What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipmunk

Coach
Exactly, Greenberg and the NRL are dead set against dealing with the GO5, No amount of court actions will help us in the short term, and it's not like they are uniquely qualified to handle it, the remaining 4 board members (with whats-his-name that we brought in) will be more than capable to handle this in the short term, and if the GO5 want to fight their de-regs they can, on their own time, separate from the club, and if they win, they are more than welcome to run for the board at the next election.

If the NRL are offering to help fix our cap issues, and if there's a chance to do so without losing any key players, we should be jumping on any opportunity to do so.

The de-registration of the GO5 isn't irrevocable. They can be de-registered, then argue the validity of it and win, and have their registrations re-instated. If doing it that way means the NRL will help us play for points next Friday, why wouldn't we do it? What do we have to lose? If the GO5 can't reverse their de-registration in court or wherever, then that means they were rightly de-registered in the first place.

The only way that we will be playing for points from next weeks match is if we fully accept that all points in the breach notice are true and correct and we accept the punishment in the breach notice. If we do this, the club and the incompetent 5 will have no recourse to challenge anything, anywhere, ever.

The NRL will make us cap compliant if this occurs (through Watmough situation). I have no doubts about that.

Chipmunk

Coach
I wonder if the NRL did us a small favour by delaying the announcement until after the Dogs game.
Effectively it gave us an extra week to get our house in order and play for points.

If they had done it when there wasn't a week off between games we would have only had 4 days to resolve the salary cap overspend.

Not that the NRL are getting any kudos from me this week.

If they had done it a week earlier then we probably wouldn't have been able to be cap compliant by the Bulldogs game (too short a timeframe to sort it out) and we would've played for no points. Essentially the same outcome has occurred either way.

Gronk

Staff member
On the ABC this morning they had vision of Serrao arriving at PLC accompanied by a body guard.

Hysteria aside, this must be a very stressful situation for all.

Djay

Juniors
Initially when the Fab Five went to the Supreme court, I was furious and thought they were being selfish arseholes.

But - there is something that keeps bugging me. How could the NRL present the board with a complex and detailed 60 page (apparently) breach notice - along with a difficult task of complying with the cap within 10 days - but then disqualify 5 of our most senior officials at the same time. Who is left to analyse, digest, investigate and respond to all the allegations?

The NRL should have informed them that they have 28 days or so at which time they will be forced to stand down. Just my thoughts.

Exactly, they have us over a barrel and they know that.

It's now a matter of if we bend over and take it or stand up and fight it which will paint the 5 as the criminals.

Nothing has been proven yet, I refuse to lie down and believe it until I'm presented with proper facts and findings.

Not completely accurate. It would appear the 5 could go and the breach notice still argued where the club believes the detail within the breach notice is inaccurate or they have alternate evidence to the contrary.
In the meantime the NRL could assist with the cap issue.

The key is the 5 going. The issues the NRL have with those 5 specifically must be pretty damning to be as staunch about them as they are.

ash411

Bench
Exactly, they have us over a barrel and they know that.

It's now a matter of if we bend over and take it or stand up and fight it which will paint the 5 as the criminals.

Nothing has been proven yet, I refuse to lie down and believe it until I'm presented with proper facts and findings.

I imagine those are in the 60 page breach notice. I haven't read it, but that's where it would be.

I admire your optimism, I really do. But I don't think the NRL would have punished us if they couldn't prove their allegations.

Chipmunk

Coach
Not completely accurate. It would appear the 5 could go and the breach notice still argued where the club believes the detail within the breach notice is inaccurate or they have alternate evidence to the contrary.
In the meantime the NRL could assist with the cap issue.

The key is the 5 going. The issues the NRL have with those 5 specifically must be pretty damning to be as staunch about them as they are.

Yes, the 5 could go immediately.
Yes, the club (of what is left anyway) could still disagree with the breech notice.

But if the club disagrees with the breach notice then the NRL will not assist them with the salary cap issue, (essentially Watmough off the books) so the club will not play for points until there is no disagreement with the breach notice, the club accepts the punishment in full and the team is under the salary cap.

The issuing of Preliminary Findings and allowing the club to respond is all about procedural fairness, but if the club dissents then forget about playing for points. The NRL essentially has played a strong strategic move.

Last edited:

84 Baby

Referee
Yes, the 5 could go immediately.
Yes, the club (of what is left anyway) could still disagree with the breech notice.

But if the club disagrees with the breach notice then the NRL will not assist them with the salary cap issue, (essentially Watmough off the books) so the club will not play for points until there is no disagreement with the breach notice, the club accepts the punishment in full and the team is under the salary cap.

The issuing of Preliminary Findings and allowing the club to respond is all about procedural fairness, but if the club dissents then forget about playing for points. The NRL essentially has played a strong strategic move.

#proceduralfairness

We'll give you opportunity to respond... only if that response is we accept

Oscarman

Juniors
Yes, this is what I've been saying for 2 days. By all means accept the findings with respect to which we are guilty immediately. But at least read the breach notice carefully and if there are cases where we think the NRL has got it wrong we respond appropriately. It doesn't excuse any 'illegal' behaviour that did happen, but it potentially reduces the extent to which we were/are over the cap, and the extent to which we would need to re-organise to get under this year's cap.

