What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eric Grothe,pat Richards Or Luke Rooney?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Grothe's a winger. He doesn't need a damn passing game! :fist:

He has a handy offload, though. He just needs to learn when to actually offload.

Patty had a handy offload too if I recall.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Natalie's Daddy said:
No it's not. Wing used to be a skilled position. Most modern day wingers don't know the art of an in and away or beating your man on the outside. It all started in the early nineties when track runners were brought in for their speed.

Um...Eric Grothe Senior is regarded as one of the great wingers of the game, and he had a substantially similar game to his own son's...:?

But anyway - you've seen Grothe beat people using sheer speed and agility, as we've seen Rooney and Richards do it. It's not a lost skill.

D

Deleted member 10972

Joel Monaghan =D.

LOL, seriously, Grothe has the skill to be better than all of them, similar to Vatuvei & Tame Tupou. Big, strong, fast, but awful defence/handling. Richards & Rooney probaby didn't have the sheer athleticism of Grothe, but they are alot safer options in general. Grothe has a serious X-factor, a bit like Matty Bowen. To access his true potential, you are going to accept his sometimes apparent clumsiness with his hands, or slow reads in defence. It takes alot of coaching to improve a players defence, look at Amos Roberts. He was a turnstyle at Panthers, but at Roosters he has steadily improved his defence, & only had very few tries scored down his side this year. It does help to have a natural understanding of your centre though, especially with defensive reads. Roberts scored less & conceded more tries outside Cross, but outside his close mate Soliola (whose style compliments Amos), both flourish. Who knows why Ricky shifted him away. But that said, its hard to compare the players. As i said, Grothe has it won for sheer athleticism, but his defence, handling & co-ordination with his centre aren't as good as they could be, which is why he will never be as good as his dad.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The Mack said:
Joel Monaghan =D.

LOL, seriously, Grothe has the skill to be better than all of them, similar to Vatuvei & Tame Tupou. Big, strong, fast, but awful defence/handling. Richards & Rooney probaby didn't have the sheer athleticism of Grothe, but they are alot safer options in general. Grothe has a serious X-factor, a bit like Matty Bowen. To access his true potential, you are going to accept his sometimes apparent clumsiness with his hands, or slow reads in defence. It takes alot of coaching to improve a players defence, look at Amos Roberts. He was a turnstyle at Panthers, but at Roosters he has steadily improved his defence, & only had very few tries scored down his side this year. It does help to have a natural understanding of your centre though, especially with defensive reads. Roberts scored less & conceded more tries outside Cross, but outside his close mate Soliola (whose style compliments Amos), both flourish. Who knows why Ricky shifted him away. But that said, its hard to compare the players. As i said, Grothe has it won for sheer athleticism, but his defence, handling & co-ordination with his centre aren't as good as they could be, which is why he will never be as good as his dad.

I agree. But then...How many people will ever be as good as Eric Senior? He was something special, that bloke.

Eric Junior is prone to stupidity, but check out some of the tries he's scored and you'll see why so many Eels fans love him lol.

I remember in 2004 he jumped up, caught a bomb on his own 20 metre line, and sprinted 80 metres down the field to score a long-distance try. Magical. Simply...Magical.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Grothe, c'mon please people....Richards in pretty good but consistently Grothe is the most dynamic winger in the game. His natural speed and strength is just amazing.

Eric Grothe snr was the best winger i ever saw, his son has all his attributes including that trademark fend and injury problems.

Rooney? bahahahahah he was sh*t 3 years ago aswell!!!! funny what a premiership can do.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
yy_cheng said:
How many does Wayne Pearce have?

hahahahaha OWNED!!!!!!!!

And what about Steve Rogers, ET, Siro, Roach etc

Hell even Luke Rooney has a premiership ring OMFG!!!!!!!!

D

Deleted member 10972

Eelementary said:
I agree. But then...How many people will ever be as good as Eric Senior? He was something special, that bloke.

Eric Junior is prone to stupidity, but check out some of the tries he's scored and you'll see why so many Eels fans love him lol.

I remember in 2004 he jumped up, caught a bomb on his own 20 metre line, and sprinted 80 metres down the field to score a long-distance try. Magical. Simply...Magical.

Thats why you have to sometimes find the balance. The Kiwi's have two wingers in the similar mould in Tame Tupou & Manu Vatuvei, who can go the field & are big units, but have similarly bad hands & poor defensive reads. A team with one of them is okay, but two would struggle. Grothe is a risk & an asset. To love his good points, you have to accept his shortcomings. Us Chookies fans accepted that Morley & Crocker would at least miss about 6-7 games per season suspended, yet we took it into account & cherished them for their better qualities. All in the game of footy :D