What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels season ends sunday.

denwatts

Juniors
Our season will end Sunday.The Tigers will put 45 to 50 points against the Knights.That will leave the Broncos to beat us by more than 15 to 20 points.Not likely you reckon.Look how both the Knights and Eels are playing at the moment and both these scores are quite possible giving the referee decisions going on at the moment.Also news limited team in a news limited competition not making it the semi's..Hello.
Look at whos in the finals race.
Storm.owned by News Limited.
Manly, privately owned.
Cowboys owned by News Limited.
Warriors privately owned.
Bulldogs club owned but preceived to be a news limited lackey.
Eels,club owned but not liked in the greater scheme of things.
Rabbits,privately owned.
Broncos,News limited owned.
Tigers,merged club,liked by all concerned.

Now look at whos left out of the semis.

Titans,privately owned
Roosters,club owned
Sharks, club owned
Dragons,merged ,club owned
Raiders,club owned
Panthers,club owned
Knights,club owned.

There is a familiar theme running through this competition and you would only have to look at which teams who have got a lot of the bad decisions this season and where they are place on the ladder to see who will be in the semis.

emjaycee

Coach
denwatts said:
Our season will end Sunday.The Tigers will put 45 to 50 points against the Knights.That will leave the Broncos to beat us by more than 15 to 20 points.Not likely you reckon.Look how both the Knights and Eels are playing at the moment and both these scores are quite possible giving the referee decisions going on at the moment.Also news limited team in a news limited competition not making it the semi's..Hello.
Look at whos in the finals race.
Storm.owned by News Limited.
Manly, privately owned.
Cowboys owned by News Limited.
Warriors privately owned.
Bulldogs club owned but preceived to be a news limited lackey.
Eels,club owned but not liked in the greater scheme of things.
Rabbits,privately owned.
Broncos,News limited owned.
Tigers,merged club,liked by all concerned.

Now look at whos left out of the semis.

Titans,privately owned
Roosters,club owned
Sharks, club owned
Dragons,merged ,club owned
Raiders,club owned
Panthers,club owned
Knights,club owned.

There is a familiar theme running through this competition and you would only have to look at which teams who have got a lot of the bad decisions this season and where they are place on the ladder to see who will be in the semis.

Cowboys sold back to the club last week I seem to recall.

Suitman

Post Whore
Maybe News Limited Clubs are run more professionally then the others, hence their success??

Suity

Stagger eel

Staff member
I certainly don't think it's a reason why some clubs are more successful on the field than others but I certainly believe that private ownership is the way of the future, unfortunately for our club some members of our board have been there for about 25 to 30 years and it just appears that they are too comfortable to be thinking outside the square in terms of trying to lure big backers to our organisation.

Suitman

Post Whore
eelavation said:
I certainly don't think it's a reason why some clubs are more successful on the field than others but I certainly believe that private ownership is the way of the future, unfortunately for our club some members of our board have been there for about 25 to 30 years and it just appears that they are too comfortable to be thinking outside the square in terms of trying to lure big backers to our organisation.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

And sadly, one of those is everybody's friend.

Suity

carson

Juniors
"ok here's what we have got so far...the rand coporation, in conjunction with the saucer people under the supervision of the reverse vampires are forcing our parents to go to bed early in a fiendish plot to eliminate the meal of dinner. We're through the looking glass here people..."

eelavation said:

May I ask, and this is not an attack on anyone or a defence of anyone,

Do you think Our Club wants for anything that can be provided financially?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Suitman said:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

And sadly, one of those is everybody's friend.

Suity

tbh with you I have heard Ovo say that it would be great to have a Packer, PHaC or Delmage on your side but where do you find one??? well the simple answer is why can't they explore it on the stock exchange? why can't they put the club up for sale and see what sort of response they get???...I don't subscribe to the fact that they just need to just hand it over to some Tom, Dick or Harry for any small price and everything will be sweet, far from it, I mean with the contacts that blokes like Alan and fitzy have in the business world maybe they can bring it up with the members at the next AGM and see what they say and then go out and try and sell it..it may take years to get what we want but atleast there's a real objective out there to take the club to a new level.

I know the Pokie situation will be hurting us pretty badly come 2010 and 2011 when the club will pay up to millions in tax and they are looking at other sources of revenue through commercial real estate [Is that right MITS??] but is that enough?? will that assure our future as an NRL club??

