What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Euan Aitken

possm

Coach
I understand a certain important person at the Dragons feels that Aitken has reached his peak, so his position must in doubt.
The same person is more than happy with Lafai, so he looks safe.
CC

Lafai may be safe while Mary is coach and if Mann is given a release. There is no pressure on Lafai right now because there is no backup alternative. SGI should sign a left centre/fullback to replace Lafai and be a backup for Dufty.

BLM01

First Grade
I struggle to comprehend how our coach, as a former top level centre three quarter cannot teach Aitken the skill of draw & pass. And then you have tin man on the other side that cannot stop drawing & passing to the wrong bloke.
I feel sorry already for our 2 new wingers....they won't see much ball except for hit ups.
haha. Tin Man, he usually tries to the leave the pass to the very last second and needs to flick it or have a swarm around him...so invariably finds the ground or the winger has over ran him, gone inside or not there...although McDonald was notorious for being out of position.!!!
Aitken is a ball runner...in training you can get him to pass the ball as much as you like. With his game day head on his natural instincts take over.."I will run over, around or through you"
That leopold......no coaching can change.
Josh Morris is exactly the same except....better defender and step..
Jennings too but he had real speed and power

I don't understand all the crap our supporters, majority of, put on Aitken. He is still young for a 1st grader, still improving his game, and his poor form was only due to injury. He was mentioned as a possible for SOO this year by guys who know more about footy talent than us. Yet, most of you want to cut him. He has strength, he has power, he is quick, he has passed the ball to a support before. Maybe his defence is lacking a little, but it is no worse than half of the centres who played first grade this year with all clubs. There are only a handful of centres with impeccable defensive skills. I dont think Euan and Nightie was good combo to defend together on the right side this year, and I blame someone else for that, not Euan.

I would still pick Lomax over him at right centre for 2019, but with our shortage of experience in the backs, the last thing we need is to cut a player with the ability to attack like Aitken does. Play him on the left, if need be. Try Lomax on the left, maybe. I do wonder how many games Lomax gets in, or many tries he lets in, before all you experts call for the club to sell him.

Thankfully the recruitment team know what it is all about and don't listen to you. Otherwise we would either fail to field 17 every week, or we would be able to name a Kangaroo team every week.

Old Timer

Coach
I don't understand all the crap our supporters, majority of, put on Aitken. He is still young for a 1st grader, still improving his game, and his poor form was only due to injury. He was mentioned as a possible for SOO this year by guys who know more about footy talent than us. Yet, most of you want to cut him. He has strength, he has power, he is quick, he has passed the ball to a support before. Maybe his defence is lacking a little, but it is no worse than half of the centres who played first grade this year with all clubs. There are only a handful of centres with impeccable defensive skills. I dont think Euan and Nightie was good combo to defend together on the right side this year, and I blame someone else for that, not Euan.

I would still pick Lomax over him at right centre for 2019, but with our shortage of experience in the backs, the last thing we need is to cut a player with the ability to attack like Aitken does. Play him on the left, if need be. Try Lomax on the left, maybe. I do wonder how many games Lomax gets in, or many tries he lets in, before all you experts call for the club to sell him.

Thankfully the recruitment team know what it is all about and don't listen to you. Otherwise we would either fail to field 17 every week, or we would be able to name a Kangaroo team every week.
The myth of Aitken & SOO selection was predicated on the one moment against Inglis other than that nothing of substance.
Lomax showed more in a couple of games than Aitken has shown in several seasons.
If the scribes are right and he is actually a LC and will be able to catch, draw & pass then that is his only chance but we all know that will not come to pass as under current arrangements Lafai is indesposable.

ALSGI

Bench

Agree.

This time last year we (me included) were talking the same thing then he came out firing and played really well for the first third of the year. Don’t know what hapened after that?

He is a weapon in attack anywhere in the opposition half. Could improve with a passing game and his defence. I’d like to see him replace Lafai on the left, Lomax on the right.

Surely both Aitken and Lafai have to be looking over their shoulders though and there will be pressure to perform with Lomax ready.

BLM01

First Grade

Dorothy I mostly agree with your sentiments as I too rated Aitken as a future gun when he burst on the scene 3-4 years ago. Now we are saying the same about Lomax but he has more defensive skills in taking high balls etc, steps off both feet and is naturally more gifted than Aitken
Aitken is approaching mid 20's I think and has those attacking power strengths and speed. But we can only judge him on his most recent stuff, Defensive issues, bombing tries from not passing it and injury..all mixed in with the good stuff.
Maybe you are right, try him as left centre and drop Lafai but Lafai has better attacking and maybe just better defensive skills than Aitken. Tough call that one but would not whinge about trying that.
1st grade is a tough school and sometimes injury cruells careers (you said so yourself..poor form due to injury) and we are harsh on him but 3 does not go into 2 and we will suffer if we bum Lomax around.
Of course we are not Dragons recruitment but some of us on this forum here have either played the game, still involved in the game with players today in some shape or form, or both at lower levels and whilst we are not good enough to work for the Dragons still understand and know the game, even though it is changed dramatically in the last 15-20 yrs.
My opinion for its 5c worth on this forum is I see more potential in Lomax than either of our other centres.

possm

Coach
I struggle to comprehend how our coach, as a former top level centre three quarter cannot teach Aitken the skill of draw & pass. And then you have tin man on the other side that cannot stop drawing & passing to the wrong bloke.
I feel sorry already for our 2 new wingers....they won't see much ball except for hit ups.
Look I used to be a big fan of Aitken but once he started to just hog the ball and run and when he started to run up out of the defensive line and miss everything leaving a big hole and often gifting a try to the opposition he lost me.

To be fair, it may not be all his fault and under a new coach maybe he could be a good centre. I would not be surprised that his defensive lapses are as a result of not being able to carry out instructions from the coach.

