What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipmunk

Coach
I want to see facts too .... I believe we probably did something wrong - but I question the scale of it

$3m over 4 years .... $2.43m over 13/14/15 (about $800k a season) + $570k 2016

it makes us the worst cheating merkins in the history of the world

Well it's easy to be over the salary cap by $3million in the last 4 years when they determine that all your third party agreements have to be included under the salary cap.

The club was not at any stage $3 million over the last 4 years until the NRL made this determination, probably only in the last week.

IFR33K

Coach
Seriously - Greenburg is running his own PR campaign on the back of this ..... I'm not saying he's a baddy, but this is his strength that has got him to where he is today - he knows what to say and how to present it

if we have a court injuction saying the dirty merkin admin can carry on for a period then he/the nrl are obliged to recognise it

X2. Greenberg seems like his running his own race now.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
That's the infuriating part for mine on the NRL side, why won't they acknowledge the GO5? If it's because they have that much incrimination against them, why not just come out and say so? Their biggest ally in removing the GO5 are the members. Convince the members that there is no way the NRL can cooperate with those 5 between now and next week and they'll be gone by close of business

So true, other crap has been leaked why not leak more. Something doesn't seem right.

Chipmunk

Coach
I imagine those are in the 60 page breach notice. I haven't read it, but that's where it would be.

I admire your optimism, I really do. But I don't think the NRL would have punished us if they couldn't prove their allegations.

Police and other law enforcement agencies all over the country every day of the week provide briefs of evidence to courts that they believe will prove their allegations. The courts don't always agree with the sentiments of the prosecution though.

Gronk

Staff member
Why sacrifice 2016, when the season is still alive? :crazy:

What a stupid f**ken comment from Smith!! Yeah why bother even when we still can play for points. Merkin!!

I agree with you both, provided that any shedding of players to play in 2016 does not diminish the 2017 roster and leave us with paying players with other teams for years to come.

I did say that working with the NRL is a good idea if we can keep our core, key players did I not?

If they came to the meeting and said "right, you have to lose Foran and Semi". I would say, "No Thanks". and leave the meeting right there.

The possible chance at a finals birth in 2016 is not worth the genuine chance we have at the premiership in 2017.

Yeh, I was emphasising the 'if' in your OP.

forward pass

Coach
They could have done that, but we will play for no points until we admit guilt and accept all the terms of the breach notice (and become salary cap compliant)...

It's about strategy to get it all over and done with and move on...

I get that - I am just saying the NRL should have allowed us to digest the breach notice with our full staff so that we can address the issues. If the 5 left straight away who would be left to handle the biggest issue in the clubs history - skeleton staff and casuals?

Lethal

Juniors
Actually I think 2 ways in which we will get under the cap is laughable in that they probably shouldn't have been issues.

So you are saying we can get under the cap relatively easily? That super grass merkin on triple M has Corey playing for Penrith next week. :crazy:

Avenger

Immortal
Are we that childish that we have to call the CEO of the NRL, Greenberg? Shits me everytime I read it. Grow up !!

Last edited:

emjaycee

Coach
So you are saying we can get under the cap relatively easily? That super grass merkin on triple M has Corey playing for Penrith next week. :crazy:

My bad... the 2 ways I am referring to don't get us totally under the cap, but they contribute significantly and they are laughable.

ash411

Bench
I get that - I am just saying the NRL should have allowed us to digest the breach notice with our full staff so that we can address the issues. If the 5 left straight away who would be left to handle the biggest issue in the clubs history - skeleton staff and casuals?

I have the feeling that the de-registration of the 5 was born somewhat from frustration.

They were given the opportunity time and again to come clean, and they refused to do so, time and again.

If they had just come clean last year when they were supposed to, we may not be in this situation now, and they may not have been de-registered.

I think that is the main reason why Greenberg seems so pissed at them.

Avenger

Immortal
If the NRL are adamant that the 5 named must go due to alleged recordings of meetings which demonstrates impropriety is dangerous and they better be careful. Those recordings may be unlawfully obtained making them inadmissible. Their smoking gun could turn into a water pistol.

ash411

Bench
If the NRL are adamant that the 5'nomknaged must go due to alleged recordings they better be careful. Those recordings may be unlawfully obtained making them inadmissible. Their smoking gun could turn into a water pistol.

Or, the recordings are that damning that it implicates them in something much worse, i.e. legally worse, and if they push the point, that will come out.

Equally as likely as "the NRL are making stuff up" theory.

Avenger

Immortal
Or, the recordings are that damning that it implicates them in something much worse, i.e. legally worse, and if they push the point, that will come out.

Equally as likely as "the NRL are making stuff up" theory.

They need to give them a copy or a transcript of what was allegedly said. They cannot keep it from them. There must be full disclosure even in civil matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.