Personally, by 2011 I see us merging with Penrith I always had that feeling and until someone sets my mind at ease that's the way i think the club is heading.

carson said:
"ok here's what we have got so far...the rand coporation, in conjunction with the saucer people under the supervision of the reverse vampires are forcing our parents to go to bed early in a fiendish plot to eliminate the meal of dinner. We're through the looking glass here people..."

Very good verbatinm recollection . . .

That's the one where all the adults keep having sex isn't it?

Anyway, I have ensured an Eels victory this weekend, by dropping $50 on the Broncos to win at $2.50 . . .

. . . and I never win bets.

Go the Eels!!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
MarkInTheStands said:
May I ask, and this is not an attack on anyone or a defence of anyone,

Do you think Our Club wants for anything that can be provided financially?

no, no club can provide anything viable to an investor but that hasn't stopped the like of Politis, Packer, PHaC, Crowe, Delmage from throwing their hard earned at their clubs..we will never know unless we explore it.

but I agree Football clubs are hardly money making machines.

eelavation said:
no, no club can provide anything viable to an investor but that hasn't stopped the like of Politis, Packer, PHaC, Crowe, Delmage from throwing their hard earned at their clubs..we will never know unless we explore it.

but I agree Football clubs are hardly money making machines.

That is not what I am asking. Do you feel that we are lacking cash for anything. Do you feel that the leagues club is currently not providing ?

From you above post I can see that you think that the pokie tax will hit hard. You are correct.

We already pay over a million in tax. This year lets just say that the Eels / Two blues combined got less than the Tax man by a factor of X2.

But we are looking at other revenue streams. It is the goal of this club to provide for the Football side. The Unfortunate part is, we can't provide the extra stuff we would like to have, like allowing the club to pay for the Grand Stands, or other extras that would make football more enjoyable. If the increase in the tax was removed, we could see the Souther Grandstand, financed or Payed off in 3 years.

Kornstar

Coach
Float them on the stock exchange and you will see results, share holders have ruined the business world by demanding ridiculous hours, effort and headcount reductions, just so they can make another couple of million.

Float the Parramatta club and our boys would soon find heart or they would be gone!! There aint no room for the crap that we have dished out over the years in a share holders universe!!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
MarkInTheStands said:
That is not what I am asking. Do you feel that we are lacking cash for anything. Do you feel that the leagues club is currently not providing ?

From you above post I can see that you think that the pokie tax will hit hard. You are correct.

We already pay over a million in tax. This year lets just say that the Eels / Two blues combined got less than the Tax man by a factor of X2.

But we are looking at other revenue streams. It is the goal of this club to provide for the Football side. The Unfortunate part is, we can't provide the extra stuff we would like to have, like allowing the club to pay for the Grand Stands, or other extras that would make football more enjoyable. If the increase in the tax was removed, we could see the Souther Grandstand, financed or Payed off in 3 years.

all I want is a viable future Mark, where the club doesn't have to soley depend on the cash cow that is the leagues clubs for it's grants, we may spend just enough to field a side and hire necessary staff but the thing that's lacking is extra money needed to market the club properly, promote game days, think outside the square in terms of merchandising and more interaction with fans outside game days.

One slight intersting note is that all of a sudden a club like Souths and Manly since privitised have become a far more attractive club to play for whether that's because of certain influence within the club or unknown forces outside the boundaries of it's guidelines "nudge, nudge wink wink" who knows??? but they've certainly become a more attractive proposition for any young footballer.

coinsidence???

Stagger eel

Staff member
MarkInTheStands said:
I think we will always rely on the Leagues club but I don't think that will mean relying on the pokies.

hope you're right...btw, what's the latest with their real estate plan that they have?

JOB 3:14

Juniors
I'm not worried about the Knights game. If we can't beat Brisbane this week, regardless of what happens in the tigers game, we are dead (in my eyes) in this comp and it won't matter whether we sneak through or not.

Nikki

Coach
Heres a question that just popped into my head.. As far as Im concerned, we have been pretenders all year. I have often questioned how we were up in the top 4 etc. I think there are a few ppl here who may also share my opinion.

My question is, If we do somehow crawl over the line and win a Premiership does it mean more or less to you as opposed to us winning it after been on fire all year?

Latest posts