What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

strider

Post Whore
Because I'd imagine that the NRL has determined that all TPAs we've had since 2013 are to be included in our salary cap.

Yeah i think so too ... its a f**kin big call ... and they will need a f**kload of proof - if we have any legit ones then it would easily throw massive doubt over the nrl's ruling even if there have been genuine shenanigans

ash411

Bench
I think your theory isn't far from what is happening.

It's genius on the NRL's end, the NRL will get what they want, it will not get taken any further, their ass is covered and the 5 are kicked to the curb.

But after all that, will we ever know what the findings truly are?

What have they found, honestly? It's preliminary findings, Greenberg will say till his blue in the face that they have found "breaches" why doesn't he elaborate? He never will because no one will ever ask the question and he will never need to answer.

Covered for what? You guys keep sounding as if you think we didn't cheat and the NRL are blowing smoke due to some personal vendetta.

Get it through your thick heads WE CHEATED! THE BOARD CHEATED!

Getting the team back under the cap is all that matters now, the 5 are done, and should have resigned yesterday, immediately following the presser. Now that the NRL has said that they won't help us until they are gone, it's even more important that they go now.

We don't have a hope in hell of getting under the cap in time without their help. We have to comply with the terms of the breach notice if we are to have any hope at all of salvaging this season, the longer they drag this out because they can't let go twists the knife in our side that much deeper.

Stop trying to shift blame to the NRL, we should be thankful that they are even giving us a chance to play for points and make the finals this year at all.

akers

Juniors
Covered for what? You guys keep sounding as if you think we didn't cheat and the NRL are blowing smoke due to some personal vendetta.

Getting the team back under the cap is all that matters now, the 5 are done, and should have resigned yesterday, immediately following the presser. Now that the NRL has said that they won't help us until they are gone, it's even more important that they go now.

We don't have a hope in hell of getting under the cap in time without their help. We have to comply with the terms of the breach notice if we are to have any hope at all of salvaging this season, the longer they drag this out because they can't let go twists the knife in our side that much deeper.

Stop trying to shift blame to the NRL, we should be thankful that they are even giving us a chance to play for points and make the finals this year at all.

I think your response is exactly what djay is getting at..NRL will hope that we roll over and except it and they don't have to answer any questions.

strider

Post Whore
So what did the NRL determine about good old Scotty "let me do you a deal" Seward in all this?

He was CEO for much of the period we rorted ... he would have surely been involved ... has he been stamped never to be involved in the nrl again? Or did they cut him a deal?

Johnny88

Juniors
Personally I think all 5 should stand down. Rumour around is that they didn't let B.A. Go to the coaches meeting today and he wanted to be there.

ash411

Bench
Personally I think all 5 should stand down. Rumour around is that they didn't let B.A. Go to the coaches meeting today and he wanted to be there.

He should have been there, I was surprised when I found out he didn't go.

Don't the coaches vote on proposed rule changes at that meeting?

strider

Post Whore

Who didnt let him go to what meeting? ... the 5 didnt let him go somewhere? Surely BA would just go, wtf you dont matter anymore

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Parramatta Eels prepare to give up on 2016 if Anthony Watmough isn't cleared from salary cap

Parramatta are prepared to give up on this season if Anthony Watmough isn't cleared from the salary cap, with fears the Eels could set themselves back another three years if they shed their best talent to play for points from next week.

The Eels' first priority remains becoming compliant to play for points this season, but are sweating on the NRL to label Watmough's knee problems as a career-ending injury, which would see him exempt from the salary cap and wipe close to $450,000 from the $570,000 they need to shed by next Friday's game against the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

However, if the request is knocked back, the Eels are weighing up whether to bite the bullet and sacrifice their 2016 campaign in order to keep the bulk of their squad together in the hope of competing for a title next season.

Advertisement
Sticking point: The Eels' ability to offload Anthony Watmough's contract is pivotal to them getting under the salary cap.
Sticking point: The Eels' ability to offload Anthony Watmough's contract is pivotal to them getting under the salary cap. Photo: Getty Images
The release of key players could allow them to compete for points this year, however the departure of those players will all but guarantee the Eels fail to win 12 of 15 games most likely required to make the top eight.

Speculation has been rife about the immediate future of Corey Norman, Kieran Foran and Semi Radradra, however the Eels are determined to ensure they don't jeopardise their long-term future in the hope of a miracle this year, placing emphasis on retaining the star trio.

Ian Schubert, the man who refused to allow Israel Folau to become an Eel, is now tasked with the responsibility of ensuring the club becomes salary cap compliant in time to play for points next Friday.

For 18 years, Schubert was the judge and jury presiding over all player contract registrations as the NRL's salary cap auditor.

His reign came to an end in 2013, but not before making a controversial ruling that effectively gifted Folau to the 15-man game. After a failed stint in the AFL in 2012, Folau came onto the open market at late notice.

The Eels, hoping the former Maroons and Kangaroos star could provide a timely boost after earning the wooden spoon, offered him what money they had left in their salary cap for the following season as part of a back-ended deal.

Schubert refused to register it, claiming the first year of his contract had to properly reflect his market value. This despite the fact

Schubert allowed Brisbane to register Darren Lockyer, touted as a future Immortal, on a contract worth just $250,000 on the cap during his final season.

