What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England to revive mid-season Test in 2020?

yakstorm

First Grade
Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/1028...linch-deal-for-sonny-bill-williams-this-week/

Meanwhile, England still hope to play a mid-season Test in 2020, even though Super League’s fixture list has left no gap.

Sources say a match is being lined up for Saturday, June 20 or Sunday, June 21 – when the NRL takes a break for the second State of Origin clash.

And insiders say Super League has been made aware by the Rugby Football League of England’s intention to play.

That means sides will be without any players called up – with a maximum of three likely to be stipulated – for league matches if the game, likely to be played down under, is arranged.

If the match is likely to be in the Southern Hemisphere, like it is rumoured, who would they play? Tonga and NZ are expected to face each other, so would the plan be to face a SBW-lead Samoa?

Burns

First Grade
Samoa will need to play their Oceanic Cup match against either PNG/Cook Islands.

Although, I read yesterday that Matt Parish is trying to arrange games against New Zealand and Tonga for next year.

I think everyone is forgetting about that Pool B of the Cup.

Maybe England could play Fiji, as New Zealand would play Tonga that weekend?

Springs09

Juniors
Samoa will need to play their Oceanic Cup match against either PNG/Cook Islands.

Although, I read yesterday that Matt Parish is trying to arrange games against New Zealand and Tonga for next year.

I think everyone is forgetting about that Pool B of the Cup.

Maybe England could play Fiji, as New Zealand would play Tonga that weekend?

Well not necessarily, PNG can play Cook Islands in the mid season and Samoa can play both at the end of the year.

Hopefully Samoa can play NZ and Tonga as well. Pool B of the cup isn’t enough for them really.

Also everyone forgets about it because it’s meaningless.

yakstorm

First Grade
As mentioned, Samoa could easily play their two matches at the end of the year and easily add in an NZ and Tonga match as well and be finished up before the Kangaroos are back from England.

For England, outside of Tonga, Samoa or NZ, I'm not sure who will give them enough of a hitout plus draw a big enough crowd to ensure it is at least cost effective.

If they play PNG in Port Moresby, it might work, same if they were to play Fiji, it would be financially better to have Fiji fly to the UK to play.

deluded pom?

Coach
They will, just actually push for it ffs.
It’s a pity they can’t make it a contractual obligation for SL membership that Catalans have to support a mid season international but as I said in another thread Catalans’ first priority is to finish eleventh or better in the league. There’s too much dependency on Catalans and Toulouse to prop up the France national team and any France based players will be out of season.

adamkungl

Immortal
Coming down here mid-year in a busy calendar is not particularly cost effective or sustainable.

They should be working with their neighbour nations.

Either play the highest ranked home nation in June every year (currently Scotland, surprisingly) or play a combined Celtic team every year.
Then play France 2 weeks after the Super League Grand Final as an annual event, outside of any tournament.

It's a good foundation to build their calendar on.

England need to prioritise playing more internationals to build the profile of the sport and get a jump on their southern hemisphere rivals.

Pommy

Coach
Playing a Celtic side is dumb, as dumb as the suggestions we have a war of the Roses type origin event.
Play a nation or don’t bother. If none of the home nations or France are interested i’m sure Jamaica would oblige.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It’s a pity they can’t make it a contractual obligation for SL membership that Catalans have to support a mid season international but as I said in another thread Catalans’ first priority is to finish eleventh or better in the league. There’s too much dependency on Catalans and Toulouse to prop up the France national team and any France based players will be out of season.

I completely agree with what you say but where is the pride in the French jersey?

Where is the French version of: 'I am always available for England' James Graham?
Where is their Taumalolo or Fifita wanting to play for the love of the jersey?
Where is their Benji Marshall in tears while the anthem plays out of pride for his country?
Where is their Cam Smith never wanting to miss an international game (when his team bothered playing of course)?

jim_57

Staff member
Coming down here mid-year in a busy calendar is not particularly cost effective or sustainable.

They should be working with their neighbour nations.

Either play the highest ranked home nation in June every year (currently Scotland, surprisingly) or play a combined Celtic team every year.
Then play France 2 weeks after the Super League Grand Final as an annual event, outside of any tournament.

It's a good foundation to build their calendar on.

England need to prioritise playing more internationals to build the profile of the sport and get a jump on their southern hemisphere rivals.

I'd obviously like to see England play France once a year but aside from that I'd like to see them have a guaranteed home game every year on the weekend after the SL Grand Final, regardless of where the rest of the Internationals are.

For variety I'd make it something like an "Invitational world challenge" with a shiny shield and a different opponent every year. Meaning opposition players probably only have 1 chance to win it in their careers and England get to defend it every year.

Rotate between Australia, NZ, France, Italy, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Greece, Tonga, Fiji, PNG, Samoa, Cook Islands, Lebanon, Jamaica, USA, Canada etc. Some more than others but never the same team twice in 8 years. On the assurance that these teams can get close to their strongest team on the park.

It's something unlike anything else and if planned well at ambitious/attractive stadiums if could become a real staple on the calendar for English fans. Announce the following year's opponent at half time of the game the year before. Offer some prize money for whoever wins to give the travelling teams some extra incentive.

deluded pom?

Coach
I completely agree with what you say but where is the pride in the French jersey?

Where is the French version of: 'I am always available for England' James Graham?
Where is their Taumalolo or Fifita wanting to play for the love of the jersey?
Where is their Benji Marshall in tears while the anthem plays out of pride for his country?
Where is their Cam Smith never wanting to miss an international game (when his team bothered playing of course)?
Maybe Jason Baitieri can answer that one better than me.

Burns

First Grade
Can see England playing Fiji down here.

Tonga will play NZ during Rep Weekend. Gives Fiji a game.

geordie_saint

Juniors
Can see England playing Fiji down here.

Tonga will play NZ during Rep Weekend. Gives Fiji a game.

Only option IMO.

Sadly nothing works up here in the northern hemisphere as France are not interested and the other nations are too weak. Cost should be irrelevant. And sustainability isn't an issue as you have a number nations available to play. If England want to develop cohesion, it's an essential necessity to travel down there mid-season.

siv

First Grade
I still think a British Isles 4 nations would work

Ireland Scotland and Wales are pretty close to being the next 3 best Euro nations already

And it would have a SOO feel with so many players in the ESL

jim_57

Staff member
Only option IMO.

Sadly nothing works up here in the northern hemisphere as France are not interested and the other nations are too weak. Cost should be irrelevant. And sustainability isn't an issue as you have a number nations available to play. If England want to develop cohesion, it's an essential necessity to travel down there mid-season.

Ireland did pretty well in the '17 World Cup with a mostly English club based side. Why not try them for a test if France aren't up for it?

Latest posts