What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enough of the Johnny Warren bullsh*t

Moffo

Referee
Hi,

I know this may come across as controversial but I am disgusted and sick of the way that the media and certain stupid people have been pushing Johnny Warren throughout this World Cup

Johnny Warren was a humble, hard working man who devoted his life to Australian football. The way that he is getting plastered up now on anything that Soccer Australia are flogging and even having the 'i told you so' on the SBS coverage is embarrassing. He would be embarrassed to see all of this.

I have the utmost respect for him but it is so tacky and sickening to see how some media outlets are profiting off him

Disgraceful. Let the great man rest in peace

Dunno

Juniors
I think it comes with Australia's limited footballing history. They're trying to dig up some sort of history for the game and he's the best they can come up with. However you don't see other networks lamenting their lost personalities like SBS are. eg: Richard Carlton or Barry Sheene

Misanthrope

Staff member
I doubt he'd be embarassed. He lived and breathed Australian football and now that we're coming good - he's become an unofficial avatar or mascot for the entire campaign. The players certainly respected him, and if attaching a sentimental note to the World Cup means more people watch - I'd say he'd be all for it.

Moffo

Referee
sunny said:
how do you know wthere he'd be embarrased or not?

i know that quiet people don't like being paraded in front of every Australian football advertisement. I don't KNOW, but id assume he would be embarrassed, based on his personality anyway

Tom Shines

First Grade
Well the man is the most important one of three that has made Australian football what it is today. (The other two being Frank Lowy and Guus, for those playing at home).

Misanthrope

Staff member
This kind of conversation is both pointless and stupid. None of us can say with any degree of certainty what Johnny Warren would feel about current events. The entire pro wrestling community went through the same stupid argument when Eddie Guerrero died and the WWE started using it in their storylines. Unless someone who actually knew Johnny Warren well complains - I don't see what we have to complain about beyond our own likes and dislikes.

Raider_69

Post Whore
im getting sick and tired of here johnny warren this and johnny warren that... ffs, let the man legacy speak for itself, no need to sensationalise every word he uttered, he was a great man for soccer in this country, no one is going to forget the contribution he made, so stop persisting with it

as CBW said, the same thing has occured recently in the wrestling world, with Eddie Guerrero and i held the same view there... their legacies will be long remembered through the ages

Misanthrope

Staff member
as CBW said, the same thing has occured recently in the wrestling world, with Eddie Guerrero and i held the same view there... their legacies will be long remembered through the ages

Except that's not exactly what I said. I agree that it gets annoying hearing it all of the time, but people claiming that 'Johnny Warren would be offended/embarassed' are talking out of their asses. Unless they're Johnny Warren themselves or someone damn close to him - they don't know jack about what he would think.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i agree to an extent however logically speaking, surely you'd think he'd be at least slightly embarrassed by the media dribbling on about him constantly when they should be focusing on other things, the only bloke who's been mentioned more then Johnny atm, is Cahill

Tom Shines

First Grade
Wherever he is at the moment, I'm sure he'd be extremely proud and content if he could see what they've done.

Misanthrope

Staff member
i agree to an extent however logically speaking, surely you'd think he'd be at least slightly embarrassed by the media dribbling on about him constantly when they should be focusing on other things, the only bloke who's been mentioned more then Johnny atm, is Cahill

I don't make any assumptions. I can't even say with any certainty how I would feel if it were my name being plastered all over the place - let alone how someone I'd never met would feel. It's just stupid to assume. Say you're annoyed and say you hate it - but don't presume to speak for someone else.

choc_soldier

Coach
Johnny Warren WAS Australian football for so many years. The fact that he is now gone, and that we have made the "world stage" (i.e the World Cup), the two have come together.

There is a difference between paying tribute to a man who longed to see our country back in that tournament, and exploiting his memory in order to further the cause of the marketing side of the World Cup for SBS.

Apart from the "Told You So" graphic and a doco that will be on SBS this week, I honestly have not seen anything that is deemed to be exploiting him. But then again, I have not been glued to SBS since Friday night...

Angry_eel

First Grade
I think its just SBS trying to push towards all out war on the sporting market with this. Johnny warren is a legend but SBS is using him too much. i haven't even see johnny warren mentioned on other channels.

An41

Juniors
Johnny Warren was more closer to the SBS team than other channels so I can understand why SBS are mentioning him so much

pennywisealfie said:
in a funny twist, i think instead of "i told you so" have up some of his stupid comments that hes made.

lol, somthing along the lines of 'By 2012, Earth Will Be Ruled By Monkeys' - I bet SBS would never put that up...

Zack DLR

Juniors
What a bunch of Narcs.

Johnny Warren dedicated his life to Australian football and it is the greatest tragedy that he is not here for the success we are enjoying now. And I really mean that, it is a genuine tragedy that Johnny Warren can't see this.

It is ABSOLUTELY APPROPRIATE for SBS to dedicate this world cup to Johnny Warrens memory.

The documentary, the "I told you so", the occasional off hand reference to him.... Its all fine with me.

Until they start actually trying to profiteer from his memory, I wont cop any "Theyre exploiting him! " garbage...... because they are not.

Johnny Warren will not be far from my memory throughout this entire world cup. It gives me a great feeling to see SBS remembering him at this time.

Latest posts