What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elliott getting cranky

LeagueNut

First Grade
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8710909/Matt-Elliott-cagey-as-Warriors-eye-redemption
Matt Elliott cagey as Warriors eye redemption

Anyone else who feels like asking Warriors coach Matt Elliott why he's only made minimal team changes for Sunday's game against the Knights does so at their own peril.

It may seem an obvious question as to why just Carlos Tuimavave and Glen Fisiiahi have been dropped from the Warriors starting side that was embarrassed 62-6 by the Panthers last weekend, but Elliott, who is prone to fly off the handle from time to time, gave a young radio journalist at the team's media session yesterday an earful for daring to ask.

''People who ask that question have got no idea of who's available,'' seethed Elliott. ''I am sick of hearing it, it's a dumb question. Who are you going to bring in? You don't know because you haven't put any research into it.''

Well, centre Dominque Peyroux and halfback Harry Seijka are two players who could have been mentioned. They are the only players Elliott has signed to the club and neither has played a game yet.

Also playing for the Vulcans this weekend are Jerome Ropati, Konrad Hurrell and Sebastine Ikahihifo, who all could have been seen as options for a game the Warriors dare not lose by a big margin.

There is young talent in the Vulcans and Under 20s side, but Elliott is reluctant to bring them up to the main team.

''If we make wholesale changes and suffer again, I'm sitting here with you (media) guys and these things (dictaphones) stuffed in my face and you're asking me the same questions again.

''I know you know your business and I know my business. I'm not being indignant about it, but I am getting a bit tired of it to be honest.''

Elliott was sidestepping questions about Shaun Johnson yesterday too. The halfback was embarrassingly yanked from the field against the Panthers.

''If we want to make things personal we miss the point,'' he said. ''I know that at certain times it can feel bad to individuals, but as coaches we make decisions based on what we feel is best for the team at that time.

''No one likes coming off the park. I replace Russell Packer and he whinges and complains the whole time and wants to get back on the field, which is a good thing.''

Elliott also wouldn't comment about whether he'd seen the response he wanted to see on the training paddock after going through one of the worst weeks in the club's history.

''I am reluctant to answer that, I'd rather answer that after the game,'' he said. ''Our preparation standards have raised significantly in the period I've been here.

''We did have a flat week last week after six weeks of pushing pretty hard, leading six games in the last 10 minutes and winning two is pretty irky stuff to deal with.

''When a team responds like that, it's about preparation, so I didn't get it right.''
I don't get it - they seem like pretty straight forward questions to me. Maybe the pressure is starting to get to him.

playdaball

Bench
I just heard ME othe radio saying there was nobody to bring in. If this is the case ....

1, He has been let down by Mr Bell and Mr Scurrah those ultimately in charge of recruiting

2, ME did no real due dilligence before coming here. Surely he would have looked at the total squad before taking on the job, not just tHe top 19-20 players?

3, ME doubts his own decisions as it was him who wanted Peyroux and Seijka - surely he didnt ask them to come here to play solely in the Vulcans?

What happens re team selection if there is another thrashing on Sunday?

Rich102

Staff member
That's a very good point. What happens if we get thrashed again?
Based on last year it is quite possible.
I wonder if Matt has a plan to deal with that?

Meth

Staff member
He's got a point. At this stage, it's kind of like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

As for him getting cranky, good. He'd get more results being a cranky bastard then he will being everybody's mate Matty.

spear tackle

Juniors
He's basically got the squad Brian Maclenan wanted , by the time they had stuffed around with the interview process in getting a new coach the player pool of free agents had pretty much dried up.

vvvrulz

Coach
It was hardly a 'tirade' like the headlines made it out to be, I prefer some blunt honestly to the usual cliche ridden crap most coaches give these days.

Penrose11

Juniors
Firstly I'd takye henry out of centre and put laumape in there. Taylor would be dropped and either Matagi or henry onto bench. I'm hesitant putting henry in but at least he is naturally a 2nd rower and would cover that spot off the bench.

