What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You can't do either of those. The retirement is out of your hands as it needs to go through the medical review process and players aren't allowed to take pay cuts this year to get you back under the cap per the NRL

Well none of the other players want to leave. They are tight knit and all have legally binding contracts. Looks like we won't be getting under the cap and instead will just have to be happy beating your team and spoiling your finals chances.

How do you like that smarty pants?

strider

Post Whore
Id still like to know actual details of it all

We ahve supposedly been on average $800K over the cap the prior 3 years ... thats alot .... how?

^b0ss^

Juniors
2 of them can stay away. Sterlo isn't interested. He said tonight in his show he knows nothing about balance sheets but if the need help with being a half he is happy to help. He then recommended a Bernie Gert (sp) for the CEO role. Apparently he was close to getting the job last time

nor did this mob..lol

IFR33K

Coach
Well none of the other players want to leave. They are tight knit and all have legally binding contracts. Looks like we won't be getting under the cap and instead will just have to be happy beating your team and spoiling your finals chances.

How do you like that smarty pants?

Lol. I think we beat his team twice already...

akers

Juniors
If the 5 were to step down,if the club see fit can they still challenge all the other prelim findings??

IFR33K

Coach

We ahve supposedly been on average $800K over the cap the prior 3 years ... thats alot .... how?

I believe it all started when we were paying players to play elsewhere. From there we were chasing our tails, while nuffies like sandow were eating at the cap. We cheated to field a competitive team from there.

ash411

Bench
While Chipmunk's theory a few pages back makes a great story, and seems plausible, the simple fact is this.

The board willfully tried to cheat the cap under the NRL's nose. They got caught, then continued to hide shit from them. Explain to me why it's weird that the NRL would want them out? It sounds exactly right to me, I want them out too.

Maybe their case isn't as strong as they'd like us to believe it is, and maybe by putting a clock on it and forcing them to go is just that, a tactic. But it doesn't change the fact that they are cheats, and do not deserve to even sweep up the BGA store's floor.

They didn't need to turn fans against them, a lot of fans were already iffy on them already, the rest of us we unsure until we saw proof, we've seen it now, and there is no doubt that they need to go, deadline or not, points or not I'd feel the same way.

Stagger eel

Staff member
If these guys don't fall on their sword tomorrow than any ounce of credibility ( if they had any to begin with ) goes as far as I'm concerned I don't ever want to see them anywhere near our club ever again.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes immediately we should try to resolve Watmough issue this season in prep for next season. But the 5 knobs are digging for a long legal stouch. So we will be playing for no points anyway. Even if members were to vote out the board we are looking at a month before it could be done. By then it will be all over re the comp. now is not the time for rash moves regarding players. We still have to think about the future. If the 5 knobs had of stood down yesterday we may of been half a hope. The 5 knobs are just rubbing salt in the wound now.

The legal challenge is the only thing we have any hope of winning this year thanks to your mates leaking shit to the media. I hope the legally elected Eels board smashes the NRL. f**k them.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gurr didn't get the gig last time because he wasn't best mates with a board member.

Hope he is in the running this time.

Djay

Juniors
Ok, well I have now had some time to sit back, relax and look at things from a less emotional perspective and have concluded that yesterday the NRL made its greatest strategic move in its entire history. Here are my thoughts or theory on why I believe this to be so.

The NRL is unhappy with the current regime and the way they have operated the club, they've made no secret of this fact, so it was important to remove these people from the club. The NRL has got Parra for doing some dodgy things in relation to the salary cap, I've got no doubt about that, but what is the extent of this 'dodgy' behaviour?

Is it 25 fake invoices of just one?
Is it a cash payment to everyone in the top 25 of is it just Lee Mossop?
Have we procured Third Party Agreements for every player or is it just a Watmough and maybe one other?

At this stage, we don't really know and for the NRL's purpose of the offence of breaching the salary cap we really only have to have done it once to really be guilty of an offence. So the NRL uses it?s public statement to send a powerful message to the club. No one outside of the board really knows exactly the extent of the breach and even the board doesn?t probably know at this stage the strength of any evidence the NRL has actually got when they determined that breach. The board probably believes that the NRL hard evidence is bugger all, but they?ve still got something and really wants this evidence tested in a real court.