Remember just because you were a top first grade player - and in the case centre - does not mean you turn into a good coach / teacher. Mary was a top centre but in my opinion is not a coach of first grade standard.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I really cant believe this "Aitken is only young, he will improve" crap.
In 2016, 2017, 2018 and now again heading into 2019 season, the same excuse gets rolled out, "he's only young, yadayadayada!!!"
He's turning 24 yrs old, still devoid of the simple skills required of a top class centre. Yeah, he makes some barnstorming runs, but too often those runs lead to the ball dying, instead of draw passing to an unmarked winger.
He simply is just a younger version of Paul Gallen.
However, with all players who don the big red V, i will extend a botd to him, seeing he has stated off-season surgeries have "fixed" his problems. This remains to be seen of course.
We have an F1 vehicle waiting to roar, I just hope we dont leave it in the garage in favour of the Hummer.

Old Timer

Coach
In 2016, 2017, 2018 and now again heading into 2019 season, the same excuse gets rolled out, "he's only young, yadayadayada!!!"
He's turning 24 yrs old, still devoid of the simple skills required of a top class centre. Yeah, he makes some barnstorming runs, but too often those runs lead to the ball dying, instead of draw passing to an unmarked winger.
However, with all players who don the big red V, i will extend a botd to him, seeing he has stated off-season surgeries have "fixed" his problems. This remains to be seen of course.
We have an F1 vehicle waiting to roar, I just hope we dont leave it in the garage in favour of the Hummer.
German Tiger Tank me thinks.

Old Timer

Coach
Agree.

This time last year we (me included) were talking the same thing then he came out firing and played really well for the first third of the year. Don’t know what hapened after that?

He is a weapon in attack anywhere in the opposition half. Could improve with a passing game and his defence. I’d like to see him replace Lafai on the left, Lomax on the right.

Surely both Aitken and Lafai have to be looking over their shoulders though and there will be pressure to perform with Lomax ready.
Yep they both looked over their shoulders and saw Mc Fookknuckle and then breathed a sigh of relief.
He's got their backs big time.

I think the real issue is the time he has already spent in FG.
He has had nearly 4 seasons to sort out his deficiencies and lock down a permanent spot in the St. George backline.
In fact, he should have no complaints at all because he has always been preferred and promoted by McGregor.
I think Aitkin has been given every opportunity to develop into a top line centre and has not improved much since he started.
So rather than talk about "all the crap" that our supporters dish up, at what point in time does the club draw a line in the ledger and provide a different solution?
Aitkin can be summed up very simply and it has been covered ad nauseum by other posters.
1. He is a dynamic ball runner but a ball hog.
2. He does not have the awareness or skill set to set up his winger.
3. He is a defensive liability - you can rationalize the pairing with Nightingale all you like but that is just a fact.
4. He is susceptible to a good opposition kicking game whether its a bomb or a kick in behind.
I think everyone has wanted to see Aitkin succeed.
It just hasn't happened.

Last edited:
Umm, I did say I would pick Lomax over him. I just think 24 is a bit young to be throwing someone on the scrap heap. He still shows signs of ability, and to just discard him when we are lacking outside backs is ridiculous.

I reckon we are still going to see the best of him to come. I just hope it is in the red V, and not some other gay jersey.

ALSGI

Bench
Yep they both looked over their shoulders and saw Mc Fookknuckle and then breathed a sigh of relief.
He's got their backs big time.
Mate I have no doubts Aitken and Lafai will start in Round 1, but surely Mary/Young/Hornby will realise they have better options if they don’t perform ie Lomax, Mann and even Pierera and Pearson have played centre.
Anyway, hoping EA comes out firing as he did this year and maintains form this time.

possm

Coach
I think the real issue is the time he has already spent in FG.
He has had nearly 4 seasons to sort out his deficiencies and lock down a permanent spot in the St. George backline.
In fact, he should have no complaints at all because he has always been preferred and promoted by McGregor.
I think Aitkin has been given every opportunity to develop into a top line centre and has not improved much since he started.
So rather than talk about "all the crap" that our supporters dish up, at what point in time does the club draw a line in the ledger and provide a different solution?
Aitkin can be summed up very simply and it has been covered ad nauseum by other posters.
1. He is a dynamic ball runner but a ball hog.
2. He does not have the awareness or skill set to set up his winger.
3. He is a defensive liability - you can rationalize the pairing with Nightingale all you like but that is just a fact.
4. He is susceptible to a good opposition kicking game whether its a bomb or a kick in behind.
I think everyone has wanted to see Aitkin succeed.
It just hasn't happened.

The real problem is that Millward signed him long term when the Club only needed to sign him and Lafai short term.

possm

Coach
Umm, I did say I would pick Lomax over him. I just think 24 is a bit young to be throwing someone on the scrap heap. He still shows signs of ability, and to just discard him when we are lacking outside backs is ridiculous.

I reckon we are still going to see the best of him to come. I just hope it is in the red V, and not some other gay jersey.

Players who show signs of ability are best suited to ISP football. Once they show ability on a regular basis they may find themselves selected in the NRL team.

slippery5

Juniors
The myth of Aitken & SOO selection was predicated on the one moment against Inglis other than that nothing of substance.
Lomax showed more in a couple of games than Aitken has shown in several seasons.
If the scribes are right and he is actually a LC and will be able to catch, draw & pass then that is his only chance but we all know that will not come to pass as under current arrangements Lafai is indesposable.
Exactamondo

nontime111

Juniors
the best hope for Eui is to keep doing what he does, steamroll, that is a type of centre, but hed have to get much better at it to justify his spot with that one style I think, if he does come out and fires id go with him and Lomax as I think theyre still our 2 best hopes at centre with our roster