What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels snare Poore and Shackleton

Kiki

First Grade
Why? It's not like the Dragons haven't taken poached talent from other clubs in recent years. Jamie Soward, Michael Weyman, Darius Boyd, Brett Morris, Luke Priddis, Jeremy Smith.... Why feel sorry for a club that opens the checkbook to sign high profile players from other clubs yet lose others as a result. You gain some, you lose some. Don't be a suck-up.

BRETT MORRIS? hahahaah wtf? his dad is a club legend and both Brett and Josh were Dragons juniors that grew up in the Gong!

Luke Priddis is coming towards the end of his career and we bought him for depth, he's hardly a big poaching.

Weyman had raw talent but had some discipline problems and he has only really come good since he came to the Dragons.

Jamie Soward wasn't wanted by the Roosters, we picked him up and helped mould him and now hes playing really well.

TheRam and Eelementary, no worries! I hope you take care of my boy J.Poore.

Kiki

First Grade
Personally I dont see how we need heart. Hindmarsh and Cayless have bucket loads. I hope we have the same idea of what "heart" is though.

sorry i didnt mean to imply you guys lacked heart now, what i meant was Justin is a great guy and will be an excellent addition to the club.

TheRam

Coach
BRETT MORRIS? hahahaah wtf? his dad is a club legend and both Brett and Josh were Dragons juniors that grew up in the Gong!

Luke Priddis is coming towards the end of his career and we bought him for depth, he's hardly a big poaching.

Weyman had raw talent but had some discipline problems and he has only really come good since he came to the Dragons.

Jamie Soward wasn't wanted by the Roosters, we picked him up and helped mould him and now hes playing really well.

TheRam and Eelementary, no worries! I hope you take care of my boy J.Poore.

We will and cheers.

cgee221

Juniors
I haven't commented on this post yet, I don't think, everytime I go to type something woosh another 20 posts have flooded in and I've lost my track of thought, however I will just say the news on Poore and Shackleton is excellent, I'm really happy for the club and as Anderson stated it will be a shot in the arm of the supporters :D

I would also like to commend some of the other teams supporters who have commented on our forum over the past couple of days. You guys have been admirable and your support to us is appreciated, particularly a different kind of rabbit & kiki, cheers :D

salvy71

Juniors
Apart from Darius Boyd and Jeremy Smith, the other players you mentioned were hardly big-name buys a the time, most were on the scrapheap. I think that what the guys are trying to say is when was the last time that Saints bought an Origin level player on the open market? I can't think of the last time tbh.

But Brett Morris, I suppose we did poach him from our Junior teams, WTF!?!

But I'm not trying to say that we don't buy players, all clubs do, its just how the game works with a salary cap.

Darius Boyd played origin last year whilst at the Broncos didn't he ?

All teams have bought big name players recently , it might be tough not to be bitter about it but we all lose players we don't want see go , that's how it goes .

Last edited:

caylo

Bench
Darius Boyd played origin last year whilst at the Broncos didn't he ?

All teams have bought big name players recently , it might be tough not to be bitter about it but we all lose players we don't want see go , that's how it goes .

It isnt about buying origin players but more about buying the right players. The sharks picked up guys like Tupou, Matuia and Barrett (all origin players) etc in the offseason and unfortunatly all they where doing was building the best backrow in the comp but with little else. They lack spark out wide (which has been evident all year) but have stayed in gamed due to their pack.

Now the dogs went out and picked up Stagg, Kimmorley, Morris, Ennis, Hannat and Eastwood. They picked up 2 origin players but added alot of spark around the ruck while picking up an experianced head in the halves to allow roberts to improve. The dogs bought smart.

Now parramatta have 3-4 classy outside back, alot of options in the halves in terms of jnrs and a half assed pack with very little in the backrow outside of Hindy and Mateo (playing 5-8). Parramatta went out and bought on of the form props in the comp and then a well performing backrower. Our pack looks much better in terms of depth and starting strength now and it allows us to bring our young halves and classy finishers into the game.

Had we picked up no origin players but 3-4 good solid forwards we would have been in a good position still, but the fact that we were able to pick up two very classy forwards is a bonus... it is all about recruiting smart and Anderson has shown more in 6 months (in terms of recruitment) than Hagen showed in 2 years.

cgee221

Juniors
It isnt about buying origin players but more about buying the right players. The sharks picked up guys like Tupou, Matuia and Barrett (all origin players) etc in the offseason and unfortunatly all they where doing was building the best backrow in the comp but with little else. They lack spark out wide (which has been evident all year) but have stayed in gamed due to their pack.

Now the dogs went out and picked up Stagg, Kimmorley, Morris, Ennis, Hannat and Eastwood. They picked up 2 origin players but added alot of spark around the ruck while picking up an experianced head in the halves to allow roberts to improve. The dogs bought smart.

Now parramatta have 3-4 classy outside back, alot of options in the halves in terms of jnrs and a half assed pack with very little in the backrow outside of Hindy and Mateo (playing 5-8). Parramatta went out and bought on of the form props in the comp and then a well performing backrower. Our pack looks much better in terms of depth and starting strength now and it allows us to bring our young halves and classy finishers into the game.

Had we picked up no origin players but 3-4 good solid forwards we would have been in a good position still, but the fact that we were able to pick up two very classy forwards is a bonus... it is all about recruiting smart and Anderson has shown more in 6 months (in terms of recruitment) than Hagen showed in 2 years.

Spot on Caylo. Agree 100%. Recruitment isn't about buying the biggest and the best, but what players will improve and complement the ones already in your squad. The Bulldogs have done that very effectively, and should be outright first.

scottyeel

Bench
Shackleton said:
Meanwhile Shackleton says leaving the Roosters, after finally cementing a starting first grade spot, was the most difficult decision of his career.
After modelling his training and preparation on club legend Craig Fitzgibbon, he is excited about going to the Eels to learn off another great backrower Nathan Hindmarsh.
"The last few years there's been a bit of a battle and bit of a rivalry (with Hindmarsh) but it will be good to strap on the boots alongside of him," he said.
"He is one the guys if you're playing against him you love to hate but I'm sure playing alongside him will be the best."
http://www.nrl.com/NewsViews/LatestNews/NewsArticle/tabid/10874/newsId/55330/Default.aspx

lingard

Coach
LOL no offense but poore isnt going to do what you think he is wiht the eels team

Maybe not Poore by himself - but Poore with Daniel Anderson`s coaching, and with the support of Hindmarsh and Shackleton and Mateo and Moi Moi; and with Hayne at the back, I think we`ve got a very promising 2010 ahead of us. And then, by all accounts, we`ll be able to buy more in 2011. It`s all good! :)

yy_cheng

Coach
The thing that Poore and the Shack would bring is the right attitude. Together with FFMM, Hindy and Meateo, the attitude would at least be there.

Then Mannah and Lats plus JoeG, the forward pack would not have that who cares attitude.

Hayne has to take control of the backs. He should be the BACKS captain and he should rally them to get their fingers out

lewiscook

Juniors
Maybe not Poore by himself - but Poore with Daniel Anderson`s coaching, and with the support of Hindmarsh and Shackleton and Mateo and Moi Moi; and with Hayne at the back, I think we`ve got a very promising 2010 ahead of us. And then, by all accounts, we`ll be able to buy more in 2011. It`s all good! :)

Your right,
What do you think Lingard? how bout we sign Darius Boyd, Ben Creagh and Jamie Soward next year. Really get up the Drags noses haha. . .
:D

Parra Pride

Referee

Mate I reckon 2010 and 2011 are going to be terrible years.

#ShiroNeko