What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ENC: Russia 48 Georgia 14

carlnz

Bench
Gee does that mean Georgia could be in for a 100 against France at home?!?!

I really thought Georgia would of won this match. Hope there was a decent crowd their.

bender

Juniors
carlnz said:
Gee does that mean Georgia could be in for a 100 against France at home?!?!

I really thought Georgia would of won this match. Hope there was a decent crowd their.

It isnt really a surprise. Russia have been playing rugby league for a long time. Georgia have only had one or two games. They have a Union background, but in all honesty, i cant see how their union standard is any better than Russia's league standard. To be honest, it would have said fairly little for russia, if a side could have come straight from union and beat them. I dont think there are too many union sides (outside of those that already play league) who could do that, if any. Maybe Argentina.

Big Bunny

Juniors
My estimation of rugby union as a sport with a decent standard anywhere outside of the UK, France and the Southern Hemisphere has dropped in a major way. I'm not a fan of the code, but I did give them far too much credit.

roopy

Referee
Georgia will be on a very steep learning curve. They will improve 50% by their next game (after they go home and look hard at what they did wrong).
I'm not sure their coach (a Tongan with a Union background who also coaches their Union side) is the right guy to help them, but I'm sure they will get help from the RLEF.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
http://www.rlef.eu.com/newsstory.php?id=123

Monday 24 October 2005

RUSSIA 48 GEORGIA 14 - Lujhniki Arena, Moscow

The Bears defied the heavy Moscow rain to sweep away the Georgians in the first ever international Eastern European derby in front of an enthusiastic crowd which included RFL Development Director Gary Tasker.

The match was effectively won in the opening 25 minutes as the Georgians began nervously, seemingly overawed by the occasion, in only their third match and undoubtedly their toughest at this level.

Led by dynamic hooker Roman Ovchinnikov, who controlled the ruck area and got the bigger, more experienced Russian pack moving forward, the Bears took control from the kick off.

Lively scrum half Andrey Kuzovkov was given too much space and he crossed for the opening score, Ovchinnikov then exploiting a gap to burrow over from close in; Kuzovkov’s conversion making it 10-0 before the visitors had had any meaningful possession.

Converted tries to strong running centre Sergey Dobrynin and fleet-footed stand off Victor Nechaev extended the lead; Irakliy Chshikvadze making it 26-0 in as many minutes.

The Georgian defence then began to find the measure of their opponents although they failed to counter the pace of winger Denis Korolev who crossed in the corner after a fine run.

The Georgian revival stemmed from a try just before the break scored by winger David Jhamutashvili, whose pace was a handful throughout.

Although Artem Grigorian extended the home lead to 36-4 just after the break, the Georgians found their rhythm and enjoyed their best spell, running in two tries as they dominated for a quarter of an hour.

George Maisuradze charged clear and the impressive Jhamutashvili grabbed his second to make it 36-14 but the Bears finished strongly banishing the memory of their heavy defeat in Arles last week.

Ovchinnikov again showed his guile and foot work in the middle to claim his brace before skipper Evgeny Bozhoukov completed the scoring with his side’s ninth touchdown.

Georgia’s coaching consultant Vinny Webb commented, “This has been a great learning experience for the whole side and a lot more positives than negatives have come out of it. There is a lot to work on for the game against France next week but more importantly for the future of the sport in the country and the will is there.”

GAME STAR – Two try Russian hooker Roman Ovchinnikov ran the show with his searing darts and clever distribution

GAME BREAKER – The Russians were given too much latitude to display their skills from the kick off, the opening quarter seeing them race away to a decisive lead.

RUSSIA
1 Oleg Logunov
2 Denis Korolev
3 Sergey Dobrynin
27 Oleg Smirnov
5 Valentin Baskakov
16 Victor Nechaev
7 Andrey Kuzovkov
8 Ian Gvozdev
9 Roman Ovchinnikov
10 Andrey Dumalkin
11 Alexander Lysenkov
12 Irakliy Chshikvadze
13 Evgeny Bozhoukov (C)
Subs (all used)
4 Artem Grigorian
14 Alexander Chulkov
18 Nikolay Zagoskin
25 Andrey Kuzovkov

Tries: Kuzovkov, Ovchinnikov 2, Dobrynin, Nechaev, Chshikvadze, Korolev, Grigorian, Bozhoukov
Goals: Kuzovkov, Logunov 5

