What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everything is pointing towards a premiership 2018

slippery5

Juniors
I, like others, have been given some hope this year, I'm enjoying the ride now & although the side is not perfect to what I would like in selections etc, I'm on the bus & happy to be the conductor as you get on at each stop & if there is a cinderella story I will have been enjoying the ride since it departed & not just get ting on at the final stop.
Hell, I might as well be the driver.

giboz71

First Grade
It’s unrealistc to think sides can win the premiership every year. Roosters have only won once in 15 years, Broncos have only won once in 17 years. Storm have won 2 legal comps in 18 years.

Given those 3 clubs are universally regarded as the wealthiest and most successful, that’s not a great strike rate in terms of winning titles.

The thing they are good at however is being contenders every year and keep their fans engaged all season. That is something we’ve been poor at consistently.

It’s almost July and we are taking about top 4 or top 8. Too many times we’re already talking about next year at this point of the season which is shit. I’d hate to be a Parra, Dogs or Cows fan now who have to sit through the rest of the season watching other teams fight it out.

I’m just happy that this won’t likely be us this year.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I was at both 77 & 79 gf's & I can tell you I'm basing my opinion on the spine & back row, in 77 we had a 3ft tall halfback, ordinary 6 ( think it was McGregor ?) who could tackle around the ankles but thats all, & lord Ted (one of my faves) at fullback, he was good at chipping over the top for himself but really did not possess the speed & ball playing that Dufty is showing, Edge was the Hooker but those days you were rated on your ability to win the ball & I think McInnes would sh-t all over Edge with his speed & defence ability. In 79 we had Slippery Morris with his speed but that is all, hence he was shifted to the wing in later years, Jonson was fullback & was good, but again the explosive speed of Dufty gets my selection.
Our halves are far superior to anything we have played in those positions before.
Don't start me comparing any of the 80's or 90's, did they have a 11&3 after playing 14 games? they are why we took 30 yrs to win another GF.
My opinion & I'm sticking by it. LOL
I saw Brian Johnson at fullback and still rate him the best fullback that Saints have had since I have followed them. I didn't see much of Morris at halfback. I think Shulman was the halfback you were talking about who tackled around the ankles.

Gareth67

First Grade
Your ever so right in that respect gizboz71 - about sitting back at this stage of the competition knowing that your team shall not be there . All the hope their respective fans
had for this year have gone down the drain in a huge way , more so the Cowboys - who would had thought ? But as you have said it a lovely feeling to know that the Dragons will be in the semi's this season and also have a good chance of going a long way .

slippery5

Juniors
I saw Brian Johnson at fullback and still rate him the best fullback that Saints have had since I have followed them. I didn't see much of Morris at halfback. I think Shulman was the halfback you were talking about who tackled around the ankles.
Yes F.F Shulman also none as Bantam. I get your opinion on Jonson but I don't recall him having such a impact on so few of games when he came into 1st grade as Dufty had as all salivating over.
Just a side note: Johnson was PE teacher at Westfields sports high & coached the footy side, when our school played them I would play out of my skin hoping he would mention my name to Frank Facer.

blacksafake

First Grade
It’s unrealistc to think sides can win the premiership every year. Roosters have only won once in 15 years, Broncos have only won once in 17 years. Storm have won 2 legal comps in 18 years.

Given those 3 clubs are universally regarded as the wealthiest and most successful, that’s not a great strike rate in terms of winning titles.

The thing they are good at however is being contenders every year and keep their fans engaged all season. That is something we’ve been poor at consistently.

It’s almost July and we are taking about top 4 or top 8. Too many times we’re already talking about next year at this point of the season which is shit. I’d hate to be a Parra, Dogs or Cows fan now who have to sit through the rest of the season watching other teams fight it out.

Well said Giboz71

Well said.

Old Timer

Coach
The player was Rod Mc Gregor who played 5/8
Interesting and gutsy player who ran with his head tilted to one side and was a
copy book tackler who hit them around the thighs and slid down and snapped their ankles together.
Might have played 1 state game (pre SOO) if not mistaken.