As the Eels went back and forth with Schubert in an attempt to placate him, a disillusioned Folau turned his back on rugby league and hasn't returned.

While many at Parramatta won't forgive Schubert for the ruling, he has subsequently joined the club to, ironically, sort our their salary cap mess.

Schubert has been poring over the books for more than six months, but he is now in charge of affairs after chairman Steve Sharp, CEO John Boulous, head of football Daniel Anderson, deputy chairman Tom Issa and director Peter Serrao were served with breach notices.

"The Parramatta Eels are working as a priority to ensure the club is salary cap compliant in time for next week's Round 10 game against the South Sydney Rabbitohs," the club said in a statement.

"The process is being led by former NRL salary cap auditor and club consultant, Ian Schubert, in accordance with NRL requirements.

"The club recognises that being salary cap compliant and able to accrue competition points is essential for the playing group, members and supporters, and the game of rugby league. The club is also working closely with the NRL..."

Rival clubs have been circling the Eels in the hope of bolstering their roster should they hold a fire sale in their quest for cap compliance.

The Roosters, the team with the most money still left in their coffers, made contact on Wednesday to see if any players were set to be jettisoned. However, Parramatta officials are hopeful they won't have to shed key players if the NRL will play ball on the pending retirement of Watmough.

The Eels, still $570,000 over the limit, hope the new career-ending injury insurance provision will cover the amount if head office backdates the payout to the start of this year.

The Eels, the NRL, insurers and Watmough's management have been working through the process, but a formal submission hasn't been lodged at head office as yet.

A ruling on the matter is crucial as all teams are now seven months into their annual pay cycles, meaning there is little money to be spent – or saved – in transfers at this time of year. Clubs inquired about the availability of a host of players on Wednesday, including Junior Paulo and Radradra.

Given both players are crucial to Parramatta's chances and are on relatively modest salaries this season, it's not in the club's interests to entertain a release at this time.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...-cleared-from-salary-cap-20160504-gomhn0.html

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Well he doesn't believe he has the skill set which I guess is better than some of our legends who think they do.

As much as he is a club legend, he just took the easy way out. If he really cared he would offer his services in what ever capacity the club could use.

Djay

Juniors

Ok, we cheated whatever I can accept that. IF we cheated. The NRL have said we have breached the cap, have they explained it FFS? I've posted it about 3 times already, they have yet to clearly state what the breaches are, how many breaches there are etc.

How about accepting the fact the season is over, forget it. The whole "glimmer of hope" line is a ploy. This is my opinion I am entitled to it, unless they come out and show us what the 5 have done then there innocent until proven guilty. Let this be clear, I have no agenda and don't support them personally, I love Parramatta and if the 5 are found guilty and it's laid out all in front of me in cold hard facts then by all means, f**k off and never come anywhere near the club, but that hasn't happened.

The fact the NRL is not letting us accrue points until they go is a perfect ploy, the media, the fans, the players the community are crucifying them for not immediately standing down and with every right they deserve it, there public enemy number 1. Again though I ask why? The NRL do not want this to go to court, the 5 are gonna be forced to go and rightfully so but will we ever know the true findings of the breaches?

To me it's a masterful plan, I am happy to be proven wrong. I am not clutching at straws the season is done, the whole get the house in order by next Friday is a pipe dream, just be smart, take your time and focus on assembling a playing roster for 2017 capable of challenging for the title, don't let it set us back years and years.

The blame is not being shifted to the NRL, I have watched every program since this happened yesterday, no one and no one ever will ask the heavy hitting question that need answers. I could create a list of 20 questions that involve some sort of questionable moves, statements and occurrences in the past few days, they will never ask. Everyone is painting them as the savior, yea ok fine they have send the message, but deep down they know if this was to go any further this will get ugly in a way they don't want it to.

Think outside the square a bit.

Chipmunk

Coach
Did they not cheat?

Well at this point in time the NRL has actually only issued the club with an allegation thay they have cheated the cap.

Guilt is still yet to be determined.

PS I'm certain we've done some dodgy stuff...just not to what extent yet.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The other thing to consider in Hjs theory is what would have been had watmough got pay out before yesterday. I know... Candy and nuts, but courts can be swayed with candy and nuts

That's actually a fair point. Our most recent signing was Michael Jennings, quite late in the pre-season. If we signed him (and others) in anticipation of losing Watmough to retirement then have we even tried to rort the cap?

strider

Post Whore
It will be interesting to see how this watmough things pans out ... i agree it is pointless for us to shed other players who have actively contributed tthis season on the off chance we might pull off a very difficult assignment

Surely the NRL know that if we dont get the watmough money then we likely write off the season and what harm is there then in challenging the rulings?

Eelementary

Post Whore
That's actually a fair point. Our most recent signing was Michael Jennings, quite late in the pre-season. If we signed him (and others) in anticipation of losing Watmough to retirement then have we even tried to rort the cap?

I'd say that that would constitute trying to cheat, yes.

If our cap was at maximum, or close to it, and we signed players anticipating Choc's retirement (ie: before he actually did retire, and therefore, before we were no longer responsible for his pay), then that could signal an intent to break the rules.

Conversely, why did the NRL happily sign off in Jennings' deal? Suggestions were made it's because we covered everything up, but investigations cleared us of wrongdoing prior to kickoff of season 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts