday's game against South Sydney.

Schubert is consulting for the club trying to help it get back below the salary cap, which the NRL estimates the Eels have exceeded by over $500,000.

He met with the NRL for two-and-a-half hours on Monday and said it was a productive meeting.

"The club's very confident we can get to where we need to be for this weekend," he told reporters.

"We've got a little bit of homework to do, throw some numbers up in the air and see what happens."

"Most certainly the club will be cap compliant. We'll have a full capacity on Friday night and we'll be playing for points," he added.

The ABC understands Schubert met with current NRL cap auditor Jamie L'Oste-Brown and integrity unit boss Nick Weeks.

Part of the Eels' attempt to be cap compliant is the approval of Anthony Watmough's medical retirement.

If the NRL agrees to allow the remainder of Watmough's contract to be paid out outside the salary cap and backdates it to the beginning of the year, the club would almost certainly come under the cap.

But Schubert refused to talk specifically about how close the club was to reaching an agreement with the league.

'Quite exciting' for Schubert to be on the side of the clubs

Schubert was in charge of the NRL's cap when the Melbourne Storm were stripped of two titles and unable to play for points back in 2010.

He said it is "exciting" being on the other side this time around.

"I understand where the clubs come from and always did," he said.

"But ... it's a matter of understanding where the NRL comes from as much the NRL's understanding of where the clubs come from and the difficulty of trying to manage the cap."

Five officials from the club, including chairman Steve Sharp and chief executive John Boulos, are currently fighting the NRL in court.

Schubert would not comment on whether the five officials should fall on their swords, but said it was only fair that the league allowed the club to play for points while the case was ongoing.

"That's due process and I think most certainly the fans need to have something to look forward to," he said.

"The players and the club are very keen to make sure everything's out, and everything's done properly and we'll all get on with it."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-...060?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

So Jake, for arguments sake (ha rhyme), let's say we take the NRL to court and the board are completely, 100% cleared of any wrong doing. Would you admit you were wrong about them? I bet you wouldn't.

But at the moment, with no clear proof of full guilt yet, you are quite happy to lynch them, and are almost demanding anyone to stood by them to admit they were wrong..

#Landscaper #hashtagsarestupid

I like how you ask me a question and then answer it yourself. But Yes, to your first question.

Before this shit came out everyone knew my feelings about the board. I'm sticking to that. Saying that everyone has a right to defend themselves otherwise it would be unfair....and they have 28 days to do it. But for our club to be saying that we will be cap compliant before the Souths game is already an admission of guilt.

I do recall you saying that the board must stand down when the initial penalty was handed down, that's ok if you are swing voter no judgements here.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Just to be clear, it is not Choc's insurance that needs approval - it is his retirement and effective date.
If insurance doesn't pay, then the club can and it won't be in the cap.

Approval of retirement by NRL and approval of insurance payout are 2 different things.

Mate I'm sick of explaining it to these f**king nitwits.

Neither the NRL nor Watmough give a f**k about the insurance. Choc will be paid anyway and it won't affect whether the NRL determine his injury to be career ending. The only party that would care about the insurance is the Eels, because it means it doesn't come out of our pocket.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So sorry champ, was away for the weekend and now catching up on what has been written. I'll start off by saying You are a f**king grub. Who the hell are you to say that I hate good news for the club? Just because I was right about your plumbing mate and you hate it .... It must be killing you that I was right
This board has been a disaster but you and your mates blame the media, you can call it smear, cover up blah blah blah and you can call it whatever the f**k you like to make you feel good about yourself champ. You can point the finger at other clubs.

But all your excuses doesn't change the fact that we will be penalised and when we do get penalised whatever points that maybe whether it's 4 ,12 or 20 the 5 people responsible have to stand down for the good of the club.

Not that I have to justify myself to you, you genius, but I would love to get a lighter penalty. I would love for the NRL to be dead wrong and we get off.

Yeah you'll be dancing in the streets. We only ever hear from you when the media is fabricating stories about us. You're hungry for bad news. You believe every word.

Yeah you'll be dancing in the streets. We only ever hear from you when the media is fabricating stories about us. You're hungry for bad news. You believe every word.

:lol:

Who am I disagree with you. You must be right, you must know me more than I do. You and a few others on here like ElDicko make me laugh, suddenly everyone has become a DIY lawyer. You've been watching too much PERRY MASON you dickhead. Or is it POUPOU MASON?

:lol:

Who am I disagree with you. You must be right, you must know me more than I do. You and a few others on here like ElDicko make me laugh, suddenly everyone has become a DIY lawyer. You've been watching too much PERRY MASON you dickhead. Or is it POUPOU MASON?

Never mind him Paul

Haters gonna hate

murraymob

Coach
Shubert will be on nine news tonight announcing you are now cap compliant and ready t play for points this weekend

ash411

Bench
I think it needs to be stressed, that the board isn't currently taking the NRL to court because they think they did nothing wrong, they're taking the NRL to court because they are arguing that the NRL has no authority over the Parramatta League Club and subsequently the Parramatta NRL Team board and as a result has no jurisdiction to remove the board members, etc.

Yeah, I know that, the question was hypothetical.

However, the NRL can de-register them and they can still serve on the PLC board, there's nothing that says they can't, even the NRL haven't said that.

They are asking them to stand down from the PNRL board. 2 different boards. Even though both boards have the same members, they are still 2 separate boards, I remember a while ago there was a big to-do about it, and they said that PLC and PNRL meetings are held separately, and there is no "cross contamination" between the two.

To it is plausible for the board to stand down form the PNRL board, while remaining on the PLC board.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Shubert will be on nine news tonight announcing you are now cap compliant and ready t play for points this weekend

well I hope the club gives choc the respect he deserves by officially announcing his retirement before we get all excited to be playing for points...

ash411

Bench
I like how you ask me a question and then answer it yourself. But Yes, to your first question.

Before this shit came out everyone knew my feelings about the board. I'm sticking to that. Saying that everyone has a right to defend themselves otherwise it would be unfair....and they have 28 days to do it. But for our club to be saying that we will be cap compliant before the Souths game is already an admission of guilt.

I do recall you saying that the board must stand down when the initial penalty was handed down, that's ok if you are swing voter no judgements here.

Yep, I totally did. and it's still my feelings. They messed up and should go, IMO.

The difference between you and me, is I am open to having my mind changed. I won't stubbornly stick to an opinion I formed 100 years ago because I was butthurt about something and won't let it go. I don't know what triggered you initially, you've been calling them incompetent for their entire term, before they actually were able to DO anything, so it must have come from where else..

the situation is different though when the initial penalty was handed down the nrl ruled the board had to stand down or the eels would be playing for no points even if we were under the cap that ruling has now been changed

Stagger eel

Staff member
Jake, take a deep breath..

I think the GO5 deserve to have their time in court as it does appear that the NRL have failed miserably in giving us any 'procedural fairness' in all this and with the sudden backdown on their part, this may turn around and bit them square in the arse..

in saying that we should never have been in this situation to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.