What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFR33K

Coach
Does anyone remember what happend after Dogs and storm lost points?

They won the comp soon after:D

If we cheated to get a good squad together that will be strong including a title and in the finals for years to come at the sacrifice of one year then there its worth the sacrifice.

We won't win the comp. the place is cursed....

^b0ss^

Juniors
So office of gaming and whatever and Police have started an investigation into the invoicing stuff.

FMD anyone happy about those clowns delaying the inevitable in court are dumber than the dumbest Souths supporter.

Their job, obligation and whole purpose is governance. If they have done what is alleged (I highly doubt the NRL would allege it without proof), they have abused the trust members put in them and should have pissed off on the spot.

totally agree.

Chipmunk

Coach
Ok, well I have now had some time to sit back, relax and look at things from a less emotional perspective and have concluded that yesterday the NRL made its greatest strategic move in its entire history. Here are my thoughts or theory on why I believe this to be so.

The NRL is unhappy with the current regime and the way they have operated the club, they've made no secret of this fact, so it was important to remove these people from the club. The NRL has got Parra for doing some dodgy things in relation to the salary cap, I've got no doubt about that, but what is the extent of this 'dodgy' behaviour?

Is it 25 fake invoices of just one?
Is it a cash payment to everyone in the top 25 of is it just Lee Mossop?
Have we procured Third Party Agreements for every player or is it just a Watmough and maybe one other?

At this stage, we don't really know and for the NRL's purpose of the offence of breaching the salary cap we really only have to have done it once to really be guilty of an offence. So the NRL uses it’s public statement to send a powerful message to the club. No one outside of the board really knows exactly the extent of the breach and even the board doesn’t probably know at this stage the strength of any evidence the NRL has actually got when they determined that breach. The board probably believes that the NRL hard evidence is bugger all, but they’ve still got something and really wants this evidence tested in a real court.

For whatever reason, as part of it's investigation the NRL makes a determination that all our TPA's are dodgy and not at arms length or whatever and they have to be now included in our salary cap. This is a key determination in all of this, as from what I understand, this particular determination is unprecedented at this level. The NRL had to know that this was a risky determination to make, as it is probably the only real reason that we now find ourselves over the cap for the 2016 season. It was risky because the NRL probably knows that if the club wanted to challenge this that there is a risk that the NRL could lose this aspect of the breach in court. My guess is that although the NRL is confident in their findings and with their evidence, they don’t really want to have this evidence tested in a court (for a multitude of reasons).

So the NRL sends the club a breach notice with a penalty that involves all our points so far, a pointless fine, which for an organisation that probably churns through the fine amount in the pokies every week, isn't going to lose much sleep over, but then also requests the removal of our current regime (key board/executive).

When they delivered the breach notice they informed the club that they can play for points once it is salary cap compliant, but this is also contingent on accepting the terms of the breach notice (accepting guilt, paying the fine, board/executive leave and getting under the cap). Now my guess here is that the NRL knew that we would become salary cap compliant before our next match before yesterday, as they were fully aware of the Watmough situation and they knew that Ryan Morgan had just departed the club last week, already freeing up some of that $570l. I'd be shocked if we need to do too much else player wise, except for maybe a player at the bottom end of the Top 25.

If the NRL had just excluded us from the Finals, it would have given the club time to analyse the entire breach notice and pick the eyes out of it legally and mount a legal challenge. But in making the decision that if we accept the breach notice and get under the cap (something they knew would happen within days) then this would give the Parramatta players and fans hope, excitement, and anticipation to move on for the future and mount a challenge to get into the Finals. The NRL knows that making the Finals will be tough and probably won’t be achieved, but if a salary cap compliant team can do it from here, who are they to stop them playing??

However, what this particular part of the NRL decision has also done has immediately turned the fans and the general rugby league public against the club’s board and executive who want to stick around and challenge the matter. 24 hours ago there was great animosity towards the NRL, but that sentiment appears to have grown to more of acceptance by the majority of the fan base to move on. They’ve played the We Want To Help and We Want You To Be Successful card to get the fans on board with their decision and even more turn the fans and eventually the playing group against the board/executive for them to put pressure on them just bugger off.

