What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Entire Wests Tigers Board Sacked

Wb1234

Referee
If it happens Balmain won’t be getting six games at leichardt oval

but as an ex Balmain fan I’d love to see the jersey back full time

it would be the return of two foundation clubs and wests could focus on Campbelltown

MugaB

Coach
If it happens Balmain won’t be getting six games at leichardt oval

but as an ex Balmain fan I’d love to see the jersey back full time

it would be the return of two foundation clubs and wests could focus on Campbelltown
You know this all won't happen, but silver lining is the jersey will be back if east tigers nab the 20th licence with all this mess

Wb1234

Referee
Wouldn't it be so RL if the sport is finally rid of it's last merger only for PVL to give the Bears a license and doom us all to decades more of this infighting bull shit from the Western Bears. . .
Bears coming back

tigers going it alone

this is like a nightmare for you huh ?

John robot would be rolling around in his grave if he knew

The Great Dane

First Grade
A possible sequence of events...

* Balmain leave the joint venture

* Wests Ashfield rebrand the NRL side as Magpies

* Balmain contact Brisbane (Easts) Tigers, asking if they want to link-up, similar to the Newtown-Ipswich Jets bid.

* Brisbane (Easts) Tigers laugh at Balmain. ("Nah, you've just given us the opportunity to bid under our own brand. Besides, who'd be crazy enough to team-up with you?")

* Balmain contact NZ bid syndicates. They all refuse ("Nah, who'd be crazy enough to team up with you?")

* Balmain contact other bid syndicates. (Adelaide? Fiji? Central Queensland?!?) They all refuse: "Nah, who'd be crazy enough to team up with you?"

* Balmain end up in NSW Cup (best case) or Ron Massey Cup.
Do Balmain own the rights to the Tigers brand?

I don't know for sure, but I'd be extremely surprised if the rights to the Wests Tigers brand didn't sit with The Wests Tigers and NRL. In other words, the odds are that there'd be nothing Balmain could do to stop Wests from continuing to use the Tigers brand if they so choose.

The most likely scenarios of them leaving the Wests merger would be either, A. they continue on in a lower tier comp, or, B. they fold. Anything else is fanciful dreaming.

Nobody in their right mind would choose to merge with them given their track record, nor would they bring anything of value to a new merger anyway.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
Balmain tigers go it alone they'll sit in nsw cup, like the bears did... this might be a ploy by the current ceo richy Richo to break em up, and get his east tigers merging with balmain... I had a very strong feeling about this when he got the job last year
Easts Tigers won't merge with Balmain. Why would they?

If Wests Tigers keeps the Tigers brand after Balmain leave, then Balmain has nothing of value to Brisbane Easts.

If Wests Tigers re-brands to Magpies, it solves all of Easts Tigers NRL bid branding issues. They can just be themselves.
(Remember the Firehawks brand?)

However if the price was right & it gave them a supply of Sydney juniors to supplement their Brisbane operation, they might be tempted to BUY Balmain. Maybe.

Maybe the plan for Richo was to just clear the way for Brisbane Tigers to bid as Brisbane Tigers with no complications?

MugaB

Coach
Easts Tigers won't merge with Balmain.

Why would they? If Wests Tigers re-brands to Magpies, it solves all of Easts Tigers NRL bid branding issues. They can just be themselves.

However if the price was right & it gave them a supply of Sydney juniors to supplement their Brisbane operation, they might be tempted to BUY Balmain. Maybe.

Maybe the plan for Richo was to just clear the way for Brisbane Tigers to bid as Brisbane Tigers with no complications?
Correct.... richo is an smooth operator
Again, they don't need to Merge.. just need them not to exist at nrl level, I doubt the wests tigers would want to continue under that name if this splits... also nothing stopping the NRL from taking the licence away either... the licence agreements are not sorted out

The Great Dane

First Grade
Bears coming back

tigers going it alone

this is like a nightmare for you huh ?

John robot would be rolling around in his grave if he knew
You need to lay the crack pipe down.

Balmain are flat broke and easily the most incompetently run pro-sports entity in the country. Even if the NRL was stupid enough to grant a license for another Sydney side, which we both know they're not, Balmain couldn't possibly support it.

The fact that geriatrics with a hard on for 70s, 80s, and 90s nostalgia are screwing the sport again isn't the humble brag you think it is either.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Again, they don't need to Merge.. just need them not to exist at nrl level, I doubt the wests tigers would want to continue under that name if this splits... also nothing stopping the NRL from taking the licence away either... the licence agreements are not sorted out
You're next level stupid if you really think Richo is pushing this as some sort of 4D chess move to clear the path for the Easts Tigers to join the NRL.

He doesn't have any influence over the Balmain board.

flippikat

Bench
Then there's the nuclear option that the NRL has up their sleeve.

Canceling the Wests Tigers licence, which reduces the competition to 16 teams - then adding Perth, PNG, NZ 2 AND another SE-Qld team over the next 5 to 7 years - so none of the expansion frontrunner markets miss-out.

Wb1234

Referee
If Balmain had done this earlier they could’ve been picked ahead of the dolphins

the firebirds such a dumb name

MugaB

Coach
You're next level stupid if you really think Richo is pushing this as some sort of 4D chess move to clear the path for the Easts Tigers to join the NRL.

He doesn't have any influence over the Balmain board.
What influence.... you don't need influence, just need to say shit like wests got me doing this wests got me doing that... I feel for Justin pascoe putting uo with this shit... the Balmain 10% would do this on thier own

The Great Dane

First Grade
Easts Tigers won't merge with Balmain. Why would they?

If Wests Tigers keeps the Tigers brand after Balmain leave, then Balmain has nothing of value to Brisbane Easts.

If Wests Tigers re-brands to Magpies, it solves all of Easts Tigers NRL bid branding issues. They can just be themselves.

Wests rebranding to the Magpies wouldn't be a given assuming they still have access to the Tigers brand.

Balmain actually being dumb enough to drop out of the merger isn't a given either.

MugaB

Coach

Canceling the Wests Tigers licence, which reduces the competition to 16 teams - then adding Perth, PNG, NZ 2 AND another SE-Qld team over the next 5 to 7 years - so none of the expansion frontrunner markets miss-out.
Now that 4D chess, but culling teams is not part of V'Dog's forte

The Great Dane

First Grade

The ARLC and NRL are too cowardly to go that route.

Latest posts