What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

hindy111

Post Whore
By signing more rep-level players on high wages you give yourself more cover against injury problems. Other clubs could fairly argue that the quality of the backup for Watmough that we have been able to afford is greater than it should have been.

When you assemble a squad, you know that some of them are going to be injured for a significant proportion of the season. The fact that a bloke gets injured doesn't mean that his club gets no advantage by having signed him with some amount (apparently) illegally outside the cap.

It is a little different that it is perhaps career ending rather then season ending.

Delboy

First Grade
Have been a STH since 1982, if by any chance Fitzy gets back in th club, I will not renew.

There is no coincidence in the leaks to media and others and his " I want to lead the club again" , can't stand the bloke or his friend, we should make this obvious if we feel about it this way.

ek999

First Grade
Well can he do that? That was never part of the original announcement and was a court decision that the 5 people got their jobs back. Not that I'm agreeing they should of but it's a court decision.

He said that the way the breach notice that was issued to the club was written that they can only accrue points if they aren't there anymore. Didn't go into anymore detail then that

eels_fan

First Grade
Greenberg did say prior to the press conference in his interview with Hadley (which really shouldn't have happened BEFORE the press conference), that if the 5 didn't resign that we would not be eligible to play for points, it is a condition. The NRL de-registered them, but it was up to them to formally resign. So whilst the injunction has removed their de-registration, I'm not sure it counters the requirement of them to resign that is tied to our ability to accumulate points..

hindy111

Post Whore
How does that affect the disadvantage experienced by the other clubs over the 1st nine weeks?

I am just stating that we have not used him. He has not played and so our team on the field if you didnt count watmoughs money would more then likely fit under the cap.

I am not suggesting we should be given our points back. If fit he more then likely would be playing. But that fact is he is not.

I am not sure how smart DA is and the board and who they have talked to. For all we know they have already seeked legal advice about the cap and watmough and are going to use it as arguement in court. This is just speculation. It is not like they would admit to any of this :p

IFR33K

Coach
Ok. Does the NRL have the power to stop us playing for points if the 5 stay in charge and we are cap compliant?????

Can that be overturned by the courts???? If I were sharp, I'd be threatening to take the matter to court, unless the NRL allows 6 points to remain. On the condition of course that the five walk without a court case.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
Is the team we have fielded so far in 2016 under the Salary cap Not including watmough's salary ? Its does have some merit - I do not know legal procedures or the law.
AS HJ mentioned if proven Watmough has filed for insurance and to be not part of the 2016 squad i guess it would be up to the supreme courts to decide if it counts fairly under the cap and how we have gained an advantage from a guy who has filed for compensation.

Put it differently - If a company hires an employee his wage becomes a TAX deduction against profits. If he is hurt and goes on workers comp the Employee is no longer paying him so is unable to claim his money as a tax deduction. The money is coming from another source.

If watmough is PAID by insurance for 2016 and not from Parra then i think we may have some sort of case as the club has not paid him.

murraymob

Coach
just a twist .The nrl is in its 7th financial month meaning Watmugh has been paid 7 months of his contract already. So even if he retired only the last 5 months would count towards the 570k you need to shed
Now I don't know what he gets paid but you would think the last 5 months would be less than 570k

Noise

Coach
just a twist .The nrl is in its 7th financial month meaning Watmugh has been paid 7 months of his contract already. So even if he retired only the last 5 months would count towards the 570k you need to shed
Now I don't know what he gets paid but you would think the last 5 months would be less than 570k

I think there is an acceptance by most rational fans that it will probably be Watmough plus one or two others

hindy111

Post Whore

Not if he filed his injury earlier. Workers comp would pay out from injury date and club id assume would be back paid that amount.
Thats is if he has even filed an injury claim?

Johnny88

Juniors

Hooper said it could be backdated to rd1 and its being fast tracked.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Have been a STH since 1982, if by any chance Fitzy gets back in th club, I will not renew.

There is no coincidence in the leaks to media and others and his " I want to lead the club again" , can't stand the bloke or his friend, we should make this obvious if we feel about it this way.

i'm betting the DT will be running his campaign

Noise

Coach
watmough plus Morgan

Done

Unfortunately Morgan leaving probably only freed up 80 grand. Lets say he was on 160k. We let him go and then have to bring a minimum wage player on 80k. That only frees up 80k.

