What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England v France

Evil Homer

Staff member
Tight game,the final score was 22-12 to England.Chris Thorman was MOM.

For the French Fakir looked strong and Rinaldi and Berthezene were lively.

bartman

Immortal
Good stuff, sounds competitive. Was going to go along if the match was earlier in the afternoon, but had tickets to a gig tonight so had to skip it....

JasonE

Bench
I heard Big Eorl may have played his way into the GB squad, they could do with another prop as they only picked 4.

carlnz

Bench
England 22-12 France

International, Headingley, Sunday October 23

England hit back with a strong second-half performance to stave off the threat of a shock defeat at the hands of a rejuvenated France.

Organised and enterprising under new coach John Monie, the French were on course for their first win over England for 24 years when they led 12-6 at half-time at Headingley.

But half-backs Chris Thorman and Luke Robinson came to the fore after the interval as the Super League class began to tell, but the recent resurgence across the Channel showed every sign of continuing as France warmed up for their internationals with Australia and New Zealand.

England, with the incentive of places up for grabs in Great Britain's Tri-Nations squad, went in front after six minutes when skipper Thorman took a pass from his Huddersfield team-mate Eorl Crabtree and side-stepped his way through for the opening try.

The Giants stand-off added the conversion to make it 6-0 but France, full of confidence after their 80-0 win over Russia, hit back in impressive fashion.

Some powerful running from second rower Djamel Fakir, one of eight players from Super League newcomers Les Catalans, softened up the England defence and experienced half-backs Laurent Frayssinous and Julien Rinaldi orchestrated a series of dangerous attacking moves.

The visitors drew level on 15 minutes when hooker David Berthezene forced his way over from close range following a break by centre Jerome Hermet, and they went in front when right winger Freddy Zitter took Gregory Mounis' cut-out pass to score a second try.

Zitter, who played the 2005 season with National League club Barrow, could have had two further tries before the break as the French enjoyed the majority of possession.

He had one effort at the corner disallowed by the video referee for a foot in touch and then looked on in frustration as Hermet caught Rinaldi's high kick but was unable to get the pass out of Richie Mathers' tackle.

Frayssinous kicked one conversion and added a penalty to stretch his side's lead to a deserved six points by half-time.

England almost scored just before the break when centre Stuart Reardon lost the ball in Olivier Charles' tackle as he went over the line but they drew level seven minutes into the second half.

Scrum-half Luke Robinson jinked his way over for a solo try after full-back Renaud Guigue had fumbled the ball from Thorman's high kick, and they went back in front on 55 minutes when second rower Jamie Jones-Buchanan followed up Thorman's grubber kick to the line and got the vital touch.

Thorman added both goals but was wide with a long-range drop goal attempt and England could only breathe easy when Crabtree took Paul Sykes' pass to crash over for his side's fourth try in the final minute.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
Crowd: 2609

Sadaoui and Elima did not play, Greseque and Guisset did..............Greseque from the bench, replaced Couturier at one stage. French had little possession in the second half.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
I was not at the game but have canvassed friends who saw it on TV. Apparently the French forwards, apart from Fakir, did not make much inroad when in possession. Some British viewers questioned the fitness of the French (since the French season ended in early August for many, and training recommenced mid-September then the English could be expected to be fitter).
I am disappointed that France did not win. They will have to improve to be competitive with the Aussies and Kiwis in November, as they were last year for 70-75 minutes of each match. They will not be underestimated this time.

The French forwards will be destroyed by the Kiwis unless they improve. I would also hope that Maxime Greseque will become the permanent No. 6 for the big matches, and that someone can be found to be an effective attacking centre for France (Can Sadaoui develop to that point?).

Ari Gold

Bench
thats a real shame, with couterier (injury) and estebanez (union) gone, France has a very weak backline

ali

Bench
AlbertRosenfeld said:
I was not at the game but have canvassed friends who saw it on TV. Apparently the French forwards, apart from Fakir, did not make much inroad when in possession. Some British viewers questioned the fitness of the French (since the French season ended in early August for many, and training recommenced mid-September then the English could be expected to be fitter).
I am disappointed that France did not win. They will have to improve to be competitive with the Aussies and Kiwis in November, as they were last year for 70-75 minutes of each match. They will not be underestimated this time.

The French forwards will be destroyed by the Kiwis unless they improve. I would also hope that Maxime Greseque will become the permanent No. 6 for the big matches, and that someone can be found to be an effective attacking centre for France (Can Sadaoui develop to that point?).

Given your knowledge of the French players, who if anyone, do you think can step up and become a superstar for France? Now that the Catalans are in the Super league, surely we'll hang onto more players, and it is only a matter of time until a top shelf player emerges. From afar, it sounds as though Fakir or Mounis may be the ones to look out for.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
Jamal Fakir is already at the top level. He made a mess of Ben Kennedy in the Test last November, and throughly humiliated Lockyer when he smashed him onto his back while rampaging for the line. Lockyer made mention of "that Number 11" in his post match comments. Fakir is very strong, tough and fast. Fast enough to be a centre. But his game is not complete in that he has no footwork and no offload.

Another potential great star is Sebastian Raguin. He played a blinder for Toulouse against against Leeds, running though a hole on half way and scoring a great try with speed and sidestep. He knows how to run through a hole at an angle. He is always looking to offload. His main weakness for now is that he is overweight (120 kg), which hinders his acceleration. If he lost 8 kilos, he would be a world beater. He needs a full time club and a diet-conditioning-strength program to bring him to his maximum potential. At that point he and Fakir together would create havoc with the British and Aussie packs.

Mounis looks to me like a star in the making. Since I don't see him week in and week out I don't know him that well. But from what I have seen (for France against Australia and New Zealand and in several French club games) I think he has a big future.

But the most brilliant attacking player in France is Maxime Greseque. He is most like Matt Orford in terms of his range of skills -- elusive runner, brilliant field kicker, plus excellent goal kicker --- and in terms of weight (78 kg), though he is not as strong as Orford. Probably should be a half back rather than five eighth for a club, but Julien Rinaldi is half for France so Maxime will be five eighth for France. Maxime has a certain intuition and anticipation that makes him special. He is charismatic and inspirational on the field. He is the embodiment of "French flair." He can bring the crowd to its feet.

I hope that John Monie has figured this all out by now.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
I might add that Teddy Sadaoui has some big hopes pinned on him in France, including especially from two quality Australians (a player and a coach) whose opinions I respect. I have not seen him against top class opposition so it is hard for me to judge. He is very tall and heavy (around 112 kg), with a strong fend, though I have not seen him show great acceleration.

But France desperately needs to find two classy centres. Fabrice Estebanez of Toulouse was another prospect, with his great speed, strength and sidestep. But he has gone to union for the time being. Anyway his defense is poor. I hope that Sadaoui can develop with Les Catalans and be one of the French centre stars in the future.

elBandido

Juniors
I was quite impressed they were disciplined and with full time fitness a few of them will do well in Superleague.