What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion in the next 10 years: Discussing the merits of each team

Timbo

Staff member
It isn't needed.

Look at the great success of the NFL. 32 teams, 16 rounds, and they play several teams twice. They play 3 teams twice(in their own division); And 10 teams once (4 from their own conference and 6 from the other conference). So of the 31 other teams, they only play 13 in the regular season. The teams they play rotate so each team will play another team at least once every 4 years, and at least once in their own stadium every 8 years.

The NRL could easily do that also.

Look I agree an NFL style sysetem could work, in principle.

Eventually if we get out to 22/24 teams, then it's not a bad idea if we split the competition into two conferences.

But this is decades away, in my opinion.

As much as I'd like to see expansion happen in 2012, the NRL is probably the least pro-active sports league in the universe. I'd say 2015 is probably more likely.

I think the next two cabs of the rank should be Perth and either West Brisbane or Sunshine Coast, at which point SE QLD will have enough clubs for a region its size and RL junior base. Perth....well Perth should've never lost its club in the first place.

Longer term, we're looking at Wellington and Adelaide and I'm not sure where else. CC really shouldn't get a team unless a Sydney outfit wants to head north. The market is too full. Also I'd wonder if SE QLD could support more than 3 teams? Then again we're talking 15-20 years from now, so it's a distinct possibility.

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
Look I agree an NFL style sysetem could work, in principle.

Eventually if we get out to 22/24 teams, then it's not a bad idea if we split the competition into two conferences.

But this is decades away, in my opinion.

As much as I'd like to see expansion happen in 2012, the NRL is probably the least pro-active sports league in the universe. I'd say 2015 is probably more likely.

I think the next two cabs of the rank should be Perth and either West Brisbane or Sunshine Coast, at which point SE QLD will have enough clubs for a region its size and RL junior base. Perth....well Perth should've never lost its club in the first place.

Longer term, we're looking at Wellington and Adelaide and I'm not sure where else. CC really shouldn't get a team unless a Sydney outfit wants to head north. The market is too full. Also I'd wonder if SE QLD could support more than 3 teams? Then again we're talking 15-20 years from now, so it's a distinct possibility.

I dont like the fact that the Patriots and Colts arch rivals can never play in the superbowl. i dont think it would be the same if teams like Manly and Parra couldnt play against each other in a GF.

Timbo

Staff member
I dont like the fact that the Patriots and Colts arch rivals can never play in the superbowl. i dont think it would be the same if teams like Manly and Parra couldnt play against each other in a GF.

You don't necessarily need to follow the NFL model for playoffs.

For example, you could take the top 4 teams from each conference, and rank them 1-8 off their regular season performance, then have a normal McIntyre (or hopefully better) style finals system.

So in theory you could have two teams from the same conference in the grand final.

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
You don't necessarily need to follow the NFL model for playoffs.

For example, you could take the top 4 teams from each conference, and rank them 1-8 off their regular season performance, then have a normal McIntyre (or hopefully better) style finals system.

So in theory you could have two teams from the same conference in the grand final.

I like that idea actually, i think it could work and be more fair than the current system we have.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Possible names:

Adelaide Rams
Central Coast Bears
Mackay Diggers
West QLD Jets
PNG Kumuls
WA Reds
Redcliffe Dolphins
Sunshine Coast Falcons
Wellington Orcas

As part of the deal with Manly they've renamed themselves the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles. That's the name they'll use when they get into the QLD Cup. Not sure if they've changed their colours to match the name change though.

Brycey

Juniors
Yeah I know that but we aren't going to have 2 Sea-Eagles in the comp, unless one chooses to relocate lol.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
In an ideal world, where revenues, crowds, participation rates all continue to rise and news hand the reigns back to the ARL I'd like to see.

WA Reds in 2011/12
Wellington in 2012/13

Ipswich Jets in 2017/18
Adelaide in 2018/19

Sunshine Coast sometime after that.

The Titans were strong out of the blocks because they had plenty of time to build a team. Staggering the entries of new teams will help relieve hardships caused by trying to find enough players and also will keep interest high as the expansion takes place over two seasons.

It could all be blown out of the water if a team relocates. ie: If Manly move to the Sunshine Coast then we'd have to fast track in the Central Coast Bears so Northern Sydney has a team to follow, even if it's not actually based in North Sydney.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Yeah I know that but we aren't going to have 2 Sea-Eagles in the comp, unless one chooses to relocate lol.