Suitman

Post Whore
Greenberg just told Kent he is sure no other club is cheating the cap lol

he also avoided his question about the Broncos investigation

Source?

If so, I'm over the NRL.

Not just because of that comment, but due to the way they have handled this whole scandal, and the way they are dealing with every situation that unfolds ever since this f**king commission was set up, and even before that.

Didn't the NRL's auditors run a fine tooth comb through us last year and give us the all clear?

How did the NRL find out about the Melbourne Storm situation, or the Bulldogs, or the Warriors.
They found out about those situations due to snitches. The same way they found out about ours.
Yet, less than 12 months ago, their former chief auditor was given the job by our club to go through our books and in compliance with the NRL, THEY GAVE US THE ALL CLEAR.
How does this happen?
Is this not proof (4 times now) that their own auditing system is a complete joke?
What I can't get my head around is this - clearly Watmough was enticed to Parramatta by a good salary and a decent TPA and a long (40) year contract.
Do the NRL not have the power to demand who is supplying his TPA? I would assume they do.
If so, wouldn't a simple ASIC check have found the link to the parent company that was linked to the club through our own dealings previously?
I just can't get my head around the fact that a company, linked to a company that has contracts at the club, wasn't found through what should be some seriously professional auditing and some basic checks.
I also cannot get my head around how much information has been linked to the media through this whole process. Firstly, but less importantly, whatever came from the Eels. That just saddens me and astounds me that a so called (or several) Eels fans would do that.
Secondly, the leaks to the media from the NRL WTF is that about and where was it coming from? The proposed penalties, etc......
The fact that it was reported two weeks ago that this would not be announced till after the Bulldogs game..........and it was. Like, who is passing this stuff on to the media.

I'm really sad tonight. As are we all I suppose.
It's the first year that we all had hope of some decent success, and the boys have been seriously putting it on for us on the field. I take my hat off to Brad Arthur for bringing the boys together.

I'm sad that we have been rooted by individuals that want nothing more than power to run our club. Those being, the current board, the previous board and the previous board before that. They are all guilty, and they are all now victims of their own selfishness.

I'll cheer on the boys with passion this season, but those in the upper reaches of our club, ALL OF THEM, can well and truly go and f**k off forever.
Young Jumpsuit is very sad tonight. A junior fan who has trouble remembering the 2009 GF season, could finally see some light at the end of the tunnel this year. Not any more.

Suity

BM1979

Juniors
Ok. Does the NRL have the power to stop us playing for points if the 5 stay in charge and we are cap compliant?????

Can that be overturned by the courts???? If I were sharp, I'd be threatening to take the matter to court, unless the NRL allows 6 points to remain. On the condition of course that the five walk without a court case.

You never win challenging City Hall, they could screw you over in a number of ways

Edit- Sorry I didn't realize I was in the Parra board have been out and left my computer on

Last edited:
Ahhh the memories....

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/e26a394f37200ed99b3048eacb969bbb

Eels hire former NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert to fix financial issues

November 20, 2015 5:06pm
DAVID RICCIOThe Daily Telegraph

Describing Schubert’s inside knowledge and experience as an asset, Parramatta chairman Steve Sharp said the club had been able to not only move towards total control of their cap, but also that they had now space leftover to spend on any desired recruits ahead of the 2016 season.

“Schuey has been fantastic — he knows the salary cap better than anybody,’’ Sharp said.

“In the short time that he’s been involved with us, he’s been great.

been able to clear up the salary cap, create space in our salary cap and for want of a better term we now own our salary cap, instead of being bound by contracts of the past.

“But further, there’s also an education process going forward to teach the key people in our organisation exactly how it (salary cap) works and what the expectations are.

WHAT THE FRIG HAPPENED???

#goodgovernance

Gronk

Staff member
I think it's pretty clear that Sharp / Schuey saying that we are cap compliant and now we're not is because the NRL have bundled some TPAs back within the cap.

Our ongoing dispute, should be go down that path, is to demonstrate that the TPAs are in fact at arms length.

Status
Not open for further replies.