What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eric grothe

Hurriflatch

Referee
Just on positioning there were a few times when Reddy was yelling at Grothe to stay on his wing but Grothe kept on coming in

REddy is far from blameless for the problems that come down that side with that pairing but he is also far from the main cause

hybrideel

Bench
so 1 try in 2 games then. can't count the Anasta try as it wasn't right on the wing was it?
that i can handle. you can never expect then to stop every try. Is it a coincidence then that with Benny next to Grothe only i try gets through in 160 minutes.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Bring in Tautai, dont know why he's dropped but he's pretty good in attack and definsively, well he stays on his wing.

Reddy is a good player but I dont think he is ready.

still I would have

2. Tautai
3. Inu
4. Hayne
5. Reddy/Grothe

Hurriflatch

Referee
No one is denying that when Benny is there he covers Grothes defensive incompetence but a player shouldn't be picked if he needs another player to have even a half decent game.

Sure a lot pf players play better when someone else is in the team as well but very few have such a big gap between their performances if said player is or isn't there then Grothe.

Maybe it needs to be that every game Ben missing via injury, suspension or whatever in those games Grothe automatically plays for Wenty

Glenn

First Grade
I can't see what TT offers apart from defense, nothing special was shown in attack in his games in FG and hands like a block of concrete.

eel4life

Juniors
My brother in law wanted to watch the game cause he missed it and to tell you the truth, i am more gutted watching it a second time ...

A better fullback could of saved us 2 times last night, and they are both the last tries scored ...

hindy had lockyer coverd, mateo could of stayed with the number 6 who scored anyway instead of swan diving for the winger who was covered by burt ...

a faster more agressive player would of smashed the winger well before he got to the line ...

HevyDevy

Coach
I can't see what TT offers apart from defense, nothing special was shown in attack in his games in FG and hands like a block of concrete.

Well he did run for around 150 metres a few times.

He's no superstar but he is solid.

My backline:

1. Hayne
2. Reddy
3. Inu
4. Smith
5. Grothe

I've been VERY critical of Reddy in the past and deservedly so but as a winger he is actually quite decent. It's amazing that a player can be so terrible in the centres and 1000 times better on the wing, but that's Reddy.

It's no coincidence that Grothe's best games this year have been when he has NOT been partnered with Reddy.

strider

Post Whore
mind you - benny and grothe seemed to go through a **** defensive period in the latter parts of last year also

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Surely Inu can move onto the wing for last tackle plays in the opposition 20m. All it takes is some communication and understanding between him and his winger.

Defensively he'd be a better asset in the centres.

stuke

Bench
he is one expensive winger...we need him closer to the action. last year when we had him in the centres it didn't stop him getting involved in last tackle kicks.

A backline of :
1. Hayne
2. Reddy/Burt
3. INU
4. Smith
5. Grothe
looks a lot more defensively sound and also puts our two most attacking weapons in a position where they should be able to get more involved.

eel4life

Juniors
only reason i have grothe in is because i am a mess ... and i think he is better when ben smith is in the team ..

Parra Guru

Coach
No one is denying that when Benny is there he covers Grothes defensive incompetence but a player shouldn't be picked if he needs another player to have even a half decent game.

Sure a lot pf players play better when someone else is in the team as well but very few have such a big gap between their performances if said player is or isn't there then Grothe.

Maybe it needs to be that every game Ben missing via injury, suspension or whatever in those games Grothe automatically plays for Wenty

What a load of sh*t. How about halves combinations???

I won't complain if he gets a stint for the maggies but I felt sorry for him last night. It was a touch of brilliance from Lockyer that WON Brisbane the game. And Eric wasn't bunched up in field, as we've been saying, the defensive problem is starting about 3 or 4 in field.

Hurriflatch

Referee
AS an example Finch plays well enough if Mateo is at 5/8 or if he is at 5/8 and Tim is half or if Keating is 5/8.

Sure the best pairing has been Finch and Mateo but it's not like there is total shi* if there is a different pairing

the only way Grothe even plays competently is if Ben is there

Ant

Juniors
Yeah I agree with that last comment that Grothe's style of defence is much better suited with Ben Smith in the side. Both smith and grothe rush up and in, much more in unison. Reddy tends to slide most of the time.

You know to be honest watching the game I thought Eric had a shocker, but I went back and watched the tape and I'd have to say its hard to label a heap of blame when 3 of the 4 tries he had 2 or 3 guys against 1. I think Grothe was directly to blame for brisbane's 3rd try but the rest were not his fault.

We have had a problem all year with our defence outwide on both sides. I tend to think at times Reddy and Grothe have been singled out, where I would argue Hayne has been just as poor. Same goes for TT when he was playing.

In fact I would argue that Hayne was directly responsible for 2 tries last night. Between he and Inu neither could stop Hodges on a solo run, he just beat Hayne left him clutching then ran over Inu. The 2nd time Hayne came flying up and missed everyone leaving Inu to deal with 2 on 1, and to make matters worse Hayne just jogged back when if he sprinted he could have got back into the play and maybe stopped Stagg from scoring.

I agree Guru makes some crazy decisions in defence, no doubt but in general I think our outside backs poor defence have been down to.
- lack of defencive pressure in the middle, our guys seem to often be faced with 2 or 3 on 1 out wide, it comes from the quick play the balls in the middle
- constant new combos this year, outside backs really need to create that defencive combo as it is the hardest place to defend in terms of decision making.

Parra won't make the finals until Grothe is axed

I won't be shocked if Parra never win another game with Grothe in the side.

Devon Kemp may have scored 4 tries but Eric made it very very easy even I could've scored at least 2 of them

Hey HIV maybe we should throw you in as a winger then lol you'd at least be better replacement than Tautai

eel4life

Juniors
year is over ... we will be lucky to make the 8 ...

f**k man again i am saying ..... looks like next year ....