For whatever reason, as part of it's investigation the NRL makes a determination that all our TPA's are dodgy and not at arms length or whatever and they have to be now included in our salary cap. This is a key determination in all of this, as from what I understand, this particular determination is unprecedented at this level. The NRL had to know that this was a risky determination to make, as it is probably the only real reason that we now find ourselves over the cap for the 2016 season. It was risky because the NRL probably knows that if the club wanted to challenge this that there is a risk that the NRL could lose this aspect of the breach in court. My guess is that although the NRL is confident in their findings and with their evidence, they don?t really want to have this evidence tested in a court (for a multitude of reasons).

So the NRL sends the club a breach notice with a penalty that involves all our points so far, a pointless fine, which for an organisation that probably churns through the fine amount in the pokies every week, isn't going to lose much sleep over, but then also requests the removal of our current regime (key board/executive).

When they delivered the breach notice they informed the club that they can play for points once it is salary cap compliant, but this is also contingent on accepting the terms of the breach notice (accepting guilt, paying the fine, board/executive leave and getting under the cap). Now my guess here is that the NRL knew that we would become salary cap compliant before our next match before yesterday, as they were fully aware of the Watmough situation and they knew that Ryan Morgan had just departed the club last week, already freeing up some of that $570l. I'd be shocked if we need to do too much else player wise, except for maybe a player at the bottom end of the Top 25.

If the NRL had just excluded us from the Finals, it would have given the club time to analyse the entire breach notice and pick the eyes out of it legally and mount a legal challenge. But in making the decision that if we accept the breach notice and get under the cap (something they knew would happen within days) then this would give the Parramatta players and fans hope, excitement, and anticipation to move on for the future and mount a challenge to get into the Finals. The NRL knows that making the Finals will be tough and probably won?t be achieved, but if a salary cap compliant team can do it from here, who are they to stop them playing??

However, what this particular part of the NRL decision has also done has immediately turned the fans and the general rugby league public against the club?s board and executive who want to stick around and challenge the matter. 24 hours ago there was great animosity towards the NRL, but that sentiment appears to have grown to more of acceptance by the majority of the fan base to move on. They?ve played the We Want To Help and We Want You To Be Successful card to get the fans on board with their decision and even more turn the fans and eventually the playing group against the board/executive for them to put pressure on them just bugger off.

The NRL has put the club between a rock and a hard place - You either accept the decision within 5 days and move on and start again, or you fight it and play for nothing, knowing full well that the Parra club will consider challenging this matter in court. The club going to court might have a good legal argument, but there are no guarantees in a court situation. The NRL knows full well that a court would turn the outcome into a lottery and the NRL knows they need to nip it in the bud before it even gets started.

For an NRL Club, the Team and it?s fans are the most important part of it and at the end of the day, the Team will always win over the Administration from a fans point of view. The NRL knows that the Team and the fans will dictate to the club that it wants it?s chance to continue the season immediately.

As I said at the start, it is just my theory, but I think it?s close to the mark. You have to admire the NRL?s strategic nous on this one, they really outsmarted the club and will ultimately get what they want in the end.

I think your theory isn't far from what is happening.

It's genius on the NRL's end, the NRL will get what they want, it will not get taken any further, their ass is covered and the 5 are kicked to the curb.

But after all that, will we ever know what the findings truly are?

What have they found, honestly? It's preliminary findings, Greenberg will say till his blue in the face that they have found "breaches" why doesn't he elaborate? He never will because no one will ever ask the question and he will never need to answer.

Chipmunk

Coach

Because I'd imagine that the NRL has determined that all TPAs we've had since 2013 are to be included in our salary cap.

Dibs

Bench
Gurr didn't get the gig last time because he wasn't best mates with a board member.

Hope he is in the running this time.

It's funny how last time I was prepared to believe due process was used in selecting the CEO, now I think you might be right and they needed someone who was going to go along with their rorting ways

strider

Post Whore
Audio recordings of Parramatta board meetings are at the centre of findings by NRL investigators that have crippled the Eels' season and, in an unprecedented move, left three board members and two club officials facing expulsion from the game.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...p-findings-20160503-gol82i.html#ixzz47gjpjTDp
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

If this massively hot smoking gun exists, then why did it take so long and 700,000 documents to sort it out

I dont think its as clear cut as its being made out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts