What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipmunk

Coach
I reckon Peats is gone despite the furore this will cause on social media.
With the re-signing of Pritchard and the signing of King for this year, I don't think Peats is in BA's long term plans anyway.

Just a hunch.

Who would want Peats for 2016 though that would pay a significant amount of his contract for 2016???

Schubert's attitude was not the sort I'd expect from a person who plans to shaft one of our players in the next couple of days. My guess is we won't lose anyone.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I understand what you are saying but it makes 0 sense to do it thar way.

If we rrlease Morgan, and the Storm pick him up, does his salary now count on a full year basis as to determining whether they are over the cap?

No. Of course not.

So why is a different calculation used for the same situation?
If the penalty for being 570k over is to operate this season at 570k below, then so be it. But at least say that instead of having varied ways of calculating crap....

Ok if we are $570k over the cap, we have already been deducted a 12 point penalty for playing when we were over the cap.

So as the season is in May, and contracts commence in November ( 6 months ago). So players have already been paid 50% of their payments.

So if the NRL want us to be cap compliant, shouldn't it mean complaint from Friday night onwards ? They are asking us to be conplaint for 6 months before they notified us.

So shouldn't we only need to reduce our cap spend by $285k ( half of $570k, as 50% of season is over), as we have already been penalised for the period from before this Friday ?

Gronk

Staff member
Schubert's attitude was not the sort I'd expect from a person who plans to shaft one of our players in the next couple of days. My guess is we won't lose anyone.

To be fair, "shaft" is not really the correct description.

Like Jnr, Peats was probably going to play for a new club next year anyway.

We could release a player for the remainder of this season and sign them for 2017.
Say in the case of Peats we could release him to say the Titans for the rest of 2016 but sign him for 2017+, helps us this year and he knows then we still want him going forward.
He would feel like he is taking one for the team.

Chipmunk

Coach
Ok if we are $570k over the cap, we have already been deducted a 12 point penalty for playing when we were over the cap.

So as the season is in May, and contracts commence in November ( 6 months ago). So players have already been paid 50% of their payments.

So if the NRL want us to be cap compliant, shouldn't it mean complaint from Friday night onwards ? They are asking us to be conplaint for 6 months before they notified us.

So shouldn't we only need to reduce our cap spend by $285k ( half of $570k, as 50% of season is over), as we have already been penalised for the period from before this Friday ?

I'd suggest that this is what Schubert argued, but because the club has not provided it's response to the breach notice, then the NRL will not consider this and will not until after 3 June.

yy_cheng

Coach
I think it also needs to be stressed that Schubert is the only person that has been quoted in all of these articles that speculate that we need to move another player along and none of his comments give me any reason to suggest that we are releasing a player unless this release was well under way anyway.

I think the media has been doing their own calculations for the sake of writing an article and they're all probably basing their information on the first person that came up with the reasoning that we need to get rid of another player.

Schubert saying "throw some numbers up in the air and see what happens." doesn't really indicate to me that he believes we need to offload any players.

We don't even have 3/4 of our spine signed for 2017 yet.

Fullback, IDG/Peats and Norman.

And don't forget, we will probably get hit with the full freight for Jennings which will be Watmough's money.

So all this talk about keeping this team together and we are cap compliant for 2017 with the same quality of players is rubbish

yy_cheng

Coach
If Watmough retires, this potentially frees up $750k for 2017 which the club probable hadn't budgeted for. We probably need a fair chunk to sign Norman but surely we could do some creative contract negotiations to use it to our advantage.

This will cover Jennings

Chipmunk

Coach
We could release a player for the remainder of this season and sign them for 2017.
Say in the case of Peats we could release him to say the Titans for the rest of 2016 but sign him for 2017+, helps us this year and he knows then we still want him going forward.
He would feel like he is taking one for the team.

I can't see Peats choosing to leave Sydney if he doesn't have to.

yy_cheng

Coach

I agree. The throwing the numbers in the air hopefully will be renegotiating Norman's contract.

Give him the $800k next year and beyond, take a cut this year and payback next year.

Win-Win

Chipmunk

Coach
We don't even have 3/4 of our spine signed for 2017 yet.

Fullback, IDG/Peats and Norman.

And don't forget, we will probably get hit with the full freight for Jennings which will be Watmough's money.

So all this talk about keeping this team together and we are cap compliant for 2017 with the same quality of players is rubbish

We've got Gutherson and French signed up for 2017. I'd say one of them will play Fullback.

yy_cheng

Coach
We've got Gutherson and French signed up for 2017. I'd say one of them will play Fullback.

One way this might go is

1. Gutho
2. French

6. Norman

9. IDG

Watmough's money goes to Jennings

Paulo's $170k + Peat's $500k + Gordon's $200k would make up Norman's pay.

The rest will be used to sign a prop.

yy_cheng

Coach
Well that would certainly solve any salary cap issues we had...

Yep.

Loan foran to them for 1 year at $600k. We get him back next year.

Then tell Foran that he still hasnt solved his problems and takes an overseas trip in some rehab place all on Mr Politis

Chipmunk

Coach
One way this might go is

1. Gutho
2. French

6. Norman

9. IDG

Watmough's money goes to Jennings

Paulo's $170k + Peat's $500k + Gordon's $200k would make up Norman's pay.

The rest will be used to sign a prop.

Surely we're not paying Peats $500k a season???

lingard

Coach
It's a long time until 2017. And it's not as if we're guaranteed the title. I say do just about anything it takes to play for points this weekend. Even if we lose a good player, the boys'd be all like "let's do it for Morgs! Raaa!"

But the NRL hasn't guaranteed that we'll even keep any points that we accrue. In fact, I think they've implied the opposite. Especially if the five don't go quietly.

yy_cheng

Coach
Surely we're not paying Peats $500k a season???

Can't remember where I read it.

Even a more realistic, $350-400k, his money will go to Norman

Which would mean

Paulo's $180k (corrected) + Peat's $350k + Gordon's $200k =$730k would make up most of Norman's pay but won't hit the $800k that he is asking on top of asking him to take a pay cut this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.