What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion in the next 10 years: Discussing the merits of each team

Brycey

Juniors
Possible names:

Adelaide Rams
Central Coast Bears
Mackay Diggers
West QLD Jets
PNG Kumuls
WA Reds
Redcliffe Dolphins
Sunshine Coast Falcons
Wellington Orcas

simostorm

Bench
16 teams is enough for RL IMO..if any place is to get a team it should be by relocation.

Perth Sharks

Adelaide Dragons

Wellinton Panthers

dimitri

First Grade
Possible names:

Adelaide Rams
Central Coast Bears
Mackay Diggers
West QLD Jets
PNG Kumuls
WA Reds
Redcliffe Dolphins
Sunshine Coast Falcons
Wellington Orcas

I don't think PNG should be named after the national team - if anything it should be the Vipers after their previous QLD Cup teams.

I like the idea of the Jets (perhaps build a partnership with Ipswich and Newtown).

Adeliade, CC, WA and Wellington I think would have to be those names you have given

I would like to see the Reds team call themselves 'Perth' to differentiate themselves from the western force and west coast eagles.

beave

Coach
I go to PNG once or twice a year for work, and whilst I know that the joint is league mad, it is rife with poverty, crime and malaria, god knows how a pro football side would be sustained in the country. It would have to be made up of almost 100% locals and to be quite honest, they would get lapped every week. If they tried to sign a quality player from OZ, they would be paying overs to actually get said player, god up here in NQ for years we struggled to get decent players and we live in relative paradise compared to PNG, i just don't see it happening in my lifetime. I think Perth is a must as the next team to be entered.

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
16 teams is enough for RL IMO..if any place is to get a team it should be by relocation.

Perth Sharks

Adelaide Dragons

Wellinton Panthers

I think that if they do introduce new teams it would be better as we can have a season where each team plays all the others once each to make the competition more fair,

Razor

Coach
Adelaide
Central Coast
Central QLD
Ipswich-Toowoomba-West Brisbane
Papua New Guina
Perth
Redcliffe
Sunshine Coast
Wellington

They should be admitted in the following order

1. Perth
2. Ipswich
3. Wellington
4. Redcliffe
5. Adelaide
6. Sunshine Coast
7. Central Coast

Central QLD & PNG - Never, or at least for a very long time.

There should be at least 18 teams and maybe 20-22 teams.

Moffo

Referee
we need to stop losing 25 first grade players a year to the UK before we even contemplate getting more teams

Razor

Coach
I think that if they do introduce new teams it would be better as we can have a season where each team plays all the others once each to make the competition more fair,

It isn't needed.

Look at the great success of the NFL. 32 teams, 16 rounds, and they play several teams twice. They play 3 teams twice(in their own division); And 10 teams once (4 from their own conference and 6 from the other conference). So of the 31 other teams, they only play 13 in the regular season. The teams they play rotate so each team will play another team at least once every 4 years, and at least once in their own stadium every 8 years.

The NRL could easily do that also.

Razor

Coach
we need to stop losing 25 first grade players a year to the UK before we even contemplate getting more teams

Once News f**ks off in 2017, then the NRL can start to get a reasonable amount of money for its TV rights. Then we won't lose as many players to the UK.

2 teams in 2012 / 3.

perth have to be one of those teams. they are a certainty as far as im concerned

the other is a coin toss between central coast BEARS and wellington / southern orcas.

whichever misses out gets in 2018 with another queensland team, provided they get government backing for a new stadium ala titans.

not on the thread title but 5 years after that adelaide and PNG.

22 teams is the max, playing 21 rounds, each team once.

later on id like to see teams from tonga, fiji and samoa playing in some NSWRL competition either JBC or PL to help them getting stronger, and more PNG teams in the queensland cup.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
I'd like these sides to come into the NRL

Perth
Christchurch - to develop South Island RL
Central Coast - heaps of juniors
Adelaide

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Unfortunately as much as I'd like to see two new teams in 2012 when the next rights are discussed the reality is it won't happen. Compare it to the other sports who have ALL expressed their intention to expand so as to ensure extra revenue in their next deal, and here lies the crux of the problem, expand and expect extra money, not really on News' agenda in regards to RL.

Look at the other sports;

Union (Argentina and Japan plus extra rounds)

A-League planning teams on the GC and Townsville etc

AFL - two new teams by 2012 - planning and confirmation by the league

Unfortunately all we have had is "it won't happen soon but maybe one day". The NRL is happy to let everyone else grow whilst we stand still, pathetic.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
They should be admitted in the following order

1. Perth
2. Ipswich
3. Wellington
4. Redcliffe
5. Adelaide
6. Sunshine Coast
7. Central Coast

Central QLD & PNG - Never, or at least for a very long time.

There should be at least 18 teams and maybe 20-22 teams.

I'm happy with that order, though I'd probably put Wellington at 1st spot along with Perth. Ipswich maybe a few years after that to let the Tits find their feet (though by judging from the experience of going to Skilled Park for the Broncs game it feels like they've been there forever!)

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
It isn't needed.

Look at the great success of the NFL. 32 teams, 16 rounds, and they play several teams twice. They play 3 teams twice(in their own division); And 10 teams once (4 from their own conference and 6 from the other conference). So of the 31 other teams, they only play 13 in the regular season. The teams they play rotate so each team will play another team at least once every 4 years, and at least once in their own stadium every 8 years.

The NRL could easily do that also.

Do we have confrences or divisions though?
it would be fair if we did have divisions so that way we could play each team evenly every 4 years and so we played our rivals twice once home and once away. But at present when some teams play the souths twice compared to playing the storm twice its slightly unfair.

EDIT: On top of that the nfl still has its problems aswell look at divisions like AFC SOUTH and NFC EAST as apposed to NFC SOUTH, its completely unfair that teams like the browns with a 10-6 record miss out but a team like the buccanears make it 9-7 PLUS they have an easier schudule on top of that.

Brycey

Juniors
I think in the short to medium term 20 teams max.

WA Reds - 2012
Sunshine Coast - 2012

Ipswich-West Brisbane - 2018-20
Wellington Orcas 2018-20

Other areas left to relocation imo.

Is there someone in the know from Redcliffe who can confirm they no longer aspire to enter into the NRL? I've heard rumours of this.

dimitri

First Grade
I would like to see the Reds team call themselves 'Perth' to differentiate themselves from the western force and west coast eagles.

That is why they are calling themselves the WA Reds!

To differentiate from Force, Eagles, Tigers etc!

WA is better! It encapsulates the whole state and has closer links to the original name!

The Perth Reds was their name during super league! YUCK!

Latest posts