Frank Facer

First Grade
The player was Rod Mc Gregor who played 5/8
Interesting and gutsy player who ran with his head tilted to one side and was a
copy book tackler who hit them around the thighs and slid down and snapped their ankles together.
Might have played 1 state game (pre SOO) if not mistaken.
Yeah, the name Mc Gregor rings a bell, I recall an old Saints fan talking about him years ago. I think he was a fan of Rod McGregor too.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
If the Dragons pick in form players they
will have a good chance of winning the Premiership. Out of form players should not be in the team or on the bench. I would suggest that Herbert, Host and Robson have been in good form and Lomax has potential and should all be considered if others are out of form. Pereira has scored a lot of tries but seems to also make a few mistakes.

ouryears

Bench
I, like others, have been given some hope this year, I'm enjoying the ride now & although the side is not perfect to what I would like in selections etc, I'm on the bus & happy to be the conductor as you get on at each stop & if there is a cinderella story I will have been enjoying the ride since it departed & not just get ting on at the final stop.
Hell, I might as well be the driver.
Doesn't make anyone less of a fan if they support and love the team but still believe it's a long shot for us to win the comp.

It's an opinion, yours, theirs... and they are as much a supporter as anyone else.

Saying they are only on the band wagon at the end just because they are doubtful that the team will win the whole thing reeks of arrogance.

Old Timer

Coach
Didn't you have us missing the top 8 at the start of the season? If we win the minor premiership, then we have well and truly progressed. Even if we make the top 4 we have well and truly progressed. lol

Playing semi finals football will provide us with a better foundation for next year. So will our players playing origin this year and most likely next year too. At the start of this season, I didn't think we were genuine premiership contenders, but I was hoping that we could be genuine premiership contenders next year. Maybe we are genuine premiership contenders? Maybe I was wrong at the start of the year? You definitely were wrong at the start of the year. lol
Interesting how you interpret some posts.
Indeed before a ball was kicked off I did have us either just missing or just falling into the 8.
After 15 rounds 6 points separates top to bottom of the eight and and only 4 points between 1st and 5th so I suggest we need to wait a little while as to exactly where we finish in the 8.
For sure I have enjoyed many games this year and for sure I found some games diabolical even though we managed a win and for sure I felt aggrieved by the nature of a couple of the losses.
From here if we were to fall from the top 2 then I think something is wrong and if we drop from the top 4 I would consider it a fail and I say that on the basis that if the improvement you and others keep heralding is in fact true then to drop down the ladder would mean we went backwards at a critical stage yet again like we have in previous years despite early season good form.
So many want to put the cart before the horse on the basis that they covert every week more than the bigger picture.
The regular season is the ultimate preamble to the biggest gig in town the semi finals and then the GF.
If we fail to win and games in the semi then I find it delusional for you to think the team has exceeded my expectations.
If we do win and go through to the big day then I will be more than happy to say my predictions and fears have been well and truly allayed by the competency of the team and the coaching staff.

slippery5

Juniors
Doesn't make anyone less of a fan if they support and love the team but still believe it's a long shot for us to win the comp.

It's an opinion, yours, theirs... and they are as much a supporter as anyone else.

Saying they are only on the band wagon at the end just because they are doubtful that the team will win the whole thing reeks of arrogance.
I might be miss understood, what I'm saying is, I want to get as much joy for as long as possible to be possibly let down, but if we win, I'll be glad I've been enjoying the celebrations for an extended period. Other people can do what they like.

slippery5

Juniors
Interesting how you interpret some posts.
Indeed before a ball was kicked off I did have us either just missing or just falling into the 8.
After 15 rounds 6 points separates top to bottom of the eight and and only 4 points between 1st and 5th so I suggest we need to wait a little while as to exactly where we finish in the 8.
For sure I have enjoyed many games this year and for sure I found some games diabolical even though we managed a win and for sure I felt aggrieved by the nature of a couple of the losses.
From here if we were to fall from the top 2 then I think something is wrong and if we drop from the top 4 I would consider it a fail and I say that on the basis that if the improvement you and others keep heralding is in fact true then to drop down the ladder would mean we went backwards at a critical stage yet again like we have in previous years despite early season good form.
So many want to put the cart before the horse on the basis that they covert every week more than the bigger picture.
The regular season is the ultimate preamble to the biggest gig in town the semi finals and then the GF.
If we fail to win and games in the semi then I find it delusional for you to think the team has exceeded my expectations.
If we do win and go through to the big day then I will be more than happy to say my predictions and fears have been well and truly allayed by the competency of the team and the coaching staff.
2 things will happen if we drop out of top 4
1. We will be out in the first game.
2. The F.wit will be sacked.

The Damo

Juniors
2 things will happen if we drop out of top 4
1. We will be out in the first game.
2. The F.wit will be sacked.
1. If we do come 5th we’ll probably play the broncos, and I’d bet good money we’d spank them in a finals match this year.
2. Doubt it, he got an extension after 2016, he’s gonna be coaching us next year regardless. We could probably lose every remaining game and he’d still be coach for 2019. At best it would mean we’d get a new coach at the end of his current contract