What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Team v Titans

H0WZAT

Juniors
The only reason I can see for Ben Smith being in first grade again, and playing at centre, is to try and get someone interested in buying his contract out.

Surely TT, Etu, and Wright should be picked ahead of him.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The only guy I'll go into bat for is Jono Wright, and I think he has a good case.

We know what Ben Smith will provide, Jono Wright held his own in his debut, and it would be worthwhile to give him more exposure to see just how he handles it with a view to next year.

I just don't think Jono offers any more than what Ben does but Ben has earnt his spot through a a couple of solid hitouts for Wenty, he's also another backrow option if DA wants to mix it up, Jono did struggle in his debut against a very good centre which is understandable however he also struggled with overall pace of the game for 80 minutes.

I just don't think Jono offers any more than what Ben does but Ben has earnt his spot through a a couple of solid hitouts for Wenty, he's also another backrow option if DA wants to mix it up, Jono did struggle in his debut against a very good centre which is understandable however he also struggled with overall pace of the game for 80 minutes.

Yeah I agree. I agree Wright does nothing for me. He's just average.

oldmancraigy

Coach

I don't think that's quite right.

Wright looked pretty good - DA came out and praised him after the game saying "we always thought he'd make a good first grader".

He made one bad read in defence, and looked decent with the ball in hand. They ran at him quite a bit (Brian Smith sees the rookie and goes for blood) - but he didn't look hopeless (except on that one occasion). And, frankly, it's pretty hard to be worse than Ben Smith in defence these days anyhow (somehow TT achieves it though).

As for attack - Wright has that elusive quality that Smith lost - pace. He's got more in the pace department, and backs himself instead of juking before the line.

However, Ben Smith has been playing the house down for Wenty. So there's no reason NOT to select him - wait until the final 5-6 games of the season before we COMPLETELY give up and start picking to see what players might be able to do in the future.

forward pass

Coach
He made one bad read in defence, and looked decent with the ball in hand. They ran at him quite a bit (Brian Smith sees the rookie and goes for blood) - but he didn't look hopeless (except on that one occasion). And, frankly, it's pretty hard to be worse than Ben Smith in defence these days anyhow (somehow TT achieves it though).

As for attack - Wright has that elusive quality that Smith lost - pace. He's got more in the pace department, and backs himself instead of juking before the line.

However, Ben Smith has been playing the house down for Wenty. So there's no reason NOT to select him - wait until the final 5-6 games of the season before we COMPLETELY give up and start picking to see what players might be able to do in the future.

Do you remember the Newy game? All he had to was run to the line to score but he strangely cut back in.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I found this weird on the NRL official site, stuff up, or is there something more to it?

Nasso in for Ben Smith?

Baiteri in for either Joe or Lowrie (maybe one has an injury and may not be right by monday?)

MONDAY

GOLD COAST TITANS v PARRAMATTA EELS at Skilled Park, 7pm

TITANS: Preston Campbell, Kevin Gordon, Esi Tonga, Brett Delaney, Chris Walker, Mat Rogers, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey (capt), Nathan Friend, Michael Henderson, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Brad Meyers. Interchange: Matt White, Will Matthews, Daniel Conn, William Zillman, David Mead, Josh Graham. (Two to be omitted)

EELS: Luke Burt, Krisnan Inu, Joel Reddy, Domenic Nasso, Ben Smith, Eric Grothe, Daniel Mortimer, Jeff Robson, Nathan Cayless (capt) Matthew Keating, Fuifui Moimoi, Nathan Hindmarsh, Joe Galuvao, Todd Lowrie, Jason Baitieri. Interchange: Kevin Kingston, Broderick Wright, Tim Mannah, Jeremy Latimore.

Referees: Steve Lyons, Matt Cecchin.

Fee

Juniors
The Ben Smith hate is a joke, like he is just average what do you people expect?

Why does everyone shield the fact that Eric Grothe has zero defensive awareness and near close to the worse hands in the NRL. If i coached a NRL team against Parra i would tell my half to just attack Grothes side, just bombs all day long.

You dont like the Ben Smith hate, but you will start the hate on Eric Grothe again, come on we went through enough of this last year with Eric. I think Eric has played well this year. We arent going to make the 8 this year so lets just enjoy the rest of the footy.

Binga

Juniors
I thought that Oake, Wright and Horo were not considered because they were selected for the qld vs nsw residents game, but i could be wrong.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
You dont like the Ben Smith hate, but you will start the hate on Eric Grothe again, come on we went through enough of this last year with Eric. I think Eric has played well this year. We arent going to make the 8 this year so lets just enjoy the rest of the footy.
Spot on, Guru JR has been one of our better players this year. And as for Big Bad Bustling Benny the less said the better.

^b0ss^

Juniors
hey guys i just thought i would say i thought our number 7 is doing a great job ....he hits the line and gets the ball to the backs HEAPS!@!!!!. i think the guy knows his not the number 1 player ..but he sure is giving the better players plenty of ball.

^b0ss^

Juniors
i think bens a good player ....just think he is short of a few runs i dont think he has lost pace just a matter of fitness he looked buggered.

i dont think he would have been in the team if hayne was in

Stagger eel

Staff member
I thought that Oake, Wright and Horo were not considered because they were selected for the qld vs nsw residents game, but i could be wrong.

that wouldn't come into it, all those players would exchange the rep jersey with a first grade jersey in a pinch.

Bigfella

Coach
Jono Wright showed more in attack in one game than TT and Smith have in the last two seasons IMO.

He made one defensive bad read. That entire side has had problems for at least two seasons, at least some of which stem from the middle of the field. Every player who has played right centre has struggled defensively (including Reddy who got zero criticism for conceding a hat-trick in a game we lose by 4 and a prop gets blamed for an offload?).

He ran strongly, broke tackles, linked with his outside man. He freed up Eric who had a massive game in combination with him.

How that justifies him being written off and going with Smith and TT since then just astounds me. Both of those have missed more, and worse tackles than Jono's since then and neither have contributed in attack. Both have dropped a large amount of ball. Neither have offered any combination in attack with their winger.

I find it very very strange.

Latest posts