What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everything is pointing towards a premiership 2018

ouryears

Bench
2 things will happen if we drop out of top 4
1. We will be out in the first game.
2. The F.wit will be sacked.
Dragon's won't sack Mary.
Would have to miss the top 8.

Top 8 = Mary safe = Illawarra faction standards.

Fraid we are stuck with him.

Crush

Coach

STUCK with a coach that has his team coming 1st with 10 weeks to go until finals and on track to challenge for the premiership. STUCK with him. Yep, what a solid supporter you are.....

ouryears

Bench
STUCK with a coach that has his team coming 1st with 10 weeks to go until finals and on track to challenge for the premiership. STUCK with him. Yep, what a solid supporter you are.....

Sad man.....I know you are satisfied if we just make the 8!

We have discussed this before Crush, this time please pay attention.

You are on record saying top 8 is a pass mark!

Others, inc me, say top 4, then deep into the finals is a pass mark.

This makes you a supporter of mediocrity....you are setting up excuses for Mary.

Top 8? FMD, you are joking!
Top 8? Puhleease!

What next, 97 metre fields and ban tries from kicks?

Or perhaps fly Josh McCrone back home for a cameo?

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
I truly would like our boys in the Big Red V - and Mary to be doing a victory lap or 2 on Grand Final day , however it is such a long long way to go before then . That being the case it is too early to be even thinking about premierships .

I would not wish to put the ' mark of Cain ' on the Dragon chances . Can anyone recall how Mr. Doust made that fatal phone call to one of the Storm's head honchos and ask where he could purchase Premiership jerseys ( or something to that effect ) from in 2009 ?

Frank Facer

First Grade
To be honest. I haven't given us winning this year's premiership much thought, besides how much I will collect if we do win. lol I think winning the comp this year would be an over achievement, especially considering my hopes at the start of the season. I had us 4th pick, but wanted to see some changes to our centre's and one wing. I do recall mentioning on this site before the season kicked off that a guy I know, who is a Saints fan, said that he had backed us to win the comp (we were paying $21). Some people on this site ridiculed him and questioned his mental health. lol I wish that I had taken the $21 at the start of the season. I bet a few of you do too now?

I actually do think we are a genuine chance to win the comp. I have Souths as the team to beat now. Easts could be starting to put it together. Penrith at full strength could beat anyone. The Warriors have been pretty consistent and are a chance. Melbourne are a genuine chance and Cronulla are even a chance.

ouryears

Bench
To be honest. I haven't given us winning this year's premiership much thought, besides how much I will collect if we do win. lol I think winning the comp this year would be an over achievement, especially considering my hopes at the start of the season. I had us 4th pick, but wanted to see some changes to our centre's and one wing. I do recall mentioning on this site before the season kicked off that a guy I know, who is a Saints fan, said that he had backed us to win the comp (we were paying $21). Some people on this site ridiculed him and questioned his mental health. lol I wish that I had taken the $21 at the start of the season. I bet a few of you do too now?

I actually do think we are a genuine chance to win the comp. I have Souths as the team to beat now. Easts could be starting to put it together. Penrith at full strength could beat anyone. The Warriors have been pretty consistent and are a chance. Melbourne are a genuine chance and Cronulla are even a chance.
Spot on Frank. Balanced and respectful of other teams chances whilst still being a great Saints man.

The Damo

Juniors

Cronulla is very, very slim chance. The others absolutely.

epDragon62

First Grade
We are in with a genuine shot. Until that is no longer the case we should be excited but Crush, you need to wipe that wet spot on your pants before it becomes embarrassing.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

2018 is proving to be 'the perfect storm'.

I wonder what the Board's position would be if Saints: a. finish top four, and b. crash out in straight sets?

(Probably offer a new five/year deal while extolling McGregor as being a part of the new wave of Super Coaches...what's the bet?)

Frank Facer

First Grade
2018 is proving to be 'the perfect storm'.