These aren't wholesale changes so keeps continuity but also puts s rocket up one of two of them.

Scott

Bench
Firstly I'd takye henry out of centre and put laumape in there. Taylor would be dropped and either Matagi or henry onto bench. I'm hesitant putting henry in but at least he is naturally a 2nd rower and would cover that spot off the bench.

These aren't wholesale changes so keeps continuity but also puts s rocket up one of two of them.

Well seeing as Ben Henry has done his knee, we may well see Ngani at centre.

Micistm

Bench
Yeah, bit of a blunt silly answer, he would have been wiser to just calmly answer the question which was a fair one, there are a couple of players that could have come in. The pressure must be pretty full on atm, no doubt.
That said, he's the coach, his call, and possibly his fall.
This week will be very interesting for sure, how the team fires after last week, and possibly how the Coach reacts if its just more of the same. Like us all I so want them to do well, but certainly wouldn't be putting cash on them bouncing back

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
if they perform the same and he doesn't get the sack, there will probably be a few murdered players at mt smart.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I saw the Vulcans get 50 put on them by the Sharks the other week... Didn't really look like they were ready for a call-up.

Iafeta

Referee
I understand Elliott's perspective, however, Matagi didn't disgrace himself on debut, John Palavi looks an extremely level headed and strong willed player, and I agree, Elliott signed Seijka and Peyroux, are they suddenly not up to chop now? There is options. I also think Alehana Mara would be a better option in the middle of the park than Godinet, simply because Godinet for all his excellence in broken field play is being used as a speed hump in defence currently by opponents looking for quick ruck speed and offloads.

vvvrulz

Coach
Mara is very unlucky not to get a run at all this year, especially given the madness of fielding Taylor at #9 for a while.

TheDMC

Bench
If the warriors played with the same commitment as did both the chiefs and crusaders in today's S15 match, they would easily win 70% of their games, maybe more. They lack guts and commitment. Bunch of big boys, far from men. I'm not watching this Sunday's game, first time I will miss watching a game I could watch in many a year.

LeftRightOut

Juniors
gave a young radio journalist at the team's media session yesterday an earful for daring to ask.

An earful? Long has got to be kidding - if that's an earful, then most 1st year apprentices have had WW3 declared on them by the end of their first week on site!
There seems to be a new breed of (sports) journalists in NZ with no nous, nose or nuts, especially in regards to RL journalism - they're either up the backside of the Warriors and the NZRL, or are generic sport journo's with limited knowledge of RL, writing filler bollocks.

Elliot has inherited a squad with some frightening attitude and commitment issues, I don't envy the bloke.

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
An earful? Long has got to be kidding - if that's an earful, then most 1st year apprentices have had WW3 declared on them by the end of their first week on site!
There seems to be a new breed of (sports) journalists in NZ with no nous, nose or nuts, especially in regards to RL journalism - they're either up the backside of the Warriors and the NZRL, or are generic sport journo's with limited knowledge of RL, writing filler bollocks.

Elliot has inherited a squad with some frightening attitude and commitment issues, I don't envy the bloke.

Agree. And he isn't going to solve it by tiptoeing around the edges. Heads have to roll.

Diesel

Referee
While we are last on the table, I am fed up with this ramble. Whoever is/are the culprits, regardless they should be put on notice. I don't care if they are a playmaker, fringe first grader or whoever, we need to set the law down and if they don't chance, march them. We don't need attitudes or half asses players at this club anymore

Blake

Juniors
If the warriors played with the same commitment as did both the chiefs and crusaders in today's S15 match, they would easily win 70% of their games, maybe more. They lack guts and commitment. Bunch of big boys, far from men. I'm not watching this Sunday's game, first time I will miss watching a game I could watch in many a year.

Couldn't agree more. Last nights game between the Chiefs and Crusaders was epic. Crusaders were hammering the line for 10 minutes and couldn't get through. Defense in rugby is so much more tiring and mentally fatiguing that the Warriors should be made to try it for a while. Try tackling for 25 phases and you'll quickly separate the men from the boys.

Latest posts