What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipmunk

Coach
Can't remember where I read it.

Even a more realistic, $350-400k, his money will go to Norman

Which would mean

Paulo's $180k (corrected) + Peat's $350k + Gordon's $200k =$730k would make up most of Norman's pay but won't hit the $800k that he is asking on top of asking him to take a pay cut this year.

We're surely not considering paying Norman $730k per season more than what we're paying him this year? That would make him on more than Foran.

yy_cheng

Coach
We're surely not considering paying Norman $730k per season more than what we're paying him this year? That would make him on more than Foran.
OOps, yep, you are right.

So Norman's $500k - $70k (to top him back up to $800k) means $430k remaining.

That could mean Peats @ $450k and ditching IDG (say $180k), leaving $200k for a prop.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
One way this might go is

1. Gutho
2. French

6. Norman

9. IDG

Watmough's money goes to Jennings

Paulo's $170k + Peat's $500k + Gordon's $200k would make up Norman's pay.

The rest will be used to sign a prop.

Jennings was already signed pre Watmough retiring. We don't need his money for Jennings.

Paulo / peats are not signed for next year, so you can't assume that frees up any cap space.

But the NRL hasn't guaranteed that we'll even keep any points that we accrue. In fact, I think they've implied the opposite. Especially if the five don't go quietly.

On what grounds would they be taking any more points? I think the 5 were granted 28 days to help us respond to the provisional findings, and I believe that is still the case. The implied threat was early on, but I think they realise it was not on.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Interesting to see what happens to the squad next season. You'd suggest Melbourne will just retain Morgan next year and Watmough's full salary will be off the books. Obviously Junior's money is spare too. How much does this give us to spend next year?

Don't assume everyone contracted for next year is on the same as their contract value for this year. It's likely that at least Jennings and Gutherson will be on a lot more. Plus Alvaro and French are probably both moving into the top 25 for next year. How many of our other contracts are back ended? I'd say plenty. It seems to be standard practice.

Chipmunk

Coach
Don't assume everyone contracted for next year is on the same as their contract value for this year. It's likely that at least Jennings and Gutherson will be on a lot more. Plus Alvaro and French are probably both moving into the top 25 for next year. How many of our other contracts are back ended? I'd say plenty. It seems to be standard practice.

Fair call.

84 Baby

Referee
Watmough $900k
Peats $500k
Morgan $200k

Release all 3 midway through the season and you only save half those contracts. Which based on my made up figures is $800k saving.

They need to be replaced in the salary cap by guys on minimum wage at the very least, which is $80k. It's halfway through the year so you only have to pay $40k. That's $120k back onto the cap.

That's assuming full salaries are taken by new clubs. You may be saving less if you have to supplement the wage at the new club.

Those are just figures for an example
You didn't get my point. If we have already paid Watmough more than minimum wage for the year then why does he drop out of our top 25 which is based on your annual total payments to all players? Same with Morgan (although reportedly on $140k, so he's only received $70k, in which case missed opportunity unless Scum want to do us a solid, it's the least they could do really).

Found it

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...0000-for-departed-players-20140717-zu4q4.html

As a result of bogus recruitment and retention decisions and back-ending of contracts, the Eels have only 21 players in their top-25 NRL roster and have no room to move under the $6.3 million salary cap.

The depth of the problem is outlined by the fact they are paying upwards of $750,000 this season to eight players ? Reni Maitua (Canterbury), Jacob Loko (Canterbury) Daniel Harrison (Manly), Jordan Latham (Manly), Cheyse Blair (Manly), Jake Mullaney (Salford), Matt Ryan (Wakefield Trinity) and Brayden Wiliame (Newcastle) ? who have left Parramatta.

I can't find any indication on NRL's salary cap page further on this issue but lends credence to the fact players don't need to be at club to be in top 25.

And this is clearly where our current dramas started

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Watmough $900k
Peats $500k
Morgan $200k

Release all 3 midway through the season and you only save half those contracts. Which based on my made up figures is $800k saving.

They need to be replaced in the salary cap by guys on minimum wage at the very least

Not true. As Abacus reminded us earlier, if the payout for a player you let go is higher than the 26th highest paid player remaining at the club then he remains in your top 25. There is no need to replace him.

84 Baby

Referee
I don't think Guff or Alvaro will be on significantly backenders. As you would say market demand was in our favour. French may be but again probably not restrictively so (plus he may move into top 17 anyway). But Jennings... yeah...

84 Baby

Referee
Do forget the cap increases next year and we are apparently 200 under the cap this year anyway
I think I read somewhere that NRL were trying to get rid of them, but we may also have players who are on "% of cap" contracts rather than fixed dollar, or at least have clauses that give them upgrade if cap goes up

so NRL is now playing hardball because of pressure from other clubs, those clubs should be busy looking over the shoulder because Katie is coming to get them...

yy_cheng

Coach
Jennings was already signed pre Watmough retiring. We don't need his money for Jennings.

Paulo / peats are not signed for next year, so you can't assume that frees up any cap space.
My understanding is that the CHooks are paying alot of Jennings for this year. He left mid-contract. So next year, he would be full freight

yy_cheng

Coach
He asked for a release from Easts so they're not paying an iota of Jennings' contract.

With Parramatta desperate for a strike centre after parting with Will Hopoate ? and the Roosters prepared to kick in some of Jennings' freight ? the move was a win for all parties.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-departure-20160127-gmf3zb.html#ixzz48DAdJVRo
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...shock-roosters-departure-20160127-gmf3zb.html

However, the general public would not really know.

Status
Not open for further replies.