I wonder what the Board's position would be if Saints: a. finish top four, and b. crash out in straight sets?

(Probably offer a new five/year deal while extolling McGregor as being a part of the new wave of Super Coaches...what's the bet?)
Did you have us finishing top 4 at the start of the season? Did you have us winning the comp at the start of the season. lol If my memory serves me correctly, you didn't even think we would make the top 8.

Funny how Grouch hasn't been seen all year either. lol

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Did you have us finishing top 4 at the start of the season? Did you have us winning the comp at the start of the season. lol If my memory serves me correctly, you didn't even think we would make the top 8.

Funny how Grouch hasn't been seen all year either. lol

Deep sigh.

No, I didn't make (with the benefit of hindsight) so many bold predictions at the start of the season.

No one did.

This year has (so far) proven to be both a surprise and a blessing.

There is one trait which I have exhibited on many occasions, which seemingly, has eluded your attention.

Reverse, reverse psychology.

Sometimes it works.

While I can't vouch for "Grouch", one thing I cannot be accused of is remaining silent.

Nope, I've been posting my life away along this cloisters with the same frequency as ever.

Sorry to disappoint.

I'd like to ask though; should Saints finish top four then crash in straight sets, would you consider the season to be a success or failure?

Frank Facer

First Grade
Deep sigh.

No, I didn't make (with the benefit of hindsight) so many bold predictions at the start of the season.

No one did.

This year has (so far) proven to be both a surprise and a blessing.

There is one trait which I have exhibited on many occasions, which seemingly, has eluded your attention.

Reverse, reverse psychology.

Sometimes it works.

While I can't vouch for "Grouch", one thing I cannot be accused of is remaining silent.

Nope, I've been posting my life away along this cloisters with the same frequency as ever.

Sorry to disappoint.

I'd like to ask though; should Saints finish top four then crash in straight sets, would you consider the season to be a success or failure?
We finish top 4 on the ladder, I will consider this season success. We have only made the 8 once since 2011. Now that is what I call failure. I am hoping for the minor premiership and then hoping that we can win it from there.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Very sensible post for which l can't fault with the exception of the Warriors.
I can never see them winning a comp for the simple fact that such a team and club, could never be consistent enough.
Its not in their makeup, nor attitude.
They can certainly play some rassle dassle but that's all for me.
They tend to go missing when the going gets tough.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
We finish top 4 on the ladder, I will consider this season success. We have only made the 8 once since 2011. Now that is what I call failure. I am hoping for the minor premiership and then hoping that we can win it from there.

Your reply is somewhat akin to a politician's answer, but I guess close enough is near enough.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Your reply is somewhat akin to a politician's answer, but I guess close enough is near enough.
If asked at the beginning of the season, if finishing in the top 4 on the ladder was considered a success, I think that everyone would have said it was a success. Many fans on this forum and many of the so called experts all had us missing the top 8. I had us 4th pick, if we blooded a couple of youngsters in the backline and they and Dufty were success stories. Things have to be put into perspective. Right now we are exceeding mine and most others expectations. Who else would have picked us to be outright leaders of the comp after round 15?

We have also had 4 players selected for origin and another 18th man and then we have had 3 players selected for the England NZ test. That gives us 7 rep players this year. At the beginning of the season, we were only expected to have 3 rep players in our team.

Keep practicing that reverse, reverse psychology. lol

Frank Facer

First Grade
Does this mean everything else you’ve said is a lie?
No it doesn't. lol

It means that I honestly haven't given us winning the comp this year much thought, besides how much I will collect. I am certainly not counting on winning the comp this year.

Now in 85, I was thinking about us winning the comp before the season started and all through the year. Same in 84.

In 2004, 2005 and 2006, I was thinking about us winning the comp before the season started and had backed us at the start of the year in each of those years. I was going for big collects each of those years and was shattered each time we got knocked out of the semi's. I was also shattered in 84 and 85.

In 2010, the year we did win the comp, I only really got confident about our chances when we got Gasnier back.

Latest posts