GEORGIA
1 Giorgi Assatiani
2 Zviad Koberidze
3 Revaz Guigauri
4 Aleksander Guilauri
5 David Jhamutashvili
6 Lekso Gugava
7 Bidzina Samkharadze
8 Giorgi Mtchedlishvili
9 Nodar Andghuladze
10 David Gasviani
11 Giorgi Trapaidze
12 Nikoloz Mkheidze
13 Vakhtang Akhvlediani (C)
Subs (all used)
14 Fridon Udessiani
15 Vakhtang Tskhadadze
16 Beka Qurashvili
17 George Maisuradze

Tries: Jhamutashvili 2, Maisuradze
Goal: Udessiani

Men of the match:
RUSSIA - Roman Ovchinnikov GEORGIA – David Jhamutashvili

Half time: 32-4

Referee: Thierry Alibert (France)

Scoring sequence: 4-0, 10-0, 16-0, 22-0, 26-0, 32-0, 32-4, 36-4, 36-10, 36-14, 42-14, 48-14

bender said:
It isnt really a surprise. Russia have been playing rugby league for a long time. Georgia have only had one or two games. They have a Union background, but in all honesty, i cant see how their union standard is any better than Russia's league standard. To be honest, it would have said fairly little for russia, if a side could have come straight from union and beat them. I dont think there are too many union sides (outside of those that already play league) who could do that, if any. Maybe Argentina.

I wonder what the score would have been if all of Georgia's RWC squad who played pro rugby in France were playing ?
I think the Georgians shoud be proud of themselves that they held the Russians fairly close .

bender

Juniors
Polynesian Warrior said:
I wonder what the score would have been if all of Georgia's RWC squad who played pro rugby in France were playing ?
I think the Georgians shoud be proud of themselves that they held the Russians fairly close .

If they had their very strongest union squad, i would imagine it would only be a little better, as they are union players not league players and don't know the importance of many facets of the game. Just like if The Russian RL side played Georgia locals at union, you would expect a Georgia victory. If Australia or South Africa Union played russia RL, i would expect an Australian victory because of the class factor. But Georgia are not really that much better in standard than Russia are at RL. I agree though, they should be proud of themselves.

ali

Bench
Additional info from the Georgian website. http://www.geocities.com/Kartuli_Liga/English_sources.htm#2005-10-23_Lujhniki
[+++ Georgia lacked the leadership and cool heads of retired old war-horses, two Kakhabers: pivot (No 6) Alania and loosie (No 13) Kobakhidze; George Shkinini of Hooligana RC who had to play at six was refused Russian visa just before the team flew out and make-shift fly-half Lexo Gugava has his cheek-bone snapped before half-time, thus forcing utility Fridon Udessiani and even hooker Nono Andghuladze to act as ball distributor. In all, it was evident that Tsameti Kartveli were not leagueies as yet whilst Bears felt at home as League is their bread and butter]

Sunday, 23 October, 2005. Moscow, Lujhniki Arena; Crowd: about ONE thousand

Sun_Down

Juniors
Well that crowd is pretty bad. Didnt they get like 35K once, I swear they did. Like in the Victory Cup or against the USA or something....

BatiFan

Juniors
Hopefully this win will give the Russians some momentum to lead towards a resurgence in Russia. A few years ago the game was really gathering pace on the back of the Russians winning games in the then Victory Cup. Hopefully this victory will do a similar thing.

ali

Bench
Der Kaiser said:
Some of the team from Georgia are Union Internationals as well as I understand it.

Yep 6 full internationals, as well as 6 former under 19 internationals and 3 sevens reps. So that's 15 of the squad who had represented Georgia at some level of Union.

On the crowd, I had a suspicion at the time of the USA match, that the 35000 crowd had a lot more to do with the fact they were playing the USA, than the fact they were showing up to watch a rugby match. The free promotions, such as the giving away of a car may also have helped. I'm guessing the promotions have come to an end now they have lost their rich backer. But on the positive, 17 blokes who are pretty much born and bread League players defeated a team of Georgian Union reps in Rugby League. Considering Union is pretty close to the national sport of Georgia, that's a decent win. It's a shame Russia doesn't have an oponent next week to build on that victory. 2 games, and 1 home game a year is not enough. Next year we need to add Lebanon and England to the Euro nations cup, so that each team gets 3 group games. I'd also throw in a cross over game, so that each nation gets 2 home games.

elBandido

Juniors
From what I remember they were giving away cars and other promos at the USA game something they couldn't do every international.

Sun_Down said:
Well that crowd is pretty bad. Didnt they get like 35K once, I swear they did. Like in the Victory Cup or against the USA or something....

There were prizes on offer that night but hopefully many went away and told their friends about the game.

having a foot in both camps it seems that soviet russia was too strong for georgia - does ukraine/belarus play league.

I have visions of a quad nation tournament between Russia/Ukraine/Belarus/Georgia