The NRL has put the club between a rock and a hard place - You either accept the decision within 5 days and move on and start again, or you fight it and play for nothing, knowing full well that the Parra club will consider challenging this matter in court. The club going to court might have a good legal argument, but there are no guarantees in a court situation. The NRL knows full well that a court would turn the outcome into a lottery and the NRL knows they need to nip it in the bud before it even gets started.

For an NRL Club, the Team and it’s fans are the most important part of it and at the end of the day, the Team will always win over the Administration from a fans point of view. The NRL knows that the Team and the fans will dictate to the club that it wants it’s chance to continue the season immediately.

As I said at the start, it is just my theory, but I think it’s close to the mark. You have to admire the NRL’s strategic nous on this one, they really outsmarted the club and will ultimately get what they want in the end.

Last edited:

Dibs

Bench
welcome to the board sterlo,kenny,pricie they cant do worse and they wont cheat:p

2 of them can stay away. Sterlo isn't interested. He said tonight in his show he knows nothing about balance sheets but if the need help with being a half he is happy to help. He then recommended a Bernie Gert (sp) for the CEO role. Apparently he was close to getting the job last time

Avenger

Immortal
They need to stand down immediately. End of story. Any other appeals, legalities etc can be sorted later. However they need to stand down now.

IFR33K

Coach
So office of gaming and whatever and Police have started an investigation into the invoicing stuff.

FMD anyone happy about those clowns delaying the inevitable in court are dumber than the dumbest Souths supporter.

Their job, obligation and whole purpose is governance. If they have done what is alleged (I highly doubt the NRL would allege it without proof), they have abused the trust members put in them and should have pissed off on the spot.

Agreed 100%. But I'd really love to see what role the player managers have played in all this. They would of been heavily involved and let's see what's said or done about it.

IFR33K

Coach
They need to stand down immediately. End of story. Any other appeals, legalities etc can be sorted later. However they need to stand down now.

That's right. We don't need those five at the helm, to appeal any punishment or sort out our issues. The club has been penalised not them!!!

2 of them can stay away. Sterlo isn't interested. He said tonight in his show he knows nothing about balance sheets but if the need help with being a half he is happy to help.

sad that he didn't offer to help out as a temporary official until new board could be appointed but its his choice

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Do I think it is easy, f**k no. If you aren't doing anything wrong though and communicate effectively to the people you report to, i.e the voting members and the NRL then you are heading in the right direction. We have a good coach now, we just need the administrative side to catch up and support him!

The thing is, the voting members don't want to hear words like 'governance' or 'compliance' or how it will take years to rebuild. They want to hear about scapegoats and instant fixes. And you aren't offering those things there are some very influential people offering them, and your rational, methodical process is blown out of the water before it even gets started. Pretty soon you're signing big names and making big promises to placate the masses.

Or you'll get voted out the first chance you get. Don't you watch politics? Being in opposition has never been easier.

ash411

Bench
The whole injunction is bullshit.

It's all about them trying to hang on as long as possible.

The reason the NRL cancelled the meeting is because they don't want to deal with them. And they don't have to. They issued the breach notice to the club. It's up to the club to get the team back under the cap, that doesn't mean the GO5, in the eyes of the NRL, they no longer represent the Parramatta Eels.

If that is how the NRL wants it, fine. If anyone else from the club approaches them for help to find a solution, It sounds to me like the NRL are more than willing to help us out, as long as it is anyone but the GO5. That's what we need to do.

They just need to go, I don't care even if they're innocent. If they can clear their names great, but they can do that on their own time. We need them to go, so we can start working with the NRL to fix this.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If a new incoming board comes in and is forced to offload a number of players that are part of the current team and the team performs poorly and ends up at the bottom of the ladder again, how long do you really think that the voting members and the other factions will really give those people?

Exactly. Your only recourse would be to blame the previous guys, and the circle of life continues...

IFR33K

Coach
The only positive is that any new board won't have the problem of paying players while they play at other clubs. Also the club won't have a bunch of nuffies ( fingers crossed ) on its roster. Will also have the luxury of a competent coach.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Yep, they should of f**ked off yesterday, we cannot accrue points while these clowns are still there. And after what has been alleged the hide of them to think they can keep their positions. It's mind boggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.