What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Team V. Cowboys

Djay

Juniors
I hope Humble hasn't been dropped, there are countless others who should be dropped before him e.g. Morts and MK.

I can't understand how MK is in the team he is pathetic IMO.

cv8z

Juniors
I hope Humble hasn't been dropped, there are countless others who should be dropped before him e.g. Morts and MK.

I can't understand how MK is in the team he is pathetic IMO.

He's bad but I think robson is equally as bad. They both give slow service. I would have preferred KK hooker

Avenger

Immortal
I hope not.....if Morts runs out in the 7 Avenger will blow a gasket.

If Morts was to start off the bench, it would be announced 1 hour prior to kick off IMO to stop all the publicity about him being dropped

A vein is already showing in my Balkan forehead. :lol:

On a more serious note does Mortimer remind anyone of a young PJ Marsh who we all thought was our answer to our halfback woes but then became a brilliant hooker and ended up representing in that position ?

yy_cheng

Coach
Almost choked on my red wine when I first read your response until I realised that you were taking the piss :D
If Morts ever makes it as a halfback in the NRL I promise to stand in Martin Place naked.
My prediction is that he wont be resigned after next year and will disappear back to the winery after that.
Thurston will absolutely kill him on Monday and Ando will say that probably blame everyone else but the golden child.

LOL, I'm for the here not the future so to speak.

As mentioned my many other posters, we rely too much on potential of our juniors.

We just need to buy especially the 1, 6/7, 9.

Our 6/7, 9 are not up to scratch.

BTW, if you do stand naked in Martin Place, we will get to find out if you are fat head above the waist or below. :shock:

Ant

Juniors
A vein is already showing in my Balkan forehead. :lol:

On a more serious note does Mortimer remind anyone of a young PJ Marsh who we all thought was our answer to our halfback woes but then became a brilliant hooker and ended up representing in that position ?

I see where you are coming from, but I would argue that Marsh at least had a fair bit of speed, Mortz isn't tim smith slow but is not quick.

Look we do lack other options and I am generally in favour of sticking with players that are tried and tested as there is usually a reason players are in lower grades and very few players step up and become first graders. But my personal view is that Mortimer is a massive problem with our side. Our forwards make ground (we have 2 origin props on the bench), our defence is not too bad.

Our lack of finese is a serious problem. I truley believe that Mortimer is the worst halfback in the league, and I think his inability to provide effective end of set options against newcastle and the broncos cost us. We tried him at 6 initially he was poor, he have tried to let him be a more dominant player at 7 and he had been worse.

I struggle to see what he offers at the moment. His kicking game is poor, he seems to always lack time and space. His ball playing is equally poor. His running game can be a strength, but only when used seldomly. He is over playing his hand. Because he is trying to be the main playmaker the best part of his game support is non existent.

The simple fact is the player with the best kicking game inside the opposition 20m is Robson, he should be halfback. Reddy scored a number of times last year off robson bombs. Robson is no long term answer, we must find another halfback, but for this year with the options available he is the best man for the job.

Other options, well I have spoken about Mortimer, he either moves back to six, on the bench or lower grades.

KK, he is a mainly and indiividual, he makes plays for himself and can be good to follow. He is a 6 or 9 or bench 9 in this side.

Humble, he is not a halfback, but I think should be given an extended run at 6. He came through as a fullback then played 6 all last year in the qld cup for the pride. He took a while to settle even went back to local league for a couple of weeks, but when he came back settled in at 6. He had Chris sheppard at 7 next to him, who was the main playmaker and on field general. Humble though does have a good turn of pace, and can distribute well and had a good long kicking game. Humble also seems best playing on the right side, should compliment mateo on the left.

For mine, I would be doing this:
6. Humble
7. Robson
9. Keating
14. KK
Nsw cup mortimer

Robson to play in the middle of the field and as a general, mainly simply distributing play either side to humble, hayne and mateo. Robson to be end of set kicker in opposition 20m. To take the odd long kick.

Humble to play as an option on the right side, either distributing quickly then supporting runners then taking on the line himself when given space. Humble to take some of the longer kicks.

Mateo playing the same role on the left but more running in his game.

Hayne to be the extra option, and to take some longer kicks. And to put up attacking bombs when between opposition 50 and 20m lines.

KK to come on as hooker or occasionally as 5/8th to add more spark.

Other issues, well clearly I think we need ben smith, tahu and grothe back ot add more physical presence.
Hayne must be willing to play the classic fullback support role more often particularly as a number of our forwards offload. He must play more desperate in general.

Inu and to lessor extent Mateo, get a rocket up them Inu is great when he's good, but his jogging up to the line and stupid passes are unwanted. He is too often lazy and makes guru look like a safe option. I personally think despite his talent him leaving will benefit the club, because you would think what we see on field must happen in training.

Just my view.

Matt keating is no star but has played well at times, and we need robson at half so I think he stays at hooker.

True EEL

Bench
KK to come on as hooker or occasionally as 5/8th to add more spark.

really nice post in general from above Ant

however this point i can't swallow as NO successful team with good, effective, set halves that i can think of in the modern era (maybe outside of Parramatta, particularly under Brian Smith :crazy:) have EVER interchanged the 5/8 or halfback on a regular basis throughout games

i just hate the idea is all......

bartman

Immortal
Take the 7 off Mortimer officially pleeeeeease.

(6) 18. Humble
(7) 6. Robson

(A Big Long Rest) 7. Mortimer

jamo2151

Juniors
ok, can anyone answer who Cameron Picker is from the NYC?? ..I can't remeber him coming from sg ball team.

Cam Picker is a cousin of Joe and Michael Picker from Bigga NSW. He has played a couple of games in SG Ball and is a good young prospect! Go Cam.

Latest posts