What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ESL now ahead of the NRL

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
Of the two GF's over the weekend, the Brits haven finally caught up and even overtaken the Aussie game at last. The sensational game at Old Trafford was such a contrast to the dull one side affair today.

I sense a rival of the British game is at hand. The WCC needs to be played over here.

JB

Juniors
As a spectacle? Without a doubt.

Quality of comp? NRL for mine. Still the toughest.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
It's closer than a lot of people think, but the NRL is still tougher due to the evenness of the teams.

Plus the NRL is full of players from the same continent, the ESL has about as many English players as the EPL (and they wonder why England suck at everything! :lol:)

Angry_eel

First Grade
We'll see how the England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland perform at the world cups, if they all do well i might agree that their game is improving.

Of the two GF's over the weekend, the Brits haven finally caught up and even overtaken the Aussie game at last. The sensational game at Old Trafford was such a contrast to the dull one side affair today.

I sense a rival of the British game is at hand. The WCC needs to be played over here.

Last year was the same in that regard for Grand Finals. As has few other years in the last decade.

It's been competing hard, the toughness of the ESL must be one reason players are going over, I love watching it, as I love watching the NRL.

The WCC needs to be here, I want to see an ESL team in flight, like the Leeds Rhinos.

P.J.

Juniors
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAA

POOPER LEAGUE!!! HAAHAHAHAHAHA, ohhhhh, my sides....

Hanscholo

Bench
We will see just how good Europe is when they get over here, and id say they will get lapped as usual.

The game out here is going thru a defensive slump, its something that happens when tactics catch up to skill and ability. It wont last.

Nook

Bench
Games between the top SL teams are usually better to watch, mostly because they throw is around a bit (as we saw in the Leeds-Saints GF).

The top SL teams would be right up there in the NRL I reckon. Saints and Leeds are clearly better teams than the beaten NRL semi finalists.

On paper you'd be hard pressed to say Manly were a better team than either Saints or Leeds (although as we saw today 'on paper' doesn't count for all that much).

Difference is largely a matter of depth I reckon, which is understandable given differences in player numbers.

Nook

Bench
We will see just how good Europe is when they get over here, and id say they will get lapped as usual.

Last time they were here it was 1-all between Aus and GB.

With a couple of exceptions the tests between Aus and GB have been remarkably close for years.

Last time they were here it was 1-all between Aus and GB.

With a couple of exceptions the tests between Aus and GB have been remarkably close for years.

Exactly, agree with you there Nook.
Other than 2002, such spectacles to see, especially 2003-2004 when, in four straight matches it took until the last five minutes for the match to be won.

So many unpredictable players over there, can't wait to see them here. The home crowd wont secure a Roos victory this time around.

Nook

Bench
Usually Grand Finalists are better than Semi Finalists...

No argument there. I reckon Saints v Storm, Leeds v Manly would have provided closer semis though...

The world cup game in Melbourne should be interesting. With GB/England you always feel like the Roos are a try away from breaking the game open and putting a stack of points on, but they usually manage to hang in, and when the forwards fire they can really dominate. With Burrow, Pryce in the halves, experienced centres, Roby at 9 and a good pack they are looking pretty good. Roos backline will be awesome but the Poms will match us up the middle I reckon.

No argument there. I reckon Saints v Storm, Leeds v Manly would have provided closer semis though...

The world cup game in Melbourne should be interesting. With GB/England you always feel like the Roos are a try away from breaking the game open and putting a stack of points on, but they usually manage to hang in, and when the forwards fire they can really dominate. With Burrow, Pryce in the halves, experienced centres, Roby at 9 and a good pack they are looking pretty good. Roos backline will be awesome but the Poms will match us up the middle I reckon.

Indeed, even Wigan up against one of them would be interesting, they played alot of good footy.

I love how you described that; even when you thought Australia was on top by alot, with a close margin, you can never count England out.

Damn I can't wait to see them here.

A better game does not mean anything other than the top two teams were closer on ability.The Rhinos like any other team would have been fodder today.

westie

Bench
I disagree. Leeds have the quality in the pack and kicking game to beat sides with better flair. They are very similar to Manly and I am sure it would have been a much closer much... even if it might have been a slugfest.

I disagree. Leeds have the quality in the pack and kicking game to beat sides with better flair. They are very similar to Manly and I am sure it would have been a much closer much... even if it might have been a slugfest.
Which is my point,we love an arm wrestle(pardon the pun).We would grind them down and run away in the back end.I just hope we prepare well for the WCC ,that trophy is due back down under.

Jasdragon

Juniors
Games between the top SL teams are usually better to watch, mostly because they throw is around a bit (as we saw in the Leeds-Saints GF).

The top SL teams would be right up there in the NRL I reckon. Saints and Leeds are clearly better teams than the beaten NRL semi finalists.

On paper you'd be hard pressed to say Manly were a better team than either Saints or Leeds (although as we saw today 'on paper' doesn't count for all that much).

Difference is largely a matter of depth I reckon, which is understandable given differences in player numbers.

:crazy::lol:

***MH***

Bench
This is why we need the WCC soon after the ESL and NRL finals. Both sides would be running off high from their emotions and the match will mean more than just a pre season trial, in which Australian sides have been treating it lately.

Latest posts