What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eric grothe

Avenger

Immortal
Bigfella,
Ive watched the tape twice.Have a look at the try Kemp scored to level the match up. We were on our line and it was a man against man number up. The ball comes to Locky on the left and Grothe rushes up between Kemp and the centre. Locky fires the ball across Grothe into Kemps hands and he falls over the line for a try.
A great ball from locky ? Yeah it was good but not better than I have seen a hundred times on the touch footy field. When the ball sails across Grothe he knows he stuffs up and held his head.
It was a B grade play from someone who should have known better. If it was a winger who made an honest mistake we would say - Ok lets learn from that but we are talking about an Aust rep player on good money.
Kemp is on about 80K Tops at the Broncos.
There is a time when you just have to say "Eric see you later"
He comes up with that sort of play practically every match and at the NRL level you just cant afford to carry a player like that.
Personally I like Eric but IMHO if his name wasnt Eric Grothe he would have been punted long ago. Thats the reason why he played so much reserves at the roosters.
Its time for the coaching staff to make a stand and reward the other players in the team.

and Burt is out of position and way to slow in getting to Kemp

Slick

Juniors
It isn't all Erics fault but he is a huge part of the problem.

I don't know what his issue is but he has massive potential that he just doesn't seem to care about. He is lightening quick, stupidly strong, has an awesome fend and is a top finisher basically he has the ability to be an atacking machine on the wing and he often lives up to his potential in attack.

But in defense he is hopeless and he doesn't appear to be improving at all. If it were me I would be working hard on my defense and doing my utmost to fix the issues I have, but this doesn't appear to be the case with Eric. Why? Is he lazy? Is it the coaches fault?

I don't know what the answer is with Eric, I just see a winger who could be one of the best our game has seen if only he would give 100% all the time.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Parra won't make the finals until Grothe is axed

I won't be shocked if Parra never win another game with Grothe in the side.

Devon Kemp may have scored 4 tries but Eric made it very very easy even I could've scored at least 2 of them

dazeely

First Grade
Bit too much alcohol and un-targeted venom in this thread. Grothe was poor in defence, in fact he may have caused a certain overpassionate Baz to pop his knee cartilage. However, Reddy and the man inside cost us just as much. We have deep seated issues on that flank.....I pray for Benny's return, I really do. Put it this way....if Hindy could catch, we win, yet I see no "Hindy is a genius" threads...

On the positive side, Inu was fantastic......

or Oakey plays to the whistle and wraps up Lockyer from dummy half with 4 seconds remaining. Extra time here we come

stuke

Bench
or Oakey plays to the whistle and wraps up Lockyer from dummy half with 4 seconds remaining. Extra time here we come

that last play the ball was an absoloute schamozzle! would have liked the video ref to have been called upon to see if anything went on in there.

still doesn't excuse it though, Parra should have shut it all down before Lockyer got his kick away.

bartman

Immortal
I still can't believe we are choosing not to re-sign Chad Robinson, he's got at least two good years in him yet...

Defensively, the back row cupboard is looking a bit bare next year imo, unless Ben Smith converts and becomes a forward tackling machine to make up for the loss of the Chad?

Stagger eel

Staff member
We are letting a guy like Chad robinson go and tony williams to keep grothe ... yaaaaayyyyyyy parrra we re-signed him on a 3 year deal woooooooooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo and we also have lowrie yay ....

eric great retention,

we re-signed Grothe mid way through 2006, why has it taken you 2 years to whinge about it??

isn't it funny how everyone's expert after the fact??

El Diablo

Post Whore
we re-signed Grothe mid way through 2006, why has it taken you 2 years to whinge about it??

we re-signed him last year :(

http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200704/1891225.htm?nsw
Grothe signs new deal with Eels
Thursday, 5 April 2007. 17:35 (AEDT)

Blockbusting winger Eric Grothe has re-signed with the Parramatta Eels for another three years.

Grothe, who was rumoured to be weighing up a shift to rugby union after meeting with Wallabies coach John Connolly earlier in the year, has committed to the club until the end of the 2010 season.

Since making his debut for the Eels in 1999, Grothe has played 77 NRL matches, including 11 for the Roosters in 2002 and 2003.

Grothe, the son of legendary Parramatta and Australian winger Eric Grothe senior, had a stellar season in 2006 which included three State of Origin matches for New South Wales.

He has yet to play a match for the Eels this season after struggling to overcome an ankle injury, but has been named in the side to take on Canberra on Saturday night.

ParraManiac

Juniors
bigfella you are right about his inside support, but if he had half a brain he would stay on his man no matter what, and yell out to Reddy to get across. Reddys positioning was laughable, but Grothe lets him get away with it by not doing his job. Kemp had way too much speed for Grothe to give him that latitude. But at the end of the day no matter who is inside Grothe he will still rush up and **** up! Just take a look at the St George game.

HevyDevy

Coach
Given that Grothe can play the game, I suggest that he either spends some time with Wenty to regain some confidence or at the very least is partnered with a solid defensive centre.

Now, I didn't watch the game last night thank **** so feel free to correct me, but from earlier in the season most of his so-called ****-ups were actually due to Reddy's poor defensive reads inside him.

As much as JTB has crapped on all season about him, Reddy was the greater liability.

Everyone here knows that partnering those two together is a recipe for disaster.

hybrideel

Bench
it's all Burts fault for missing the kicks.
Sorry had to get something in here and i think everything that could possible be said about Grothe has.
One question though. the game Benny played, how many tries were scored down Grothes wing?

Eelementary

Post Whore
eric grothe is a virus to our team and he needs to be axed...if his poor reading in defence hasnt cost us 15-20 tries this year then i will start supporting the dogs!!!!

What's stopping you? Good riddance and good luck in Canterbury.

Stagger eel

Staff member
it's all Burts fault for missing the kicks.
Sorry had to get something in here and i think everything that could possible be said about Grothe has.
One question though. the game Benny played, how many tries were scored down Grothes wing?

Anasta scored a try when he side stepped Finch and Ben, then Ben ent off straight after that.

spiderdan

Bench
will be interesting to see if grothe now drops himself to wenty.

first try you can't blame him for. a perfect kick and kemp is freaking quick. he let in another when he came in for a shoulder charge. eric must be the only person that hasn't realised that his shoulder charges just don't work and seem to almost always leak point.

personally, if ben smith is unavailable i would shift wagon to the centres purely because of defence and reddy to the wing. otherwise smith should be there.

strider

Post Whore
i think there was one try down that side against the dragons - where cooper ran past ben

btw - i think anasta side stepped finch and wags and ben only got to him as he dove over for the try .... ben had already been limping for 10 mins before that