Yeah true. It'd be interesting to see the the QLD NRL teams named the Broncos, Cowboys, Titans, Jets and Falcons, all NFL team names... I guess if we're going to copy someone it might aswell be the best.

flamin

Juniors
This is all well and good, but Gallop has come out and said (repeatedly I'm sure) that expansion is not in their short term plans. So with that mindset there will be no new teams in 2012.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
This is all well and good, but Gallop has come out and said (repeatedly I'm sure) that expansion is not in their short term plans. So with that mindset there will be no new teams in 2012.

Gallop has said that the NRL has a strategic plan but that they want to keep it confidential. The NRL likes to talk down expansion (possibly so other sports cannot preempt their plans?), even just before the Titans join they were saying the NRL wasn't going to expand.

The fact that the NRL 2IC went out to Perth just for a Jim Beam Cup game and made some encouraging remarks says a lot imo.

One thing to take into account when suggesting expansion isnt viable is that we have effectively not expanded the number of teams since 1988.

In 1988 we had 16 teams , in 2008 we have 16 teams , sure a lot has happened in between , but im sure the game can sustain two extra playing rosters given 20 years ( or 25 by the time expansion happens. )

anyway for the good of the game we need to make Perth and Wellington happen.

greenhat

Juniors
For mine, the most likely one for 2012 is the Reds. If they can make themselves into a successful, well run and well supported QLD cup club within a few years, re-admitting them will look like a fairly low risk move. For the huge potential benefits they could bring to the NRL, they'd be almost impossible to ignore.

I'm not saying it will happen - theres a lot of 'IFs' there for the Reds - but it looks more likely than any of the others.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
In 1988 we had 16 teams , in 2008 we have 16 teams , sure a lot has happened in between , but im sure the game can sustain two extra playing rosters given 20 years ( or 25 by the time expansion happens. )

Good point. Of course we can sustain more teams. People are focusing on the clubs too much and not the REAL issue which is pathetic management that is not accountable to anyone.

How we can not grow our revenue streams etc with all the resources we have is absolutely ridiculous.

Chapsta

Juniors
Out of all the possible expansion areas, the most immediately succesful would be another QLD team or Central Coast. The passion is there & the talent.

Thats why the Titans are steaming ahead in only their second season, because they have grassroots support at all levels of the game (junior talent, fan base & Corporate support).

Eels Dude

Coach
Gallop has said that the NRL has a strategic plan but that they want to keep it confidential. The NRL likes to talk down expansion (possibly so other sports cannot preempt their plans?), even just before the Titans join they were saying the NRL wasn't going to expand.

Can't blame them for talking it down.

Any fan talking expansion at the moment has to look at the big picture. I've love to see another team in Brissy, one in Perth, then in order of preference Central Coast, NZ, Adelaide. Cannot see it happening financially though. Sydney clubs are sturggling at the moment, with the pokie tax, that's not going to change until government legislation kicks in force. And the NRL can't afford to help out the clubs either.

There's no where near enough talent to get extra teams into the comp anyway, we're losing enough players to england, union, etc as it is.

beave

Coach
I suppose though, that is where re-location comes into ED. I don't know WA or SA pokie laws, but are they copping the same pokie tax as the NSW clubs?????? I know people will get $hitty that their sydney based team gets moved to say Adelaide, but at least the name and the clubs history and so forth is still in existence, and lets face it, they will still be playing games in sydney so you can go see them play say 6-7 times a year.

Eels Dude

Coach
One thing to take into account when suggesting expansion isnt viable is that we have effectively not expanded the number of teams since 1988.

anyway for the good of the game we need to make Perth and Wellington happen.

Not quite true. It expanded... then it went it the opposite way... then it expanded again. I'd like to see the NRL expand, but the NRL themselves have to be committed to it. Otherwise we'll just end up with more Crushers and Reds. Which would be sad. So if waiting for the right time to expand has to happen, so be it, as long as the blokes on top put the effort and commit long term.

Can't blame them for talking it down.

Any fan talking expansion at the moment has to look at the big picture. I've love to see another team in Brissy, one in Perth, then in order of preference Central Coast, NZ, Adelaide. Cannot see it happening financially though. Sydney clubs are sturggling at the moment, with the pokie tax, that's not going to change until government legislation kicks in force. And the NRL can't afford to help out the clubs either.

There's no where near enough talent to get extra teams into the comp anyway, we're losing enough players to england, union, etc as it is.

cant agree with you there. The competition has never been so even and with so much depth.

who are these supposed players we are losing to union? 1 or 2 a year?!

union is still losing far more players to rubgy league than we lose to it. Its just that you dont hear about it as we are signing juniors.

and for all the talk about the ESL we are still to lose any top flight players that are at the peak of their powers ( Lyon being an exception , but that was an unusual case)