This is a great post. Say for example somewhere around half of the findings are legitimate - accept them and negotiate the penalty to 6 points and $500,000 then take the NRL on for the rest. Get cap compliant by next Friday - we are still on 6 points and all of a sudden things are a lot easier while the rest of the findings are dealt with.

I think it would also be better if Sharp etc resign as this makes the NRL a lot easier to deal with.

Gronk

Staff member
Warren Smith ‏@WarrenSmithFOX 3h3 hours ago
After many dumb decisions by Eels admin, more and more the smart call now would seem to be sacrifice 2016, focus on 2017 and beyond. #NRL

strider

Post Whore
I want to see facts too .... I believe we probably did something wrong - but I question the scale of it

$3m over 4 years .... $2.43m over 13/14/15 (about $800k a season) + $570k 2016

it makes us the worst cheating merkins in the history of the world

Quick, swallow this medicine! Of course I can tell you what's in it...but only after you swallow. And if you don't do it straight away, I'm tipping it down the sink. And then the pain begins...

The whole thing stinks and I'm glad to see the club will fight tooth and nail.

strider

Post Whore
Whilst true in principal, Greenburg did make it clear publicily that he (the NRL) would help us get under the cap by next weeks game as much as they are able. Surely that would mean an open dialogue about how much we needed to find and what they will accept as a solution.

The only challenge is making sure they open the door to such a meeting and it seems that the legal case is a blocker to that occurring.

They blocked it on a technicality - thye hadn't received the paperwork of the injuction yesterday

they are perfectly within their rights - but they are clearly playing their own game of cat n mouse

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I want to see facts too .... I believe we probably did something wrong - but I question the scale of it

$3m over 4 years .... $2.43m over 13/14/15 (about $800k a season) + $570k 2016

it makes us the worst cheating merkins in the history of the world

Yep!!! And still players complaining they weren't paid!!

Djay

Juniors
I imagine those are in the 60 page breach notice. I haven't read it, but that's where it would be.

I admire your optimism, I really do. But I don't think the NRL would have punished us if they couldn't prove their allegations.

Don't get me wrong, there is wrong doing without a shadow of a doubt. 100%

The magnitude of what we have done to me is questionable. The NRL had to punish us severely, the media forced there hand, if Greenberg didn't crucify us he would be getting crucified.

We fight this and take it further and it then becomes a situation the NRL did not want, the restrictions they have placed on the club to not accrue points is to turn fans against the 5. Hence the uproar from fans for them to piss off.

It incriminates the 5, turns the fans and the whole community against them, without any true facts revealed, the team can't play for points and we are not cap compliant.

I don't wanna sound like a broken record so it's the last time I'll say it, they step down today, by tonight we will be cap compliant by tonight.

If the facts are revealed and they have done what the "preliminaries findings" have said to had discovered I will crawl back into the hole I came out of.

They want us to lie down and accept what is being alleged, the last thing the NRL want is courts getting involved. Hence Greenberg being all high and mighty like he has been the whole time and saying "think very carefully before your next move Parramatta" it's all scare tactics that many have bought into.

Chipmunk

Coach
They blocked it on a technicality - thye hadn't received the paperwork of the injuction yesterday

they are perfectly within their rights - but they are clearly playing their own game of cat n mouse

This is all one big game of cat n mouse

strider

Post Whore
Whilst true in principal, Greenburg did make it clear publicily that he (the NRL) would help us get under the cap by next weeks game as much as they are able. Surely that would mean an open dialogue about how much we needed to find and what they will accept as a solution.

The only challenge is making sure they open the door to such a meeting and it seems that the legal case is a blocker to that occurring.

Seriously - Greenburg is running his own PR campaign on the back of this ..... I'm not saying he's a baddy, but this is his strength that has got him to where he is today - he knows what to say and how to present it

if we have a court injuction saying the dirty merkin admin can carry on for a period then he/the nrl are obliged to recognise it

84 Baby

Referee
This is a great post. Say for example somewhere around half of the findings are legitimate - accept them and negotiate the penalty to 6 points and $500,000 then take the NRL on for the rest. Get cap compliant by next Friday - we are still on 6 points and all of a sudden things are a lot easier while the rest of the findings are dealt with.

I think it would also be better if Sharp etc resign as this makes the NRL a lot easier to deal with.

Yeah whilst we don't know the terms of the breach notice this seems like the most reasonable avenue and it's conducted under the NRL's own rules. But then it seems completely weird and flying in their own face if part of their penalty in the breach notice means they won't even confer with the club until we agree with the breach notice.

That's the infuriating part for mine on the NRL side, why won't they acknowledge the GO5? If it's because they have that much incrimination against them, why not just come out and say so? Their biggest ally in removing the GO5 are the members. Convince the members that there is no way the NRL can cooperate with those 5 between now and next week and they'll be gone by close of business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts