What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn

First Grade
Back to Souths? Wiuld they have enough for him?

What clubs have cap space and need a hooker?

Considering they couldn't afford to match the offer from Parramatta, even taking into account the portion already paid I doubt it.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If we have to lose a top liner that will hurt us in 2017 and beyond we should just nuke this season, it's a fools hope anyway the NRL has no intentions of letting us playing finals football they just want to give us dopey fans hope so the crowds and ratings don't drop too much.

Djay

Juniors
He did say Semi was on his way out last week.

Letting go of Peats would be ridiculous.

Gronk

Staff member
No way would I let Peats go, it will end tears if we push him out!!

It will be the player's decision. He would have to be happy with 2017 onwards terms anyway. Facts are that Peats would probably be worth more than we can offer in 2017 anyway.

It's tough stuff but not exactly "voluntary redundancy" where he ends up unemployed. He'll get paid this year and prolly get a bumped contract for next.

He's a professional footballer in the end. Deal. Things like this happen in other codes all around the world every day.

mxlegend99

Referee
Imma keep bumping this post until someone shows me, that if they only take half off Watmough's salary, how then he doesn't remain a top 25 player for this season and therefore we don't need to replace him
Watmough $900k
Peats $500k
Morgan $200k

Release all 3 midway through the season and you only save half those contracts. Which based on my made up figures is $800k saving.

They need to be replaced in the salary cap by guys on minimum wage at the very least, which is $80k. It's halfway through the year so you only have to pay $40k. That's $120k back onto the cap.

That's assuming full salaries are taken by new clubs. You may be saving less if you have to supplement the wage at the new club.

Those are just figures for an example

I gather from a report i saw this morning that it still comes down to how far the NRL backdate Watmough's retirement if we lose another player or not, again it could be the media telling half a story.

phantom eel

First Grade
Good point 84.

If we release a player having paid them half of their (large) salary, then surely they remain in our top 25 for cap purposes. In the same way merkins we've released to other clubs have remained in our top 25/cap in the past.

If we have to call on a non top 25 player to fill their position in first grade then we might run into trouble with our secondary cap over the course of a season... maybe Watmough is different because he's a cap-exempt retirement - but I don't think we have to budget proportions of $80K for someone to replace Morgs, or anyone else we might release to another club and have still paid more than 80K already?

Gronk

Staff member
I gather from a report i saw this morning that it still comes down to how far the NRL backdate Watmough's retirement if we lose another player or not, again it could be the media telling half a story.

After all this is over, we need to publicly call the NRL on their leaks. How can the media know 2 hrs after Shuey walks out of his meeting that we need to shed another player ?

Chipmunk

Coach
I'm guessing that if we wanted to actually re-sign a player (i.e. Peats or Norman) and reconstruct their contract so they were paid less this season, but more in the following seasons, that at this present time we wouldn't actually have any one in the club with any authority to enter into this contract???

oldmancraigy

Coach
The half relates to the discount we get, because being halfway through the contract year we have already paid half of the contract to whomever we shed.

If Jnr's on 180K, we've already paid him 90k, that can't just disappear. Similarly, who ever replaces him if on minimum wage of 80k, then it's only 40k because we are only contracting them for half of the contract year.

The breach is for an estimate of our full year expenditure as the NRL rules it to be. The flipside is of course that we are 570k over for the whole year, which means we need to shed 1,140,000 worth of players based upon a full years contract in order to be able to reduce our payments over the half year by that 570k.

So Watmough at say 800k, Super Morgs at say 170k, gives us 970k on a full year basis, leaving us needing to shed another 270k worth of contracted players on a full years basis.

I understand what you are saying but it makes 0 sense to do it thar way.

If we rrlease Morgan, and the Storm pick him up, does his salary now count on a full year basis as to determining whether they are over the cap?

No. Of course not.

So why is a different calculation used for the same situation?
If the penalty for being 570k over is to operate this season at 570k below, then so be it. But at least say that instead of having varied ways of calculating crap....

El Diablo

Post Whore
just write 2016 off ffs

no use wrecking 2017 just so we can try and do the impossible this year

phantom eel

First Grade
Or failing that, why don't we just let Mannah (injured anyway) sit out the rest of the season on unpaid long service leave, and then make it up to him in salary when he returns in Junior's place in 2017? :sarcasm:

oldmancraigy

Coach
Or failing that, why don't we just let Mannah (injured anyway) sit out the rest of the season on unpaid long service leave, and then make it up to him in salary when he returns in Junior's place in 2017? :sarcasm:

Thats cheating bart, and we dont cheat.

Oh wait.

phantom eel

First Grade
I'm guessing that if we wanted to actually re-sign a player (i.e. Peats or Norman) and reconstruct their contract so they were paid less this season, but more in the following seasons, that at this present time we wouldn't actually have any one in the club with any authority to enter into this contract???
We have four directors (above the minimum specified in constitution), a leagues club ceo, and Schubert/Arthur. That should be plenty.

emjaycee

Coach
I reckon Peats is gone despite the furore this will cause on social media.
With the re-signing of Pritchard and the signing of King for this year, I don't think Peats is in BA's long term plans anyway.

Just a hunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.