What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elias wants to settle old score

Bricey

Juniors
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...settle-old-score/story-e6frg7mf-1225924281853

BEN Elias has urged Wests Tigers to spoil the party for the Raiders in Canberra tomorrow night as revenge for the 1989 grand final. The Tigers received a minor boost for the sudden-death semi-final after centre Blake Ayshford was yesterday cleared of glandular fever. However, he still remains in doubt with a virus.
Regardless of what team takes the field tomorrow night, firmer Tigers hooker Elias would love nothing more than the Tigers to score an upset win and ruin the occasion for the sell-out 27,000 crowd.
Elias was part of the team that was denied a premiership in 1989 after the Green Machine stole a memorable grand final 19-14 in extra time.
Elias has faith that the Tigers can overcome the odds of a horrific injury toll and a hostile crowd to keep their season alive.
"There's been a rivalry with Canberra ever since 1989 and there's a lot of history there," he said. "You ask me the question would we like to spoil the party? One hundred per cent -- '89 was a long, long time ago, but do I still think about it? Absolutely. This would be a payback. It would be poetic justice."

Ayshford has been cleared of glandular fever following a round of blood tests and although he has been named at centre, he still remains in doubt. Today will be crunch time for five-eighth Benji Marshall, when he is expected to participate in a ballwork session.
The Tigers' star No 6 suffered a knee injury during last Saturday night's qualifying final loss to the Sydney Roosters and has been given until kick-off to prove his fitness. The Tigers will take a 21-man squad to Canberra and there could be a significant reshuffle of the backline if centre Chris Lawrence returns from a broken jaw.
While the Tigers were monitoring their casualty list, the Raiders were more concerned about another problem -- five-eighth Terry Campese's relationship with referees.
Speaking on SkySports radio yesterday, prop David Shillington said Campese was a brilliant leader but he needed to brush up his on-field manners
"I don't think he's got the best relationship with a few referees," Shillington said. He's very passionate, Campo. He cares about winning I think more than anyone I've seen.
"Sometimes he probably speaks up a little bit too much to other players or to refs but everyone understands why he does it and we respect him for it."

Let it go Benny..... Just let it go......

If I remember rightly, and I often do, Im sure that the 2005 GF was billed by the players in the '89 GF as the chance to lay demons of the past to rest.

We won it, Demons sleeping. Dont wake them up again

Benny wake up mate, it is now the Wests Tigers,in 1989 this team did not exist.Most of us were either supporters of The Western Suburbs Magpies or the Balmain Tigers who embraced the JV with pride & excitement

Your allegiance to the Balmain Tigers is understandable & respected.A Wests Tigers victory will do nothing to atone for your 1989 loss for it is a completley differrent team.

You for one should realize there are two clubs in this JV not just Balmain.

innsaneink

Referee
I was going for balmain that day, I tossed a coin, it came up tails.
Balmain got my support for the 90 mins or so...they lost. I still got pissed.

N.C.

Juniors
Benny is spot on. No amount of trophies in the cabinet can make up for 1989. But knocking the Raiders out of the competition will make me feel a whole lot better...

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only way you can bury those demons is to beat the Raiders in extra time in a grand final.

Otherwise, just get over it. Sure it hurt, but f**k it was a great game which will hardly ever be rivalled.