What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels snare Poore and Shackleton

caylo

Bench
well so the two players we are after is Delany and Wing... pff keep them both, while wing is a good player he is not the sort of player parramatta needs. Delany is nothing special and we have guys like Reddy and Inu plus Richardson, Etu, Wright, Ben Smith (if his still here) as backup... I dont want him.

If we target a bargin player (i.e OMealy) im happy, dont waste money on junk.

Just to verify I dont want wing at parramatta because I think he is a very good hooker and a solid running 5-8. We have MK, Kinga and Mitchell comming throu that can play hooker plus Mortz, Kelly (if he stays), KK and Mateo in the halves.
Wing is a running 5-8 who wouldn't suit KK style (we need someone who can support KK with their kicking game etc). I think wing would be good at hooker but we have so many options atm why waste that much money on him (mind you he did play origin).

I would take wing for 150K but not much more, I think Cayless is more valuable in the forwards then what wing could bring to the team considering what we have.

Phillips

Referee
can i just say that the Dragons fans dribbling sh*t about Poore being a dud do NOT speak for all of us.

from the outside looking in it seems Parra could do with a bit of heart and trust me, Justin Poore definitely has that. as DA said, he is a great player AND a great person. it isnt all about what goes on during the game.

as a Dragons fan i am devo but i also wish him luck at the Eels and i hope he does well for you guys!

join him as an eel.

lucablight

First Grade
How it is a step backwards??? Cayless is crap, Poore is a young gun at 50K less a year. How do you think we can afford Poore and Shackelton as well as still chasing other players for next season??

Source? Haha. Lets just say the lunch I had today was very interesting. I could even tell you our new major sponsor if Pirtek dont re-sign after next year.

Big things are in the works. Fitzy leaving is the catalyst for greatness.

An Eels team with Cayless and Poore is a better team than with no Cayless at all.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Big things are happening at Parra, amazing just a day after Fitzy leaving :shock: Good times are coming my friends i can just feel it. Or maybe the 12 rumbo's i had at Indoor :crazy:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Sorry if I am not one-eyed.

Did you say One Eyed? ;-)

from the outside looking in it seems Parra could do with a bit of heart and trust me, Justin Poore definitely has that. as DA said, he is a great player AND a great person.

Personally I dont see how we need heart. Hindmarsh and Cayless have bucket loads. I hope we have the same idea of what "heart" is though.

ParraFan09

Juniors
i think chase stanley is the centre that parramatta are going after.
that would be a good signing for the eels his big strong alot of skill his versatile and still only young.

ParraFan09

Juniors
I dont agree a couple of weeks back i seen him throw a flick pass to dell who then ran to the try line from 30 metres out untouched
i personally think inu is a winger, and i can just imagine stanley/inu working together nicely.

Eelementary

Post Whore
can i just say that the Dragons fans dribbling sh*t about Poore being a dud do NOT speak for all of us.

from the outside looking in it seems Parra could do with a bit of heart and trust me, Justin Poore definitely has that. as DA said, he is a great player AND a great person. it isnt all about what goes on during the game.

as a Dragons fan i am devo but i also wish him luck at the Eels and i hope he does well for you guys!

Thanks, Kiki. I feel kind of slack for taking him from you guys - I like the Dragons and they do a magnificent job in nurturing young talent.

But at the same time I am stoked, because he's exactly what we needed.

TheRam

Coach
Thanks Kiki, you're all heart and a doll. You're way to nice to be a Saints supporter...sure you don't want to jump the fence to Parraland?

Eels Dude

Coach
Thanks, Kiki. I feel kind of slack for taking him from you guys - I like the Dragons and they do a magnificent job in nurturing young talent.

Why? It's not like the Dragons haven't taken poached talent from other clubs in recent years. Jamie Soward, Michael Weyman, Darius Boyd, Brett Morris, Luke Priddis, Jeremy Smith.... Why feel sorry for a club that opens the checkbook to sign high profile players from other clubs yet lose others as a result. You gain some, you lose some. Don't be a suck-up.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Why? It's not like the Dragons haven't taken poached talent from other clubs in recent years. Jamie Soward, Michael Weyman, Darius Boyd, Brett Morris, Luke Priddis, Jeremy Smith.... Why feel sorry for a club that opens the checkbook to sign high profile players from other clubs yet lose others as a result. You gain some, you lose some. Don't be a suck-up.

I'm not sucking up. I know how it sucks to lose a player you like to another club.

Don't get me wrong - I am stoked.

pk76

Juniors
Great news! I am now looking forward to the rest of this lacklustre season, excluding last game.

Raul_Pato

Juniors

Apart from Darius Boyd and Jeremy Smith, the other players you mentioned were hardly big-name buys a the time, most were on the scrapheap. I think that what the guys are trying to say is when was the last time that Saints bought an Origin level player on the open market? I can't think of the last time tbh.

But Brett Morris, I suppose we did poach him from our Junior teams, WTF!?!

But I'm not trying to say that we don't buy players, all clubs do, its just how the game works with a salary cap.

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach
Apart from Darius Boyd and Jeremy Smith, the other players you mentioned were hardly big-name buys a the time, most were on the scrapheap. I think that what the guys are trying to say is when was the last time that Saints bought an Origin level player on the open market? I can't think of the last time tbh.

But Brett Morris, I suppose we did poach him from our Junior teams, WTF!?!

But I'm not trying to say that we don't buy players, all clubs do, its just how the game works with a salary cap.

Boyd and Costigan were both State of Origin players
Jeremy Smith a world cup winning Kiwi International.

That's a pretty impressive group of players you bought for this season...

Last edited:

Raul_Pato

Juniors
Boyd and Costigan were both State of Origin players
Jeremy Smith a world cup winning Kiwi International.

That's a pretty impressive group of players you bought for this season...

I mentioned Boyd and Smith, but Costigan hasn't played Origin for years and was in Caberra's feeder team for parts of last season.

I'm not trying to say that we don't buy players, what I'm saying is that we never go for players at the level of Justin unless we are trying to keep them. Don't get me wrong mate, I'm not bitter about you guys poaching Justin, congrats to your club on getting their targets and improving your team.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I mentioned Boyd and Smith, but Costigan hasn't played Origin for years and was in Caberra's feeder team for parts of last season.

I'm not trying to say that we don't buy players, what I'm saying is that we never go for players at the level of Justin unless we are trying to keep them. Don't get me wrong mate, I'm not bitter about you guys poaching Justin, congrats to your club on getting their targets and improving your team.

Fair enough - Costigan did play Origin in 2007 - you bought him in 2008... it's not exactly years :D But I agree - he was struggling a little bit when you picked him up.

Boyd and Smith are good buys, but I think Costigan and Weyman were the REALLY good buys for you guys this year. They're the guys who had the ability, but probably needed a fresh start to realise it.

But yeah - thanks for Poore - I'm stoked that we've bought an Origin level forward for the first time since I can't remember when! Hopefully our recruitment for 2010 is as profitable as your 2009 drive has been!