What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England tour of New Zealand- 5 T20's and 2 Tests- November 2019

JJ

Immortal
311/5 at drinks - Seems like Pope is really struggling - SR about 20... NZ will be glad for the slow RR, but want a few wickets... odd delivery keeping low

Meth

Staff member
This will come down to England trying to bowl us out tomorrow. Raval and Latham will be key

JJ

Immortal
This will come down to England trying to bowl us out tomorrow. Raval and Latham will be key

Raval's only key in terms of hopefully giving Williamson 10 overs respite... I'd be seriously looking at dropping Williamson to 4, Taylor to 5 and Nicholls 6 if they can't get an opener who's half competent

Scott

Bench
I was listening to Radio Sport in the car yesterday when somebody suggested Daryl Mitchell as an opener to replace Raval. I instantly rolled my eyes and dismissed the idea & changed the station.

Fine debut innings - but he's never opened at FC level. I see no other option to replace Raval other than Guptill. That ship has sailed.

JJ

Immortal
I was listening to Radio Sport in the car yesterday when somebody suggested Daryl Mitchell as an opener to replace Raval. I instantly rolled my eyes and dismissed the idea & changed the station.

Fine debut innings - but he's never opened at FC level. I see no other option to replace Raval other than Guptill. That ship has sailed.
Been a lot of manufactured openers had good/reasonable success in recent years - Langer, Katich, Watson, Richardson, Latham...

But a test series in Straya isn't the time to manufacture/debut someone... They're committed FWIW to Raval... atm Brownlie is the only sensible alternative, but they decided that ship sailed years ago

Meth

Staff member
England are going for it now. I still think they’ve been way too slow, but if they get 2-3 tonight then they might be in ok shape

edabomb

First Grade
I guess given the squad is set in stone (don't know who came up with that one) then you have to run with Raval for the first test. The problem is he is also a liability in the field, so he's not really giving you anything if he doesn't bat 60 balls an innings.

If he has another double failure the only option I can see is Watling opening as a batsmen and Blundell coming in to keep and bat at 6.